First SSD = problems. Hopefully it is not as bad as I think.

sram

[H]ard|Gawd
Well, I don't really know where to start, but here I go:

I wanted to get a new laptop instead of my old one and I chose lenovo thinkpad W520. It is quite a good laptop with 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 2GB dedicated video card....

Because I can't have enough speed, I also decided to use a ssd drive as a boot drive in my laptop and use the original as data drive. I chose the infamous Crucial M4. I bought the 128GB version. The laptop arrived before, and all things seemed to be okay with it. However, my first ever ssd arriving at my doorstep started all kinds of stupid problems or that's what I like to call them.

The process should have been straightforward. Remove the sata mechanical drive, install the almighty M4 in its place, install windows and viola : A powerful laptop just became more powerful. Unfortunately, that wasn't the case, I'll try to narrate what happened as good as I can.

I booted using my windows 7 DVD, but the installation stopped in the middle saying that it couldn't copy some files. I tried again, same thing. The third time it won't detect the M4 and it is asking for a driver! I started suspecting the DVD/DVD drive so I decided to use the same copy of windows placed in my bootable flash drive. It worked, but it also stopped (At a much later stage) because of a write error. I was clueless, but I still suspected my windows copy. That's when I decided to burn a new one. I swapped the drives and ran windows located in the original drive and burned a new dvd from my windows 7 iso. Swapped the drives again, and tried to install windows with the new dvd and it worked. While in my fresh windows installation(after some time), the system went BSOD all of the sudden. I rebooted and it will just do the same. At this point, I started suspecting the laptop overall thinking it might have some hardware problems. I took out the ssd and put back the sata and played with the laptop for hours and did all kind of things with no sign of problems whatsoever. So, I suspected the ssd again.

However, I wanted to try the ssd one more time to see what happens. I created an image of the original sata drive using acronics and loaded it into the ssd. So that now, the ssd is an identical copy of the boot partition of the original sata drive that came with the laptop. This is to put software problems aside.

I turned on the laptop, and it booted just fine to windows with all the programs that were in the sata drive. However, after few moments the whole system will just freeze and I'm left with nothing to do except pressing and holding the power button to turn the laptop off. It kept doing this and I came to the conclusion that the ssd is just bad.

I initiated a thread here asking whether ssd's will work with sata to USB adapters and when I learned that the answer is yes it became certain to me that the ssd is bad. Because it didn't work that way in my laptop. I was almost ready to return the ssd until I tried it in my main desktop machine(This one). In my desktop, it just worked via the adapter. I couldn't find any errors using HD tune and SSDLife free detected the drive and reported no problems. So, what gives?

I'm now thinking it is a compatibility problem. But if it is, what should I do? What more tests should I do? I just hope everything is good because I don't want to go through the hassle of returning stuff since I'm traveling soon.

What do you guys think?

Any help/comment is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
That sounds like a bad SSD. If the installation medium was bad, it would have manifests more as a read error and not a write error, and with the SSD drive disappearing and your original HDD working I would just RMA the drive and try again.

You say it runs okay in your desktop via the adapter? How about you connect it to you desktop via SATA and update the firmware?

That sounds like a bad SSD. If the installation medium was bad, it would have manifests more as a read error and not a write error, and with the SSD drive disappearing and your original HDD working I would just RMA the drive and try again.
+1

I'm with MW here.

Update:

Bios was set to AHCI. I can choose between AHCI and compatibility mode. When I choose Compatibility mode with the ssd inserted, it will go BSOD immediately. AHCI let me get inside windows and after few moments the whole system will freeze. This is after I updated the BIOS.

I now can run it in the laptop but only in the USB 2.0 ports (Not USB 3.0).

The bluescreen is because you changed the hard disk drivers. Same thing happens when you switch from AHCI to RAID.

I'll try to update the firmware and see what happens

Also check that your laptop has the latest Bios.

I would send and email to Lenovo tech support and see what they have to say about the issue.

Did you try installing windows to the drive while connected to your desktop?

Sounds like a flakey drive to me. While it is rare, it does happen. Don't give up on SSD drives over one bad experience. I have had several mechanical drives either be doa out of the box or die an early death. I have also had 1 OCZ Vertex 2 drive die after about 6 weeks on me. RMA'd it and the replacement has worked just fine.

Don

I think this could be a LPM problem. You should disable LPM in the registry before cloning the installation. Most of the Marvell controlled drives can suffer with this problem. Do a search for LPM and Crucial M4.

Also check that your laptop has the latest Bios.

I would send and email to Lenovo tech support and see what they have to say about the issue.

Did you try installing windows to the drive while connected to your desktop?

Sounds like a flakey drive to me. While it is rare, it does happen. Don't give up on SSD drives over one bad experience. I have had several mechanical drives either be doa out of the box or die an early death. I have also had 1 OCZ Vertex 2 drive die after about 6 weeks on me. RMA'd it and the replacement has worked just fine.

Don

I did update the BIOS, but I still didn't update the drice firmware.

I think this could be a LPM problem. You should disable LPM in the registry before cloning the installation. Most of the Marvell controlled drives can suffer with this problem. Do a search for LPM and Crucial M4.

I'll check this out.

By the way, if I go and install the ssd in my old laptop and there is no AHCI option in the BIOS, is there any chance it will work?

Or do I have to update the BIOS and hope that this option will appear?

Thanks.

Hello again. Take these news:
I put the ssd in my old laptop which didn't even have an option for enabling AHCI in the BIOS. I installed windows 7 and I'm now inside windows with no problems whatsoever! I'm still playing with it. I'll install drivers and common software and will try to re-generate the problem. But, from the looks of it, the ssd is fine! I'm more into thinking that it might be a nasy compatibility problem.

It scored ~ 145 MB/s in HD tune by the way. I'm not sure if this laptop is SATA 1, but I think it is and that's the limiting factor.

waiting for comments...
Thanks.

Last edited:
It scored ~ 145 MB/s in HD tune by the way. I'm not sure if this laptop is SATA 1, but I think it is and that's the limiting factor
Yep, no doubt.

SSDs have no problem running in IDE mode but AHCI puts the "icing on the cake". :)

Maybe there's a trick we're missing with your Lenovo but I have no idea what it could be.

You know what? I'm thinking about doing something:D

I'll just get rid of the almost useless RAID 0 in my main rig and put this crucial SSD in there. The two Velociraptors currently in my RAID 0 array in my desktop will each go to one of my laptops.(I think you can get rid of the extra size, they are essentially 2.5" drives).

This way:

Desktop = Faster
My old & new laptops = Little faster :cool:

What do you think? I don't see lenovo coming up with a solution soon enough to let me forget this temp workaround.

Wow, who would have thunk it?

Nice job on tracking this down and thanks for sharing.

There is prolly a warranty sticker on the VR, and removing them from the rack will prolly void any warranty still on them.

Also, are the connectors in the same spots and regular 2.5 drives. I vaugely remember something about an issue with connector location if you remove them from the rack.

Don

Wow, who would have thunk it?

Nice job on tracking this down and thanks for sharing.

There is prolly a warranty sticker on the VR, and removing them from the rack will prolly void any warranty still on them.

Also, are the connectors in the same spots and regular 2.5 drives. I vaugely remember something about an issue with connector location if you remove them from the rack.

Don

My Velociraptors are relatively old....I don't remember how much warranty is left. I'll check though. As for the connectors, I don't remember myself, will check and come back here!

I don't really care about the warranty...I think I'll just do it!

I don't really care about the warranty...I think I'll just do it!
You're gonna have a big problem.

VR's are to thick for laptops and they run on 12v not the regular 5v on laptops.

Sorry.

VR's are to thick for laptops and they run on 12v not the regular 5v on laptops.

Sorry.

My goodness. I think you are right here! Can't do anything to VR voltage requirements! Sad.

I thought any 2.5" HDD will have the same requirements.

Sorry.
This is indeed the case! the VRs will not work in a laptop.

Have you considered a samsung 830? That drive doesn't appear to be mentioned in the lenovo thread you linked.

Back