FIRST retail box picture of a G92/8800GT, *everything* true!

I saw the "new" 8800GTS in this thread a couple of times. I haven't heard anything about a new 8800GTS, have you all?

Just waiting for newegg to put up a few listings and one of them will be pre-ordered.... by me at least.

You've had some kind of misunderstanding. There is a 256 MB version that is supposed to sell around $200 and a 512 MB version that is already being offered for less than $250. THe 512 MB appears to be outperforming a card that has been selling for $350-$400. I think you'll get what you were waiting for!

My guess is that the 256 will drop into the $160-180 range that has been held so far by the 8600GTS and legacy DX9 cards, and the 512 will sink a little to around $220-230. In any case, I will be getting me a 512 unless something earth-shattering changes between now and the time I can save up for it.

I agree but I have a sneaking suspicion that if ATI's upcoming cards don't match or surpass Nvidia's latest and greatest then your price projections will be a touch off the mark. I can recall the great deals on 8800GTS 320meg and 640meg cards (320meg GTS for ~$220, 640meg GTS for ~310) prior to the launch of ATI's 2900XT. I also remember how fast the prices shot back up after the 2900XT proved to be a huge disappointment.

Everyone seems to be forgetting the obligatory price gouging that takes place for the first few weeks of any video card release. MSRP means jack when demand exceeds supply.

I agree but I have a sneaking suspicion that if ATI's upcoming cards don't match or surpass Nvidia's latest and greatest then your price projections will be a touch off the mark. I can recall the great deals on 8800GTS 320meg and 640meg cards (320meg GTS for ~$220, 640meg GTS for ~310) prior to the launch of ATI's 2900XT. I also remember how fast the prices shot back up after the 2900XT proved to be a huge disappointment.

Yeah, I fear that possibility. One saving grace may be if ATi's cards are subpar but they do killer price cuts and force nVidia to follow suit, like happened on the 2600's. No way the 8600GT and GTS would have dropped so fast otherwise.

This may very well be the video card I've been waiting for, I've been sitting on my X1950 XT for a year and it's gotten a bit long in the tooth. Just need to see how the AMD reply stacks up first but one way or another I'll be spending 250 bucks sometime next month. It is amazing what we're getting for our dollar nowadays, everything just keeps getting cheaper and faster. Yay for competition spurring technological progress for the good of mankind.

This may very well be the video card I've been waiting for, I've been sitting on my X1950 XT for a year and it's gotten a bit long in the tooth. Just need to see how the AMD reply stacks up first but one way or another I'll be spending 250 bucks sometime next month. It is amazing what we're getting for our dollar nowadays, everything just keeps getting cheaper and faster. Yay for competition spurring technological progress for the good of mankind.

Yep, this 8800gt is going to eliminate hunger, cure AIDS, reduce CO2, and bring peace to the middle east.

I hope this thing comes out Monday... I'm starting a 10-12 day water fast on Wednesday and it would be great to be able to play some of these new games I've got but haven't played because my 7900gt is showing it's age.

Everyone seems to be forgetting the obligatory price gouging that takes place for the first few weeks of any video card release. MSRP means jack when demand exceeds supply.

the couple dozen that were sold from clubit went for $229. not very gouge-like.

Based on the review mentioning how much power the card draws, you should be fine.

Awesome...thanks for the info :D Id been looking for the last hour and a half to see how I would fare...and I was starting to think along your lines. Thanks again

I love the new xfx fatality 8800gts 320mb, it keeps up with a 640mb, but its like 320 at newegg.

People are now talking about a re-reporting of the possible release of the 1TF "monster" (separate from the 8800gt) first mentioned informally by an nvidia rep five or six months ago as a November release.

Many (including me) had assumed that this release was being pushed back. Especially as the 8800gt news/rumors started heating up.

Now, due to the statement by the Crysis guy above, some are once again hoping for a new top-tier card from nv in November. And, of course, some never stopped believing/hoping.

Hope that clears things up.

I would love an update from the boy's that were now talking about a re-reporting of the possible release of the 1TF "monster".

Has there been any momentum gain for the believers of a Nov arrivial of the new King?

I still think the Crysis guy's statement hit like a hammer conformation wise, when combined with the nVidia's PR dude, yet the board seemes pretty quite about it...

It leads me to believe that the lions share of people don't buy into it yet....
Or the market for the new High End card was allot smaller than I thought?

I would like to know if the [H]ard forum moderators/staff, are starting to look to Nov 15th or 16th for the 1TF Monster, right along with the Crysis release? ;)

Uh... what???

It doesn't keep up under high memory requirements, and it's both slower and more expensive than the card this thread is actually about...

Did you not hear? It hangs with the 620mb version so it might be better than the 8800gt. But if the cooling is good on the 8800gt then that will be the buy.

Did you not hear? It hangs with the 620mb version so it might be better than the 8800gt. But if the cooling is good on the 8800gt then that will be the buy.

yes. pls buy the fatality gts 320mb. one less person to drive up the price of the GT.

its just too bad the single slot design makes the fan small. It also doesn't exhaust the out the back of the case like GTS did. It's going to be very loud at full load. I'd bet the farm on it

Of course it hangs with the 640 (not 620) version--they are exactly the same card except for the memory size. Note I mentioned that it did NOT hang with the 640 when memory size became a limiting factor, because that's the only design difference between them. Now, compare it to the GT. The GT has more memory than the 320, more shaders, and runs at higher clock speeds. Which do you think is faster? Three guesses...

Did you not see? It DOESN'T hang with the 640 in games that require a lot of memory. That means it will do very poorly in almost any new game at resolutions higher than 1280x1024 with AA on.

Besides, the 8800GT is a lot better than either gts.

Of course it hangs with the 640 (not 620) version--they are exactly the same card except for the memory size. Note I mentioned that it did NOT hang with the 640 when memory size became a limiting factor, because that's the only design difference between them. Now, compare it to the GT. The GT has more memory than the 320, more shaders, and runs at higher clock speeds. Which do you think is faster? Three guesses...

Only three guesses? You're being overly optimistic :p

Back on topic, if the GT has 112 sp, then how many will the new GTX have? and where are the rumors?

Oh i know i just saw that i put 620, and people on here said the 640mb might be faster than the 8800gt. http://www.guru3d.com/article/XFX_8800_GTS_320_Fatal1ty/465/ in a lot of the benches the fatality wins, but if the 8800gt will beat it then it will be a better buy. But i havent seen the 8800gt against a 640mb. Also the fatality beats the 640mb at the highest resolution in most benches too, therefore its a better card than the 640mb.

Oh i know i just saw that i put 620, and people on here said the 640mb might be faster than the 8800gt. http://www.guru3d.com/article/XFX_8800_GTS_320_Fatal1ty/465/ in a lot of the benches the fatality wins, but if the 8800gt will beat it then it will be a better buy. But i havent seen the 8800gt against a 640mb. Also the fatality beats the 640mb at the highest resolution in most benches too, therefore its a better card than the 640mb.

Thanks for the link--it gave me a better picture of where you're coming from. That is an impressive card performance-wise. I would be interested to see it tested in some of the more video-memory-intensive games that [H] has uncovered lately. It's nice to see a "stock" card that is truly OC'ed just about as far as the design can go, and it definitely pays off in the results.

On the other hand, it will be memory-limited in more and more games, it costs $100 more than a standard 320, and you could get close to the same OC on your own with most stock 320's. Now, take the 8800GT, which is expected to cost LESS than a stock 320, will not be as memory-limited, and so far in early benches looks to be performing close to the fatality's numbers at stock, with generous headroom for OCing. Pay $130 or so less and get the same performance with the potential for even more. Plus, lower power draw, single-slot cooler...

Also the fatality beats the 640mb at the highest resolution in most benches too, therefore its a better card than the 640mb.

The fatality version is just an overglorified overclocked version of the same old card. That does not make it better than the 640 because any monkey can hit those speeds with the 640 and will spank that fatality.

Also if you look at the DX10 benches you would see the GTS fatality still performs like shit in DX10 even compared to the GTS 640.

Thanks for the link--it gave me a better picture of where you're coming from. That is an impressive card performance-wise. I would be interested to see it tested in some of the more video-memory-intensive games that [H] has uncovered lately. It's nice to see a "stock" card that is truly OC'ed just about as far as the design can go, and it definitely pays off in the results.

On the other hand, it will be memory-limited in more and more games, it costs $100 more than a standard 320, and you could get close to the same OC on your own with most stock 320's. Now, take the 8800GT, which is expected to cost LESS than a stock 320, will not be as memory-limited, and so far in early benches looks to be performing close to the fatality's numbers at stock, with generous headroom for OCing. Pay $130 or so less and get the same performance with the potential for even more. Plus, lower power draw, single-slot cooler...
Thank you, and also i did see that it is quite expensive, and i just saw some 8800gt true reviews, and i will have to say, holy shit! Its the best card out and its only 250!!
I cant wait to purchase it.

Back