First Premier Mastercard with RFID tag or chip

I received my new Mastercard from First Premier Bank awhile ago to replace my Visa because there were fraudulent charges made on the VISA. I just found it today after calling the bank a last week to find out why I couldn't use my VISA, which they informed me that they were no longer carrying ViSA and that they had sent me a new Mastercard to replace the it. Now I have two Mastercards, on platinum and the one replacing the Visa is a Gold. However the new Mastercard has an RFID tag or chip as shown here:

What is the best way to zap or destroy the chip without leaving any evidence or creating a fire hazard as is the case of using a Microwave. I've heard that disposable camera's can be used to create an emp (electro magnetic pulse) to zap these, but there's is nothing I can find that tells how to do this exactly. I want to zap or destroy the chip because I've heard anyone with the right equipment can walk past you and steal you credit card or personal information.

I want to zap or destroy the chip because I've heard anyone with the right equipment can walk past you and steal you credit card or personal information.

Are they stupid? Aren't they trying to prevent fraud? Did you try communicating your concern?

That's not an RFID card, it's EMV otherwise known as Chip and Pin. Leave it alone as in October 2015 you are going to need it as Swipe and Sign won't be allowed.

yeah these are the same chips that are going in ID cards, there fine you have to stick it in a reader, its not RFID and I've had a visa with it for a bit over a month no issues. Also, who cares its a credit card let them deal with the fraud, if your liable for anything on the card from being misused you have a really shitty card and should look into getting a new one

yeah these are the same chips that are going in ID cards, there fine you have to stick it in a reader, its not RFID and I've had a visa with it for a bit over a month no issues. Also, who cares its a credit card let them deal with the fraud, if your liable for anything on the card from being misused you have a really shitty card and should look into getting a new one

I care about the fraud because everytime my card get used fraudulently my card gets a hold placed on it and has to be replaced, so I can't use it until gets replaced and the fraudulent transactions are disputed. This happens to be very frustrating when I can't use my card too.

That's not an RFID card, it's EMV otherwise known as Chip and Pin. Leave it alone as in October 2015 you are going to need it as Swipe and Sign won't be allowed.

I hope your right because I called the bank and the representative told me it was an RFID tag or chip. I'm going to call them back and speak to another representative to confirm this.

I called them back and spoke to another representative to confirm this and you were right. Also no personal or credit information gets transmitted as well. Only the system generated pin or personalized pin gets transmitted. Thanks for your response and many others although I still have some concerns over replacing the swipe and sign, but at least I probably won't have to worry about fraud.

Many countries outside the US have been using EMV bank & credit cards for a couple years now, they work ok. Lots of information about them around the net.

I called them back and spoke to another representative to confirm this and you were right. Also no personal or credit information gets transmitted as well. Only the system generated pin or personalized pin gets transmitted. Thanks for your response and many others although I still have some concerns over replacing the swipe and sign, but at least I probably won't have to worry about fraud.

Did you verify that it was a chip and pin or chip and signature? While both are considered EMV, a lot of banks in the US just won't move over to chip and pin.

Also on a side note: that credit card is one of the worst you can get. Here is a consumer reports article containing it and an alternative that should be cheaper for you:

If your credit is poor
If you have a low credit score, your only option might be a secured card, which requires a security deposit. But some cards are far better than others, and you need to be on alert for onerous fees.

The Capital One Secured MasterCard, which has a 22.9 percent variable APR for purchases, is a decent option for people who want to repair or build their credit history. It reports to all three major credit bureaus. It has a $29 annual fee. The card requires you to put up a minimum security deposit of $49, $99, or $200 depending on your credit worthiness, for an initial credit limit of $200.

Watch out
The First Premier Bank Gold Card has a 36 percent APR for purchases and cash advances, a $95 processing fee, and a $75 annual fee for the first year, which drops to $45 the next year. But at that time, a monthly service fee of $6.25 kicks in, for a total of $120 in setup and maintenance fees from year two onward--all for a card that has an initial credit limit of $300.

America is finally catching up to Canada;). If it was RFID it would likely be for contactless payment and have a symbol. A chip is a chip. It's been years since I've swiped a card and I've been living in Canada, China and the UK. So much better than flaky magnetic strips and more secure.

*I'm not a fan of contactless payment and early systems in the UK were far too sensitive ie. reading a card from you back pocket.

stepbystep4.jpg

I had one of these chip and pin cards over a decade ago in the US. There was absolutely no place that used the chip so after two replacement cycles they removed the chip.

When my business was getting a new credit card terminal, the bank told us that these cards with the chips will be mandatory by 2015 everywhere in the US.

I like what they are doing with these chips.
I was recently at a State University that my niece might be attending.
They were working on a RFID Refrigerator and at first I was like "what a dumb idea"
So what they were trying to do or working on was software for the RFID to sell to major
super markets.

So all the items in your Fridge come with their own RFID that when you place it into your
fridge it would scan it. The RFID has all the expiration information and as you run low or things
expire the supermarket would just send out a new product. The software is customizable by the
end user and you would never have to go shopping again! I for once hate going grocery shopping
and have been using delivery services but this would be a game changer!

As a couple of post have already explained, there's no RFID part in that card, it's just an EMV chip.

My country has used EMW those for 10 years now, and chip + pin is way more secure than swipe and sign. Only annoying part about it is that the chip interface can get worn out over time.
Our cards still support swipe and sign for backwards compatibility, and you can probably still use your card without the PIN until October 2015.
Heck I would not be surprised if small US shops still use swipe and sign 5 years don the road.

All the fraudulent charge cases I have heard about for the last 10 years are from people that have physically lost their wallet with cards and PIN stored together, or from travelling in countries that still use swipe and sign.

Throw it in the microwave for 5 seconds, it will never be read-able again.

Then cut it to many pieces.

I care about the fraud because everytime my card get used fraudulently my card gets a hold placed on it and has to be replaced, so I can't use it until gets replaced and the fraudulent transactions are disputed. This happens to be very frustrating when I can't use my card too.

First. How often do you have fraudulent charges on your card? I use my AMEX constantly and maybe once a year have a suspicious charge. Something's wrong if you are getting more. Also, even If I have said charge there has never been a hold put on my card. If need be a replacement is usually a two day turnaround.

First. How often do you have fraudulent charges on your card? I use my AMEX constantly and maybe once a year have a suspicious charge. Something's wrong if you are getting more. Also, even If I have said charge there has never been a hold put on my card. If need be a replacement is usually a two day turnaround.

I wouldn't say I get them that often, but when it happens it is frustrating because I can't use my card and so on. In case no one else has caught on this is an EMV chip or security chip that scans and uses a pin. No zapping is necessary as these are safe enough from what I can tell. They should have thought of this years ago and not pissed around with RFID too.

I also use am AMEX and when there is a fraudulent charge they put a hold on my account, requiring me to call to unlock the account. After that, they send a new card. Still a fairly rare occurrence for me not to worry about it since I don't rely on credit to purchase things.

Back