First look at Silverstone RV03

Hrm, I really wish they had showed the back side and how all the HDD's are stored there along with cable management. It looks like they had an AP181 behind the optical drives for a front intake fan. I wonder how the front drive bays work with an optical unit installed.

Anyone else catch when Tony said the "AP181 on low speed cools the same as the old FM-181 fan on high?"

What's with SilverStone now making cases that rival the old Alienware cases that weren't that great. Some of us aren't 15yo and don't want our systems looking like a carnival ride.

What's with SilverStone now making cases that rival the old Alienware cases that weren't that great. Some of us aren't 15yo and don't want our systems looking like a carnival ride.

I think their RV series are suppose to the appeal to the 1337 g4m3r crowd while the FT series appeals to the people who want a clean/elegant case.

Yep. that's what he said. So I guess they're not worth upgrading to if you have an FT02.

I don't see how they're "not" worth upgrading to. If you can achieve the same cooling performance on LOW with the AP181 as you can on HIGH with the FN181, then on HIGH with the AP181 you'll see an improvement in cooling. For you Omerta, since you stated in the FT02 thread that you run your FN181s on low due to their noise wouldnt the AP181s be a good choice since you'll get better performance at the same noise level?

Silverstone is kicking ass right now!

Excellent design along with the front mounted PSU.

Silverstone owns Hardforum.

I don't see how they're "not" worth upgrading to. If you can achieve the same cooling performance on LOW with the AP181 as you can on HIGH with the FN181, then on HIGH with the AP181 you'll see an improvement in cooling. For you Omerta, since you stated in the FT02 thread that you run your FN181s on low due to their noise wouldnt the AP181s be a good choice since you'll get better performance at the same noise level?

Yeah, but I didn't notice a difference in temps between the high and low settings, and people who did, it was within 2-3 degrees. If you think 80 bucks for 1-3 degrees is worth it, go ahead.

Silverstone is kicking ass right now!

Excellent design along with the front mounted PSU.

Silverstone owns Hardforum.

Honestly, while it's an improvement, it's nearly the same thing. Will provide the same cooling potential. All it really did was make the case not as long and provide better cable management, which is nice. But not out of this ball park nice.

If you think 80 bucks for 1-3 degrees is worth it, go ahead.

Some people will do that just on heatsinks ;)

I still think the RV03 looks very weird. Kind of reminds me of Sonic the Hedgehog.

take a look at the FT03
203929gy8u2rpy88ry0uax.jpg

not liking it

Wow. That looks like a refrigerator. I think the FT01 is the best looking Fortress case by far, I just need to modify the motherboard tray for it to work with my R2E board.

FT03 = EEEEWWWW

Really Silverstone? Nothing "elegant" or "sophisticated" about that, just boring. Thank god it's a prototype.

I actually like the RV03. Much more-so than the previous iterations. I'm not one who generally likes these "gamer" cases but I love how compact it is for a standard ATX case. That FT03 on the other hand...oh my...looks like an awkward cyclops alien or something lol.

I don't see how they're "not" worth upgrading to. If you can achieve the same cooling performance on LOW with the AP181 as you can on HIGH with the FN181, then on HIGH with the AP181 you'll see an improvement in cooling.
Any impedance (restriction) in front of blades lowers fan's airflow and causes more turbulence noise.
And AP181 has such restriction built into fan meaning at same RPM it has lower airflow than exactly same blade geometry FN181. That factor is probably what shows in their account in their specs. (or showed in measurements) AP181 80CFM vs. FN181 100CFM for same RPM.

Lower focused airflow gives sure benefit over more airflow only if component (farther from fan) whose temperature is measured relies on passing airflow for cooling instead of own active cooling.
That FT/RV02's stamped mesh (wire made finger guard would be better) in front of FN181s is notable unknown variable but without it situation would be that clear.

Looks really like some container which is filled up from top and then emptied from that side hatch. (now why I'm thinking about some 200 bucks costing Apple iGarbage can...)
Or maybe some kind stove...

take a look at the FT03

Oh come on now...WTF SS. :rolleyes:

RV03 outside is (as ET would say) "Thermaltrash". :D Ugly as hell.
I understand they want a gamer line (RV) and a sophisticated line (FT), but come on....don't go overboard. That's hideous.
PSU up front, meh. HD behind motherboard? I would assume they will starve for air back there and run hotter than they would in the 02 variants.

Last edited:
Are we sure that's the new FT03 and not one of their mATX or HTPC cases? It looks extremely small to be a full sized FT03. If you look at the front SS emblem/logo, that'll give you some sort of scale for the size of the case. So unless that front logo is something like 2-4" wide, it doesn't look like this is a mid/full tower case.

take a look at the FT03
203929gy8u2rpy88ry0uax.jpg

not liking it

Indeed! If they turn the FT03 into an mATX case I'll be very sad :(

http://translate.google.com/transla...refox-a&hs=AND&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official
http://www.chiphell.com/data/attachment/portal/201005/31/205440e3ds00ud2ffefss9.jpg
http://www.chiphell.com/data/attachment/portal/201005/31/205251a1gv1uuurvafhcxc.jpg

Are we sure that's the new FT03 and not one of their mATX or HTPC cases? It looks extremely small to be a full sized FT03. If you look at the front SS emblem/logo, that'll give you some sort of scale for the size of the case. So unless that front logo is something like 2-4" wide, it doesn't look like this is a mid/full tower case.

Looks to be both.

I used to be a big fan of SilverStone cases, i have 3 of them, an FT02 and 2 TJ03, all silver versions.With the FT02 i started to feel a like disappointed with the brand, the inside hasn't the finish quality the brand used to have, the black version is another story but, it's all black...anyway, looking at this "new" models, i have to say this is more SilverStone disappointment...
This thing is like looking at a Alienware modded case!!! What did they do to their design team????

141802u2eq1255po5lqzpu.jpg

141805pombrckbpllijl7m.jpg

141811ntngaqprlrtwnnlz.jpg

141815hs9ire1wrsss5zqs.jpg

141822u2g9uplpvnpufg22.jpg

1418538fw94b899c9ni69w.jpg

141932mgs6he6nemjv6sdx.jpg

1418486rxw5s8ssx8v6wp0.jpg

141828yo8mfcr4v1y751yy.jpg

141832brz33v0i3rzliilz.jpg

14192945q4q5gk4yj7fqz9.jpg

141859yfjy8fney48yav6e.jpg

141907tnmws7ld6wvw6n7m.jpg

1418372a2aqfaq1f1333ad.jpg

141912zvsrzvi9qrv4n3h9.jpg

141922zpi9v89nzi9ve2v9.jpg

So the RV03 only supports one 5.25 drive unless you want to remove the fans? Is that a push-pull config of AP121s in the upper 5.25 bays? I wonder how toasty the HDDs will get.

With the FT02 i started to feel a like disappointed with the brand, the inside hasn't the finish quality the brand used to have,

FYI, he's talking about the inside of the silver ft02 not being shiny compared to the fully aluminum silverstone cases, which has nothing to do quality. He has no clue what he is talking about.

Necro revival.

Was googling about a successor to the RV02 and found this thread.

That case is good for cooling - but, what if you wanted to install a longer PSU (1000W+ units are large). I like the cooling design and 90 degree angle installation, the cable management and HDD installation is clean too, I just wish they'd use a cleaner asthetic look - like a Lian Li.

I just wish they'd use a cleaner asthetic look - like a Lian Li.

That's what the Temjin and Fortress series are for. The Raven line is supposed to look unconventional and "gamerish."

I agree with the second post... These case designs will appeal to a certain younger crowd but I doubt most of the younger crowd can get away with building their own computer. It's one thing to get a huge xmas present but to ask mommy and daddy for money multiple times for different components has to get old.

Can we please have more classy and functional cases? We know Silverstone is capable.

RV-03/FT-03 and the TJ-11 are pretty much garbage cases.. this new set of flagship is a joke.

The TJ11 is the biggest disappointment.

Can we please have more classy and functional cases? We know Silverstone is capable.

If you think about it, we've only released two cases so far (since 2008) in the RAVEN series and the RV03 will be our third. So that's three RAVEN series cases in three years or one per year. We certainly make a lot more other models in classic styling than we do RAVEN series.

RV-03/FT-03 and the TJ-11 are pretty much garbage cases.. this new set of flagship is a joke.

The TJ11 is the biggest disappointment.

All three cases are quite different from each other with only the 90 degree motherboard orientation being shared. Can you please tell me what you didn't like about them? I would love to know seeing that you are a TJ07 owner.

Tony, is there an official word on when these new cases will be made available?

I know some folks haven't been too excited about these new cases, but I'm really looking forward to the RV-03 and would love to know when it's expected to be available.

Thanks a ton!

All three cases are quite different from each other with only the 90 degree motherboard orientation being shared. Can you please tell me what you didn't like about them? I would love to know seeing that you are a TJ07 owner.

The best thing about the TJ07 is the fact that you can take it apart and do anything with it.. room for rads. Custom builds like murdermods.. Almost limitless possibility.. you can go inverted and standard ATX.

The new TJ11.. incorporates the new streamline Silverstone process.. which is force 90 degree mobo orientation with huge fans under them.

It has no place in a TJ07 V2 case.. Water coolers do not like it and do not want it. 90 degree is not something im interested in.. the case is bigger than the already ridiculously big tj07 for absolutely no benefit.. If you think im just making this up theres a very large thread on XS (a forum that covets and loves the TJ07) and NO one is interested in it.. this includes Charles and Nils.. which are two people that helped make the TJ07 what it is today.

So Cons:
1)Case is huge.. for no reason.. doesn't even support the SR-2.. So what was the point in making it larger?
2)90 Degree Mobo.. seriously there's a place for this and your ft02/rv02 setup is fine.. BUT YOU DON'T HAVE TO PUT IT ON EVERY CASE YOU MAKE..
- Add-on to this.. Most people dont buy $500 cases for air cooling.. they buy it for water cooling. 90 degree only hurts water cooling and makes longer tube length etc.
3)2 Power Buttons and other tacky *USEFUL* features - You obviously have a giant drive bay because you needed to extend the case even further.. this looks very tacky and you should have looked into making a real faceplate for the case.. something like this maybe? http://www.murdermod.com/murdermod-tj07-parts/stealth-faceplate.htm
4)The price- Ive heard rumors of this case being upwards of 600usd.. I can only hope this is a joke and im trying to get some pricing info out of you here.

One more question.. Is the size of the lower compartment larger or is it the same size? Watercooling is moving towards 140x rads and there is not enough room for a 140 in a tj07.. so I guess this could be one benefit if you actually increased the size of the lower compartment in the tj11.

That's really all I feel like typing about right now.. this case is just a real disappoint for me and id consider myself a member of this "hardcore pc user" group that this case is supposedly catered to

Last edited:
Big fan of the layout of the RV series. I love the 90% motherboard position for a number of reasons. I will probably at some point get an RV02 or RV03. I am leaning towards the RV02 though, despite I do like some of the design features of the RV03 (PSU position makes sense, a little shorter, etc) I am just not able to get past the looks of it. The "Spikey" top is a bit of a turn off. I think the RV02 looks sleeker. That might be personal preference of course.

The other case that has my attention is the FT03. I like it, but why not give us a mATX case that's Layout is like an RV02/03 except actually a small size? It could be small, have a window, and I think would look nice without giving people the impression of a trash can (Actually not saying that's all bad but that's just the shape of it.)

Just my 2 cents.

Keep up the good work! No question unless I buy something for a specific style mod that needs a certain case, my personal next case will be a silverstone.

Tony, is there an official word on when these new cases will be made available?

I know some folks haven't been too excited about these new cases, but I'm really looking forward to the RV-03 and would love to know when it's expected to be available.

Thanks a ton!

Thanks! The RV03 will likely not be available until around January next year.

The best thing about the TJ07 is the fact that you can take it apart and do anything with it.. room for rads. Custom builds like murdermods.. Almost limitless possibility.. you can go inverted and standard ATX.

The new TJ11.. incorporates the new streamline Silverstone process.. which is force 90 degree mobo orientation with huge fans under them.

It has no place in a TJ07 V2 case.. Water coolers do not like it and do not want it. 90 degree is not something im interested in.. the case is bigger than the already ridiculously big tj07 for absolutely no benefit.. If you think im just making this up theres a very large thread on XS (a forum that covets and loves the TJ07) and NO one is interested in it.. this includes Charles and Nils.. which are two people that helped make the TJ07 what it is today.

So Cons:
1)Case is huge.. for no reason.. doesn't even support the SR-2.. So what was the point in making it larger?
2)90 Degree Mobo.. seriously there's a place for this and your ft02/rv02 setup is fine.. BUT YOU DON'T HAVE TO PUT IT ON EVERY CASE YOU MAKE..
- Add-on to this.. Most people dont buy $500 cases for air cooling.. they buy it for water cooling. 90 degree only hurts water cooling and makes longer tube length etc.
3)2 Power Buttons and other tacky *USEFUL* features - You obviously have a giant drive bay because you needed to extend the case even further.. this looks very tacky and you should have looked into making a real faceplate for the case.. something like this maybe? http://www.murdermod.com/murdermod-tj07-parts/stealth-faceplate.htm
4)The price- Ive heard rumors of this case being upwards of 600usd.. I can only hope this is a joke and im trying to get some pricing info out of you here.

One more question.. Is the size of the lower compartment larger or is it the same size? Watercooling is moving towards 140x rads and there is not enough room for a 140 in a tj07.. so I guess this could be one benefit if you actually increased the size of the lower compartment in the tj11.

That's really all I feel like typing about right now.. this case is just a real disappoint for me and id consider myself a member of this "hardcore pc user" group that this case is supposedly catered to

Kenjiwing, thanks for taking the time to leave your feedbacks, looks like there were a couple of details about the case I didn't mention before that may have led you to believe we left out.

In essense, we view TJ11 as a bigger brother to the TJ07 so please keep this in mind. When the TJ11 is released, the TJ07 will continue to be in production.

Every part of TJ11 will be assembled by screws, just like the TJ07. We love seeing all the awesome custom works done by users and especially guys at Murdermod so we made sure this feature was retained.

When TJ07 was introduced in 2005, very few people realized it could fit radiators up to 480 (4 x 120mm) size in its lower compartment. In fact most radiators used then were half the size so to a lot of people, TJ07 was unnecessary huge for no good reason. Now with radiators based on 140mm fan starting become more available, we think right now is a good time for us to introduce a larger case that can accommodate 560 (4 x 140mm) radiator. So yes, the TJ11's lower compartment is bigger for more options than TJ07.

Regarding support for SR2, I am with you. I too wish the TJ11 can "officially" support SR2 by default. But please understand that I am only part of a team of people at SilverStone that decide how our product should be made and we go over every detail with lots of discussions and compromises. In the end though, I did agree with most of my colleagues that we shouldn't make TJ11 any bigger than it is now.

Again, I appreciate your interest in what we are doing with our new flagship product. If you have any other concerns or questions, I'd be happy to answer them.

Hey Tony Ou, do you know if there's gonna be a right sided window version (like the RV01) of the RV02/RV02-E or FT02 in the future?
I'm asking because (maybe something like this happens to anybody else too) i received a RV02 as a gift a month ago, but having a 30" monitor and a big desktop i quickly find out that it was impossible to use a cable mouse without having the case, monitor and speakers very close to each other, finally i had to sent it back.
It has a great and silent cooling, but useless if you want to enjoy the nice window it have, at least in my particular case.

Hey Tony Ou, do you know if there's gonna be a right sided window version (like the RV01) of the RV02/RV02-E or FT02 in the future?

My guess would be no, since that would directly compete with the RV03. I believe you mean left side window too. The window is already on the right side of the RV/FT02.

Tony Thanks a bunch for answering questions for us.

Any idea about price when the RV03 goes on sale? Even a ballpark?

PS - from the other thread looking at what appears to be a little newer RV03, dang, that looks alot better imo.

Last edited:
Back