First Notebook

adrift02

Limp Gawd
So I just started business school and am finally breaking down and buying a notebook.

Here is my primary goals:
I will be using a school loan so I want to keep my costs around $1000 (will go up to about $1200 shipped if there is a good reason).

I need a quality screen with very little glare so I can use it outside (I have a great desktop so I expect to only use this when I am away)

Long battery life is a must. I have had a PSP long enough to know what a headache short battery life gives.

I am a gamer, and while I do not expect to game beyond the occasional emulators I am used to computers with strong performance. So, dualcore is a must, 2GB ram a plus, and discrete graphics is hoped for.

Screen size is a factor as I will be carting this thing around a lot. This means I need 15" max.

Other then that, I am leaning towards a XPS M1530 (because I have seen recommendations), Lenovo's seem to be highly liked but I have yet to search through the models, and this guys http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1304430 budget vostro if I find that the extra cash spent wont make a difference for me in the end.

Can't think of much else, except I will obviously use this in class (if that makes a difference). Thanks for the input!

little glare all but limits you to the Lenovo Thinkpads.

Not that that's a bad thing, I'll take my T61P's matte over my DV9500's glossy any day of the week. Yes, the glossy has better colors (especially black), but my matte actually has better viewing angles.

That being said, you can get Quadros for discrete video. I don't think the 570 is in your budget, which would have been the equivalent of an 8600GT series, and I'm not entirely sure where the 140m or whatever the lower end one is ends up.

Budget is your biggest problem with Lenovo. A week ago, I could have given you a contractor code that I got here on the [H], but it's not working any more. Given that, you may want to look at the outlet, as they've had quite a few T series under 1k.

Ok, I did some more searching and am currently considering the following:

Thinkpad T61

Processor: Intel® Core™ 2 Duo processor T8300 (2.4GHz 800MHz 3MBL2) 1
Operating System: Genuine Windows Vista Home Basic 1
Operating System Language: Genuine Windows Vista Home Basic - US English 1
Display type: 14.1 WXGA+ TFT 1
System graphics: nVIDIA Quadro NVS 140M 1
Total memory: 2 GB PC2-5300 DDR2 SDRAM 667MHz SODIMM Memory (2 DIMM) 1
Keyboard: Keyboard US English 1
Pointing device: UltraNav (TrackPoint and TouchPad) 1
Hard drive: 120GB Hard Disk Drive, 5400rpm 1
Optical device: CD-RW/DVD-ROM Combo 24X/24X/24X/8X Max, Ultrabay Slim 1
System expansion slots: PC Card Slot & Express Card Slot 1
Wireless card: ThinkPad 11a/b/g Wi-Fi wireless LAN Mini-PCIe US/EMEA/LA/ANZ 1
Bluetooth: Integrated Bluetooth PAN 1
Wireless WAN: Wireless WAN Ready - Integrated Antenna with no Provider Card Installed 1
Battery: 6 cell Li-Ion Battery 1
Power cord: Country Pack North America 1
Language Pack: Language Pack US English 1

For: $1020

I can't really think of a good reason to get a XPS anymore as I can't get the the same performance for $1,000. For example, even after a 20% off coupon:

M1330

SYSTEM COLOR Tuxedo Black edit
PROCESSOR Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T8300 (2.4GHz/800Mhz FSB/3MB cache) edit
OPERATING SYSTEM Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium Edition edit
LCD AND CAMERA Slim and Light LED Display with VGA Webcam edit
MEMORY 2GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz edit
HARD DRIVE Size: 160GB SATA Hard Drive (5400RPM) edit
INTERNAL OPTICAL DRIVE CD/DVD burner (DVD+/-RW Drive) edit
VIDEO CARD 128MB NVIDIA® GeForce™ 8400M GS edit
WIRELESS CARDS Dell Wireless 1395 802.11g Mini Card edit
BATTERY OPTIONS 85Whr Lithium Ion Battery (9 cell) edit
SOUND OPTIONS High Definition Audio 2.0 edit
FINGERPRINT SCANNER Biometric Fingerprint Reader edit

$1,194.75

Questions about the Levono:

Why can't I get an 8-cell battery for the T61? It only had an option for the 6 and I don't know if this would get me over 3 hours considering the discrete gfx.

Would it be worth the extra $100 for a two year warranty?

I am leaning towards the T61 because I think the 14" screen will make it easier to cart around. I will be typing LOTS of papers on it and I am assuming 14" wont so small its a problem.

So, Lenovo because of quality build, discrete gfx, around my $1,000 budget, and the best screen for using outside in the sun.

Anyone have any disagreements on my those assumptions or have a alternative they would like to propose?

For papers, Lenovo for sure. The keyboards are fantastic. Solid machines all around, can't really go wrong with them.

Another option to consider is the Dell Latitude line.

If you like Macs, Macbooks are great too.

I normally plug for Lenovo but in this case I'm not so sure. The Thinkpad line's few weaknesses seem to be things you're looking for as priorities: screens, gaming capabilities, and price. You seem to have got a T61 down within your price range, so that's dealt with, but despite the matte finish, Thinkpad screens are generally (in my experience) too dim for regular outdoor use, and gaming, though it won't be awful with the Quadro 140M, isn't a high priority for Lenovo either.

That said, a Thinkpad will serve you well for work and non-gaming use. If you've got a good desktop at home, I think you've got a nice computer set up there.

Ok time for a change in pick. After trying some laptops out in stores I decided that 14" or under is too small for me. I would rather deal with the extra bulk and have a 15" (but no bigger). Only thing this would change is going to a R61 instead of a T61.

However, j-dawg what you said about the Lenovo screens bothers me. I was under the impression that having less reflection was better then the high-brightness glossy screens during outside (sunny) use. If this is not true, what would be the best pick for outdoor use? Any lcd glossy screen or is there a standout notebook that I should take a look at?

It's not matte-vs-glossy so much as that Thinkpads generally are not known for bright, outdoor-friendly screens.

I think it's more of a problem with the X-series than the T-series, but I've heard complaints from T-series owners, too.

You might want to check out the Dell xps M1530 with the new LED backlighting lcd's. I hear that led back lighting offers a brighter screen then conventional laptop lcd's.

So I reconsidered some things and made changes to what I need. First, I am dropping discrete graphics for longer battery life. Second, as I said previously I decided that < 14" was too small and now am looking for 15". Also, considering I am now going with integrated graphics, I care less about performance past quick windows/word response and am trying to cut costs farther below $1000.

Considering these changes, my biggest priorities are 1. Low cost 2. Good screen for outside use/overall quality 3. Long battery life

Here is what I am looking at.

ThinkPad R61

Processor: Intel® Core™ 2 Duo processor T8100 (2.1GHz 800MHz 3MBL2)
Operating System: Genuine Windows Vista Home Basic

Operating System Language: Genuine Windows Vista Home Basic US English
Display type: 15.4" WXGA,BT
System graphics: Intel GMA X3100, GM965, 1394, S-Video, PC Card/PCIe
Total memory: 1 GB PC2-5300 DDR2 SDRAM 667MHz SODIMM Memory (2 DIMM)
Keyboard: Keyboard US English 1
Pointing Device: UltraNav (TrackPoint and TouchPad)
Hard Drive: 80 GB Hard Disk Drive, 5400rpm
Optical device: CD-RW/DVD-ROM 24x/24x/24x/8x Max Combo Ultrabay Enhanced
Wireless card: ThinkPad 11a/b/g Wi-Fi wireless LAN Mini-PCIe US/EMEA/LA/ANZ
Bluetooth: Integrated Bluetooth PAN 1
Battery: 6 cell Li-Ion Battery ( 2.4 Ah ) 1
Power cord: Country Pack North America 1
Language Pack: Language Pack US English 1
Accessories and options:
2 year depot 9x5 Next Business Day 41C9169 $69.00 1 $69.00
After coupon (expires 5/26) = $673.99

Also, I am considering upgrading to a 160gb HDD, 2GB ram, and the WSXGA+ screen which would up the total to $817.42

The $673.99 package is assuming I will add a gig of ram and bigger HDD later as needed.

I was looking at Inspirons also. I found that the config for the $400 instant rebate going on now ended up being more (get 350GB HDD and 3GB ram...don't care) than this config after a 25% discount.

Inspiron 1525
SYSTEM COLORJet Black
PROCESSORIntel® Core™ 2 Duo T8300 (2.4GHz/800Mhz FSB/3MB cache)
OPERATING SYSTEMGenuine Windows Vista ® Home Basic Edition
HD DISPLAYHigh Resolution, glossy widescreen 15.4 inch display (1440x900)
VIDEO CARDIntel Graphics Media Accelerator X3100
MEMORY2GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 at 667MHz
HARD DRIVESize: 160GB SATA Hard Drive (5400RPM)
INTERNAL OPTICAL DRIVECD Writer / DVD player (Combo Drive)
WIRELESS NETWORK CARDSDell Wireless 1395 802.11g Mini-Card
INTEGRATED WEBCAMNo Webcam Option
BATTERY OPTIONS56Whr Lithium Ion Battery (6 cell)
SOUND OPTIONSHigh Definition Audio 2.0
2 Year warranty
After 25% off = $898.50

So, I basically have three options. Get the super cheap config R61 for $673.99; upgrade the screen, ram and HDD for $817.42; get a Inspiron with a slightly faster cpu for $898.50.

Now when I personally compare these I would pick the $817.42 R61 because I do not see how spending $72.08 to upgrade from a T8100 to a T8300 is worth it.

What do you guys think? I could be swayed to the Inspiron if the screen was better overall quality and good for outside use (is the R61 as poor for outside as the T61?) or if the battery life was longer. Any pros with the higher priced Inspiron that I am not seeing?

As a side not, Lenovo gets me free shipping and I don't know if Dell does. That would add more to the Inspiron price. Thanks again!

Ya I realized this through further research. Still, I am pretty set on the R61 as it has seems to have everything I want for cheap.

Here is my most recent config that I am thinking about pulling the trigger on.

Thinkpad R61
Intel® Core™ 2 Duo processor T8100 (2.1GHz 800MHz 3MBL2) 959.80
Genuine Windows Vista Home Basic (wiping and loading XP)
Intel GMA X3100, GM965, 1394, S-Video, PC Card/PCIe
2 GB PC2-5300 DDR2 SDRAM 667MHz SODIMM Memory (2 DIMM)
UltraNav (TrackPoint and TouchPad) with Finger Print Reader
160GB Hard Disk Drive, 7200rpm
CD-RW/DVD-ROM 24x/24x/24x/8x Max Combo Ultrabay Enhanced5
ThinkPad 11a/b/g Wi-Fi wireless LAN Mini-PCIe US/EMEA/LA/ANZ
Integrated Bluetooth PAN
6 cell Li-Ion Battery ( 2.4 Ah )60
2 year depot 9x5 Next Business Day

$838.88 Shipped - or for over $50 more I can get the WSXGA+ screen.

My main concern at this point would be screen quality (outdoor/indoor use). If WSXGA+ offers anything other then a bump up in resolution over WXGA I would do it for $50.

Also, even though I have the extended 2 year warranty I didn't know whether it would be worth it to bite the bullet and get accidental damage protection as well...

What do you guys think? Thanks!

Ya I realized this through further research. Still, I am pretty set on the R61 as it has seems to have everything I want for cheap.

Here is my most recent config that I am thinking about pulling the trigger on.

Thinkpad R61
Intel® Core™ 2 Duo processor T8100 (2.1GHz 800MHz 3MBL2) 959.80
Genuine Windows Vista Home Basic (wiping and loading XP)
Intel GMA X3100, GM965, 1394, S-Video, PC Card/PCIe
2 GB PC2-5300 DDR2 SDRAM 667MHz SODIMM Memory (2 DIMM)
UltraNav (TrackPoint and TouchPad) with Finger Print Reader
160GB Hard Disk Drive, 7200rpm
CD-RW/DVD-ROM 24x/24x/24x/8x Max Combo Ultrabay Enhanced5
ThinkPad 11a/b/g Wi-Fi wireless LAN Mini-PCIe US/EMEA/LA/ANZ
Integrated Bluetooth PAN
6 cell Li-Ion Battery ( 2.4 Ah )60
2 year depot 9x5 Next Business Day

$838.88 Shipped - or for over $50 more I can get the WSXGA+ screen.

My main concern at this point would be screen quality (outdoor/indoor use). If WSXGA+ offers anything other then a bump up in resolution over WXGA I would do it for $50.

Also, even though I have the extended 2 year warranty I didn't know whether it would be worth it to bite the bullet and get accidental damage protection as well...

What do you guys think? Thanks!

too big for me... i wouldn't want that to be my mobile laptop that you will be carrying all the time.

i'd check out the dell refurb store for a cheap m1330 if it were me.

I was originally going to go under 15" but I really disliked the small screen size of the ultra mobiles. I am ok sacrificing mobility for a 15".

little glare all but limits you to the Lenovo Thinkpads.

Not that that's a bad thing, I'll take my T61P's matte over my DV9500's glossy any day of the week. Yes, the glossy has better colors (especially black), but my matte actually has better viewing angles.

That being said, you can get Quadros for discrete video. I don't think the 570 is in your budget, which would have been the equivalent of an 8600GT series, and I'm not entirely sure where the 140m or whatever the lower end one is ends up.

Budget is your biggest problem with Lenovo. A week ago, I could have given you a contractor code that I got here on the [H], but it's not working any more. Given that, you may want to look at the outlet, as they've had quite a few T series under 1k.

I have an R61 with the NV140 Quadro card. It's the equivalent of an 8400M GS and does surprisingly well in 3D stuff.

I'm able to play Team Fortress 2 @ 800x600, settings all the way down ... but it's playable, smooth frame rate.

Ordered the R61 yesterday.

42X5954 SBB INTEL CORE2DUO PROC. T8100
42V8011 VBB MS WIN VISTA HOME PREMIUM
42W7261 SBB MSWINVISTA H-PREM64 US ENG
42V9324 SBB 14.1WXGA +TFT,W/OCAM
42X5956 SBB INTLGMA X3100 GM965W/1394
41W2059 VBB 1GB PC2-5300 667MHZ 2DIMM
42V8195 SBB KEYBOARD US ENGLISH
42W7032 SBB ULTRANAV(TRCKP+TOUCHP)
42V8708 SBB 80GB HDD,5400RPM
42V8718 SBB DVDREC.8XMAXDUAL L.ULT.ENH
42V8177 SBB INT.WIRE.WIFI/LINK4965AGN
42V9338 SBB 6 CELL LI-ION BATERRY
41W1787 SBB CPK NORTH AMERICA
42W7087 SBB LP,US ENGLISH

Total is 762.01 after instant 15% off with 4% FW cash back.

Made two mistakes.
Forgot to chose the Media Reader which was free, and probably I should have went with the ThinkPad 11a/b/g Wi-FI card to save up a little. Gonna order 2GB of ram from newegg and all good to go.

I just bought a 1525 from Dell. Inexpensive, but it only comes with the GMA X3100, so gaming isn't really a great idea on it.

Back