First system build since 2004, could use some eyes over my shoulder

jctazzy

Limp Gawd
First, a little history...

This will be only my second build and my first build since 2004 when I made a P4 2.8 Northwood/865PE system. Much has changed since then (and, amazingly a much is still the same) and I could use a little expert advice on my build selections as well as pointers where I might still optimize. My current system is getting WAY long in the tooth and just can't keep up with any recent games:

Current System:
Antec PerformanceII SX635BII case
ASUS P4P800 SE (865 PE chipset)
P4 2.8C Northwood
HIS Radeon X1950PRO AGP (added in 2007... who would have figured AGP'd still be around that long???)
2 GB Kingston PC-3200 RAM
FSP Group SAGA 450W PS
Drives/burners/etc.

It's been a good system but has to be put out to pasture now (web surfing and games for the kids, folding, etc.) now. My intent when I built my current system was to pluck something near the highest level of performance, based on my budget at the time, from a recently outdated standard... essentially picking something near the end of a path as soon as a new path had rolled out. So I bought a Northwood when the price dropped following Prescott/socket 775, I stuck with AGP when PCI-Express was blooming, etc. By doing this I saved a considerable amount of money but essentially backed myself into a corner... I knew that would be the result and that I would wind up where I am now (although I never suspected my current system would still be anywhere near usable as long as it was).

In some ways I may be repeating history a bit (jumping on a Wolfdale/Yorkfield system with Nehalem rolling out) but I would like to still leave myself an upgrade path open for the next year or so, if possible. That's where your recommendations will hopefully come in handy.

Q&A

1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
- Primarily gaming (Fallout 3 rates high on my wish list, Mass Effect as well... Been wanting to play Supreme Commander but it just makes my current CPU cry. I wrapped up Oblivion with expansion packs a while back on my current system but wouldn't mind doing it again maxed out)
- The usual requirements of web surfing, email, some DVD burning (nothing too demanding), etc... none of these tax my current system so I don't see them having much bearing on my build.

2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
- $1050 total, tax and shipping included

3) Where do you live?
- North Carolina

4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. Please be very specific.
- Case, PS, mobo, CPU, RAM, HD, video card, DVD, OS (see below for list)

5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
- HP w2207h 22" widescreen LCD
- One DVD burner (Pioneer 16X DVD+/-R that's still decent)
- Floppy drive, maybe
- Keyboard, mouse, speakers, printer, scanner (assuming drivers work in 64-bit OS)
- Assorted cables and ties... not much else in my current box worth recycling

Everything else in my current system will be left as is, allowing me to pass it on to the kids or perhaps sell it for some additional $$$.

6) Will you be overclocking?
- I do intend to try to take an E8400 to 3.6GHz via FSB bump (see below) only because I like seeing the FSB and memory clocks nicely tied to one another but I don't plan to do any other overclocking.

7) What size monitor do you have or plan to have?
- HP w2207h 22" widescreen LCD

8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
- Within 10 days

9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? etc.
- Firewire
- Prefer PCI-E 2.0
- E-SATA
- Crossfire and/or SLI possible down the road (see below)

Here's what I have put together so far (prices from NewEgg):

Antec 900 Case----------------------------------------- $109
PC Power&Cooling S75QB 750W PS----------- $130 (I picked this in case I decide to try a quad core or CrossFire/SLI in the future)
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3-Ghz--------------------- $165
Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P motherboard-------- $137 (If I head down future Crossfire route)
ASUS P5N-D nForce 750i motherboard-------- $135 (If I head down future SLI route)
Sapphire 100259L Radeon HD 4870 512MB-- $240 (If I head down Crossfire route)
MSI GeForce GTX 260 896MB--------------------- $210 (If I head down SLI route)
Kingston 4GB (2*2GB) DDR2-800 RAM-------- $45
WD Caviar SE16 640GB SATA HD-------------- $70 (Might buy two of these to play around with RAID)
Samsung 22X SATA DVD Burner---------------- $25
MS Windows Vista Home Prem 64-Bit -------- $100

Total for ATI route: ~$1020
Total for Nvidia route: ~$990

My intent is to bump the FSB of the E8400 up to 1600 (4*400) to hit 3.6Ghz as I assume this will fit nicely DDR2-800... although benchmarks may point me in another direction as I tinker. I doubt I will leave any other component in the system overclocked, although I likely won't be able to resist the urge to try it at the beginning. I left a little in the budget in case I get unlucky and can't hit 3.6Ghz on the E8400 out of the box and need to invest in an after-market fan and heatsink. I also figure I'll have to pick up an extra 120mm fan to fill the side vent in the Antec 900. I initially plan to use on-board sound although, depending on the results, may pick up a X-Fi or Xonar a month or so after the initial build. I tend to wear a USB headset when gaming... don't want to wake up the kids, you know... and don't do any serious encoding so sounds cards aren't high on my priority list anyway.

I am trying to leave myself in a position where, 6-12 months down the road, I can pick up another video card for a quick shot of performance boost and/or grab a Core 2 Quad hopefully before they start getting pricey due to scarcity.

The primary difference is whether I go AMD or Nvidia, unless you can see something glaringly wrong. To be honest I had planned to go AMD as I like Crossfire's ability to mix and match a bit (in case I wait too long to buy an exact duplicate) but, from what I can tell, the performance of a GTX 260 is on par (or better, depending on the specific game and drivers in use) with the HD 4870 and the price on the GTX 260 is pretty good.

Thoughts? Can someone see if I am making a wrong turn or recommend a way I can spend a comparable amount of money to get better performance today with the ability to quickly supplement it within the next year as needed?

Thanks!

I recommend going with the Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P, as the Intel P45 chipset is more stable than the NVIDIA SLI chipsets (though EVGA's FTW series are the exception to that rule) and it has some decent combo deals. In fact, go with this:

$310 - Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P & Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 combo deal

versus

$137 - Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P
$165 - Intel Core 2 Duo E8400
====
$302 - Subtotal (not including shipping, taxes, or rebates)

For only $8 more, you could get the E8500 over the E8400. But if you're trying to save some money, go with this combo deal instead:

$250 - Asus P5Q Pro & Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 combo deal

The P5Q Pro has most of the same features as the GA-EP45-UD3P for a bit less. And if you're concerned about eSATA support, all you really need is an eSATA expansion port adapter for your unused SATA ports.

You don't need CrossFire or SLI for the resolution you're using. The GTX 260 (with 216 shader processors) is fine, but its AMD/ATI equivalent is the 1GB HD4870.

RAM, when left on its default BIOS settings, will clock up or down to match the FSB speed of the processor. We often recommend faster RAM, like DDR2 1000, so users don't have to manually adjust the speed settings. If you insist on sticking with DDR2 800 RAM, pick up a set with free shipping, like the G.Skill or the OCZ brands.

You should also get a CPU cooler to aid you in overclocking. A good choice is the Xigmatek HDT-S1283 (and its ACK-I7751 retention bracket).

tiraides

Excellent tips, especially on the P5q Pro and 8400 combo. That's a hefty savings over my original selections :) Using that combo I can pick up the CPU cooler and still remain within my original budget and the difference in cost between DDR2 800 and DDR2 1000 fits as well

eSATA is something I'd like to have for future use so picking it up down the road as an expansion is no biggie.

My hope of keeping CrossFire or SLI open for the future is in case I make the jump to a 30".

Off to NewEgg I go. Thanks!

If you want to keep CrossFire open as an available option, pick up the 1GB HD4870 instead. Unfortunately, VisionTek, the only AMD/ATI-based manufacturer that offers limited lifetime warranties on its cards, doesn't have a 1GB model available. However, Asus, Gigabyte, and HIS are good alternatives (for a 1GB HD4870).

Perhaps the Sapphire 100259-1GL 1GB HD 4870? I've seen a few reports in various forums about 4850s and 4870s running warm, especially using reference coolers. No mention of that on the Sapphire card comments. I don't have any personal history with the brand (Sapphire) and board comments don't give any indication of unusual problems.

As long as you have adequate cooling for everything, "running warm" won't cause the video cards to malfunction. I personally have a hit-or-miss history with Sapphire, but others may tell you something different.

If you're trying to get a good video card for cheap, go towards the GTX 260. You could always sell the card later to recoup some of your money.

I found an additional combo on Vista and DDr2 1066 memory that helped trim costs a bit. There's cheaper RAM out there than this combo deal but none I could find where the ratings are so consistently high. Add a $30 MIR and it makes the deal sweeter... maybe I'll get used to the shiny flash of heat spreaders one day...

Antec 900-------------------------------------------------------$110
PC Power&Cooling S75QB 750W---------------------$130 (+$30 MIR)
ASUS P5Q PRO mobo & Intel e8400 combo-----$250 (+$15 MIR)
MS Windows Vista Home Prem 64-bit and
OCZ Platinum 4GB (2*2GB) DDR2 1066 combo-$176 (+$30 MIR)
MSI GTX 260 896MB with bundled game-----------$210
WD Caviar SE16 640GB SATA HD ------------------$70
Samsung 22x SATA DVD Burner---------------------$25
Arctic Silver tube, Case Fan, etc----------------------$20

Total (before MIRs): $991
Total (after MIRs): $916

That gives me enough to pick up a second WD Caviar SE 16 640GB for RAID and still stay in budget after MIRs are taken into account :)

DON'T COUNT MAIL-IN REBATES. You won't see them until weeks after you order everything -- you'll still have to pay the before-rebate prices at checkout.

There's only a 33MHz (actual) speed difference between DDR2 1000 (which is actually rated for up to 500MHz) and DDR2 1066 (533MHz) memory, which isn't enough (IMO) to offset the difference in price between the G.Skill kit I recommended earlier ($55) and the OCZ Platinum kit you're considering (about $76, assuming that the combo deal savings went directly towards it). You'll reach the same overclocking thresholds with both sets of RAM.

The Corsair TX750 can be found for less than the PC P&C S75QB, and it would work just as well.

OK, some minor connector differences between the PC P&C 750W and Corsair TX750 but nothing that will cause any problems for my proposed system and it's ~$10 cheaper to boot.

On the MIRs, I've played the game a few times before with various companies which is why I'm tracking them separately... however, the savings you've helped me squeeze out will let me tack on that second WD Caviar SE16 640GB now :) I figure if I actually manage to get a check for one of the two MIRs below without going crazy I'll be doing pretty well.

That leaves me with:

Antec 900------------------------------------------------------$110
Corsair CMPSU-750TX-------------------------------------$120 ($20 MIR)
ASUS P5Q PRO mobo & Intel e8400 combo-----$250 ($15 MIR)
MS Windows Vista Home Prem 64-bit--------------$100
G.SKILL 4GB (2*2GB) DDR2 1000-------------------$55
2 WD Caviar SE16 640GB SATA HD ----------------$140

And I'm down to only 2 MIRs worth $35 that I'll have to fight over.

Total (before MIRs): $1030
Shipping: $40

That puts me $20 over the original budget but that's ok... I get an extra drive allowing me to tinker with RAID as a result.

If you don't mind buying from a different site, I recommend getting the Coolermaster RC-690 case from amazon.com for free shipping:
Cooler Master RC-690-KKN1-GP ATX Case - $75

IMO, the RC-690 is a better case since it's cooling performance is the roughly the same as the Antec 900, the construction quality is roughly equal to the Antec 900, and it has significantly better cable management than the Antec 900. Since the RC-690 is cheaper, I highly recommend going with that case.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
If you don't mind buying from a different site, I recommend getting the Coolermaster RC-690 case from amazon.com for free shipping:
Cooler Master RC-690-KKN1-GP ATX Case - $75

IMO, the RC-690 is a better case since it's cooling performance is the roughly the same as the Antec 900, the construction quality is roughly equal to the Antec 900, and it has significantly better cable management than the Antec 900. Since the RC-690 is cheaper, I highly recommend going with that case.

I originally looked at that case from various sites when shopping around but finally settled on the Antec 900 with the intent to do some painting inside the case as well as the cable management enhancements in the second half of this post. Search for "step bill" in the text and that's what I am looking to do. Fortunately I have the tools already... it's sad the 900 completely ignores cable management. Maybe one day Antec will bring out a new version with neatniks in mind.

Ultimately it came down to an aesthetic decision between the Antec 900, CM 690 and TT Armor... plus, with me keeping my PC under my desk, I'll use that little tray on top of the 900 every single day of my life. I wonder if Antec's marketing people are watching :rolleyes:

I originally looked at that case from various sites when shopping around but finally settled on the Antec 900 with the intent to do some painting inside the case as well as the cable management enhancements in the second half of this post. Search for "step bill" in the text and that's what I am looking to do. Fortunately I have the tools already... it's sad the 900 completely ignores cable management. Maybe one day Antec will bring out a new version with neatniks in mind.

Ultimately it came down to an aesthetic decision between the Antec 900, CM 690 and TT Armor... plus, with me keeping my PC under my desk, I'll use that little tray on top of the 900 every single day of my life. I wonder if Antec's marketing people are watching :rolleyes:

However, while I was on Amazon I found this... Antec 900 for $100 with free shipping. That clips $24 off my shipping bill! :)

So now I've got:

Antec 900------------------------------------------------------$100
Corsair CMPSU-750TX-------------------------------------$120 ($20 MIR)
ASUS P5Q PRO mobo & Intel e8400 combo-----$250 ($15 MIR)
MS Windows Vista Home Prem 64-bit--------------$100
G.SKILL 4GB (2*2GB) DDR2 1000-------------------$55
2 WD Caviar SE16 640GB SATA HD ----------------$140

Total (before MIRs): $1020
Shipping: $16

I'm now $14 under budget again, before MIRs. Gosh, guess I'll have to buy another fan or something :D

Almost forgot the CPU cooler mentioned above.

Xigmatek HDT-S1283 (and its ACK-I7751 retention bracket).

No one seems to have any of the retention brackets... newegg, amazon, chiefvalue.

Keeping in mind I'm planning to take an E8400 to 3.6Ghz, any recommendations? Forums are chock full of folks doing this with stock cooling but I'd like to keep my CPU as chilly as my budget allows (~$40 with tweaks in the above list).

jctazzy, that looks OK all the way around. Here are some suggestions though:

Better GFX and Ram deal:
Get the Saphire 4870: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102797 and combo it with corsair DDR2 800 for a total price of $259 - $50 in rebates. The 4870 beats the GTX 260 192 core, and it is a better deal too!

On the Ram:
If you do the above combo you will getting quite a bargain, but you may get stuck at 3.6GHZ(?) on your OC if the ram ends up bottlenecking you. Personally, I don't think it is worth all the extra $55 bucks to buy slightly better ram and a worse GFX card, just for the possibility that you squeek out a few extra mhz

If you want to do crossfire in the future, you need to get a board with 2 X16 PCI-E slots. This is a good pick: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813136051

However, I don't recommend going for Xfire in the future, and most people on these boards don't also seem to think it is a good idea. Most likely, in the future, there will be a single card solution that will outperform both of your 4870s, and the up front costs in providing just the opportunity to do Xfire is $65 to get the better Mobo. However, that is a better mobo even if you don't do Xfire

Some suggestions on power supplies:

If you want to go Corsair go with this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139005&Tpk=corsair 650w
Corsair cmpsu-650: $80 after MIR, and $10 off the initial price. You don't need 750W even if you will Xfire in the future.

Combo the Antec 900 with the Antec 650W neopower for $179 + shipping. That will save you some cash. The psu is not as highly regarded as the Corsairs, however.

Hope this helps. Good luck with your build!

Edit: As far as the retention bracket goes: What I would do is just run it with stock cooling until the retention bracket comes back in stock. Gotta do something with that stock cooler, huh?

As an alternative to the Xigmatek retention bracket, you could purchase a "generic" Socket 775 bolt-thru kit from Sidewinder Computers.

The reason why we don't recommend CrossFire or SLI here:

Markyip1 said:
Just some info on SLI / Crossfire: It's absolutely not worth considering if a) you're gaming at a resolution under 1920x1200 (as you'll see no performance benefit over a single card,) and b) if you plan to buy one card now and another later. SLI / Crossfire as an upgrade path is usually a very poor idea, as by the time you're ready to get that second card, a new single card solution will likely be available that will outperform two of your older cards in tandem. Furthermore, there really is no cost benefit to the SLI Upgrade Route, as any additional cost in getting the new card can be easily mitigated in most situations by selling the original. By avoiding an SLI / Crossfire solution when it will not be of benefit, you gain a cooler running, simpler to maintain system and more importantly, access to a much better (and broader) selection of motherboards.

Unless you're getting a 24 inch or larger monitor within the next 12 months, don't worry so much about getting CrossFire/SLI.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions... I finally got all my parts and pieces together, got some overclocking done and have been loving me some Mass Effect over the last two weeks. Everything has been rock stable with absolutely no complaints :)

My final build list (not counting MIRs)... sourced mostly from NewEgg with a little Amazon thrown in:

Antec 900................................$89
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 (E0)......$165
ASUS P5Q Pro........................$115
CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX PS....$120
SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 4870....$205
CORSAIR 4GB DDR2-800.........$55
WD6400AAKS 640GB..............$70
SAMSUNG 22X DVD Burner......$25
Windows Vista Home Prem 64...$100
ZeroTherm FZ120......................$30 (settled on this when I couldn't get a Xigmatek bracket)
Combo deals at the time............$-75

Total (before MIRs).................$900

Now I have $75 in MIRs that I'll wait to see if I ever get... not holding my breath.

Once I got the Antec 900 I stripped it and did a little painting... black on the outside and on the inside now. Unfortunately, as you can see in the pic, I scratched the be-jaysus out of it getting everything in... I'll be doing a little touch-up painting this weekend.

As warned, cable management in the Antec 900 is lacking. I managed to get about half the PSU cables snaked through the square hole left behind when the PSU retention clip was punched out. The other half I stuffed into split tubing to run up along the drive cages. I think I'll be re-doing the tubing run in the near future as the tubing got kinked a couple of times and it just annoys me.

The e8400/P5Q Pro combo is awesome. Got an E0 stepping CPU and I'm currently running it at a 3.6GHz OC at only 1.10v. Posts on some of my testing here. Undervolted like it is, and in an Antec 900 with a ZeroTherm Zen on top, it clips only about 45ºC running 10 cycles of IntelBurnTest.

Now I'm only debating if I want to pick up 4GB more RAM (overkill, I know, but it's so darn cheap), a multi-card reader and second WD6400AAKS 640GB to tinker with RAID.

Outside pic
Inside pic

Nice build at a great price. Its incredible what you can get for your money these days putting together a c2d or c2q with cpu's, motherboards, and ddr2 ram being so cheap compared to what they were 2 years ago when I put my system together.

You got some great advice and its nice to see someone report back once they get the new rig all together. Enjoy that new PC.

Nice job with the paint.

Thanks Danny Bui and CpuMan! This being only my second build I had a lot of fun doing it... and I had just as much fun discussing the components with folks here.

Aside from touch-up painting the cable run from the PS up the drive cages is really the only thing sticking in my craw. I used split tubing as it was the only thing I could easily source but would really like to see something cleaner. I checked out some Panduit products and similar things at Home Depot and Graybar but nothing really seems suited for this.

Anyone have any ideas to help me clean up the inside just a little more?

Inside pic

I've always disliked the whole look of the 'tubing' deal. I'd go to Home Depot and buy some black zip ties and work from there. Makes it look a hell of a lot better, IMO.

Different strokes I 'spose.

Drakan290

I tried zip ties at first but it didn't conceal the multiple connectors along the length of each cable and I thought it looked shabby so I failed back to the split tubing.

Still hoping to come across something that looks a bit more structured that can be cut to the desired shape and contain 1 1/2" of cable and connector thickness.

Back