First Time Gaming Experience with ATI Eyefinity @ [H]

I've been using EyeFinity for about 6 weeks now, it's especially good since Crossfire support was added.

Currently I'm using two Dell 2408s and one Dell 2410. I have the beta 10.3s installed with the bezel compensation and it is really, really good.

AvP worked right out of the box in DX11 (some wierd lag on ocassion), any Source game works right out of the box, Call of Duty requires the "Dopefish" hack, and Borderlands requires a FOV hack. BUT.....all those games are super in landscape.

My source for "fixes" has been WidescreengamingForum.

Aside from installing the hacks, I've had a really positive experience.....not goin' back.

I'm anxious to see how Metro 2033 runs.

heeeeeee Nvidia get your shit together quick. My scales tipping!

edit: what's with the Logo how do you get rid of that? I'm not interested if I have to play all my games like that.

Curse you Kyle, for not putting this on YouTube! :(

Going to have to wait till I get home from work to see this as I can't view it on a phone. Sounds like it's a great vid though. Can't wait.

Wow -- the BC2 scene was really impressive with the water and moonlight on the left monitor -- looked really immersive. I am still curious about BC2 performance in eyefinity when in a full multiplayer game surrounded by collapsing buildings. It would be great to see some fps plots in different situations.

I'm jealous as hell! I struggle playing games at 1920x1200 -- it's hard to believe how powerful these cards are now.

First I want to say I really appreciate you continuing to cover your experiences with Eyefinity. I am running a rig with an ATI 5870 pushing 2 HP 2475s and one BenQ FP 241W. I mainly play Modern Warfare 2 using the FOV fix from widescreen fixer (and with that fix running it works very well) and also Bad Company 2 which I have no problems at all. On BC 2, I just installed the game, looked for 5760 by 1200 and ran the game. For both of these games I have the graphics set on high with no AA or Aniso and they run very smooth. Are you using Fraps to test the framerates, if so I will try it and post my results. I am assuming Fraps will work with Win 7 and Eyefinity.
Also, do you have any guess when the new thin bezel or bezel-less monitors will be coming out? I have heard a couple of companies are designing units currently.

Thank you very much for the video.

Would like to see more of Battlefield: Bad Company 2's Eyefinity multiplayer experience.

Best regards,

Also, do you have any guess when the new thin bezel or bezel-less monitors will be coming out? I have heard a couple of companies are designing units currently.

I have read a quote from ATI about the Samsung 22" thin bezel monitors being ready late this spring.
If I recall, they were priced at about 600 dollars each. I do not know if they are 60Hz or 120Hz though.

Kyle thanks for that. I had never considered Eyefinity for my 5870 before until I saw this video. Had been happy with a single monitor 1920x1200. However the cost of 2 more 1920x1200 monitors is a no go for me unfortunately due to space, funds and girlfriend constraints!

AMD should have more videos like that to sell the concept better. Still I was doubtful when you and the rest of the [H] were going on about Eyefinity but NOT anymore. It really is awesome and Eyefinity = me want! :)

Keep it up

Wow -- the BC2 scene was really impressive with the water and moonlight on the left monitor -- looked really immersive. I am still curious about BC2 performance in eyefinity when in a full multiplayer game surrounded by collapsing buildings. It would be great to see some fps plots in different situations.

I'm jealous as hell! I struggle playing games at 1920x1200 -- it's hard to believe how powerful these cards are now.

I bought a Sapphire 5870 a couple weeks ago to upgrade from my dual 3870x2's. Honestly, what a difference, it's a jump from 4 3870 gpu's. The 5K series is nuts, I was wondering if I'd get any buyers remorse, but here I am still happy with my decision.

Man.. Now I really need to start saving/ pennypinching to get 2 more 23" displays... Now that I've got my 5750s crossfired, I am really wanting to try Eyefinity!

Oh, here is the wall paper.

Winged_HardOCP_Skull.jpg

Anybody figured out how to move the HUD elements in Supreme Commander? Too bad other games can't take the UI designs you find in MMOs like Everquest where every window is movable, can be whatever size you want, etc.

Anybody figured out how to move the HUD elements in Supreme Commander? Too bad other games can't take the UI designs you find in MMOs like Everquest where every window is movable, can be whatever size you want, etc.

You would think the non-MMO developers would have caught on by now. People love that freedom to customise their UI the way they like it. Pretty much all MMOs these days let you customise your UI, either natively or via 3rd party plugins.

Question for Kyle...

I realize you went with landscape for the benefit of this review due to the larger number of users who appear to be using landscape. It's also clear you typically run your personal setup in portrait mode. I'm wondering if your out of the box experiences are the same in portrait or are there any glitches unique to the portrait setup.

@ Kyle

Have you been able to remove the ATI Crossfire water mark from the right screen yet? Is it maybe a option in Catalyst?, if so shouldn't it be off by default, as it doesn't seem to be useful in any way, and really a problem, as it blocked a fair portion of the monitor.

@ Kyle

Have you been able to remove the ATI Crossfire water mark from the right screen yet? Is it maybe a option in Catalyst?, if so shouldn't it be off by default, as it doesn't seem to be useful in any way, and really a problem, as it blocked a fair portion of the monitor.

If you read the thread, you will see this is addressed several times. The quick answer is yes, it can be removed and yes it's in the CCC.

all the reasonably priced cards are gone at newegg and no 5970's at allllll! :( no eyefinity for me. Should note that in the articles

Eyefinity is working great with all the latest games on this card you can't buy. See this 5970? it's pretty aint it?? Bet you wish you could buy one! Suck it!

Is crossfire + Eyefinity still having issues? Such as not all GPUs working with certain games when in Eyefinity mode.

I THINK its working now with 10.2, but I don't have 3 monitors to try it out yet (saving up for 2 more 23's and an active dp adapter :-p)

Wow... sweet setup. I thought my Dell 24 & Acer 22 were pretty sweet for SC2. I may have to step up my game...

I'm assuming in SC2 it shows the secondary adapter as unavailable? That this is going to keep you from using one (or two) of the monitors for overview/map? That could be sweet....

Kyle, is there any reason you dont run single monitor rez mode defaulting to the MIDDLE monitor, instead of the side panel?

Kyle, is there any reason you dont run single monitor rez mode defaulting to the MIDDLE monitor, instead of the side panel?

He has the right hand monitor set to 'primary display' in Windows7. It's a separate setting from Eyefinity and CCC. You have to do it before you set up an Eyefinity group.

You can set it up however you like, so it would just be his preference (or it landed that way by default and he didn't bother changing it :p ). If you only want to run in spanned mode for gaming, it's as simple as setting up a profile for extended desktops and spanned desktops in CCC. A quick right click to select the profile is all you have to do to switch between. I haven't tried the 10.3's out yet, but I'm looking forward to it.

eyefinityprofiles.png

I'm running an I7-920 w/a 5870 and 6GB in triple channel, and I'm loving it. I own quite a few games, and nearly all of them work perfectly out of the box. Hell even Serious Sam worked (awesome on eyefinity btw). My only wish would be better FOV controls from the devs. Not having very customizable FOV settings in this day and age is just ridiculous.

Last edited:
Awesome review. Makes me want to upgrade my rig...

Kyle,

what kind of keyboard is that?

Thanks for the video Kyle. Eyefinity looks pretty cool. I don't plan on getting an eyefinity setup however, it's always cool to see [H]ard new shit:D.

Nice vid. It's good to see that the 3 big new releases tested worked with minimal hoop jumping out of the box. I think I agree 100% with the feedback on Supreme commander and the HUD. Would like to see it on the 3x Portrait setup. I'll bet AVP and Bad Company are killer on 3x Landscape. Getting to play MW2 at the Eyefinity challenge last year has had me drooling for one of these setups for a while.

anybody want to buy my Camaro so I can build a new Rig? :)

Shane

Kyle,

Appreciate the reply on the dongle. Hadn't heard much on this in the last month or so...

Liquid

But why does my comment elicit such a response? the main reason I said you are overly tolerant is because of the issues I have raised, mainly the giant logo thing wasting a huge chunk of your screen. Thanks to your responses here I know this isn't actually an issue and your judgement of it is justified.

He said like 3 times now. it's just a setting in the catalyst software. you can uncheck it and the logo goes away.

He said like 3 times now. it's just a setting in the catalyst software. you can uncheck it and the logo goes away.
To add to this comment:

The out of box experience for the average user presents minimal problems when trying to experience eyefinity in the three games Kyle tested. That's what the intent was and I think it satisfies the requirement (little to no issues) for most users.

...and Kyle, what happened to the comments on the vid itself? Are we not allowed to add comments to the video?

Back