First Time Laptop Buyer

rusty12

Limp Gawd
Hey guys,

I’m looking to purchase my first laptop and I need some help. I have surfed around in an attempt to find some buying guides for first time purchasers of laptops but I wanted to see what you all could suggest/recommend or throw out any friend advice for me. I usually do well when researching anything tech related but all these laptops, frankly of me overwhelmed.

Ideally, I’d like to be able to find a laptop under the $1000. I’m a 6th year senior college student majoring in Business with two semesters to go. I’d to find something that is as powerful as possible (obviously), good battery life (ability to watch a movie on a plane), and something that is an all around versatile PC. I see myself mostly using it for writing term papers, playing music (iTunes) and movies occasionally and surfing the web. I would love the ability to be able to game (TF2) on it, I don’t think that’ll be much of an option since it would drive up the price.

I’m also having trouble figuring out which brand of laptop to be looking at. Dell’s are common, but aren’t they more or less junk? Reliability/quality is a big thing as well.

Any and all help is appreciated!

Cheers!

Go grab a dell laptop. You could probably snag an inspiron or dell with a decent core 2 duo, 2gb of ram, a 250gb HD, and decent graphics for under a grand. I've had good luck with dell's myself.

If you are looking for higher build quality, go get a thinkpad. IMO, you can't beat the IBM design. They are, however, more expensive. You'll have to trade hardware for build quality. A worthy trade, though, if you plan to travel with the laptop.

Hey guys,

I’m looking to purchase my first laptop and I need some help. I have surfed around in an attempt to find some buying guides for first time purchasers of laptops but I wanted to see what you all could suggest/recommend or throw out any friend advice for me. I usually do well when researching anything tech related but all these laptops, frankly of me overwhelmed.

Ideally, I’d like to be able to find a laptop under the $1000. I’m a 6th year senior college student majoring in Business with two semesters to go. I’d to find something that is as powerful as possible (obviously), good battery life (ability to watch a movie on a plane), and something that is an all around versatile PC. I see myself mostly using it for writing term papers, playing music (iTunes) and movies occasionally and surfing the web. I would love the ability to be able to game (TF2) on it, I don’t think that’ll be much of an option since it would drive up the price.

I’m also having trouble figuring out which brand of laptop to be looking at. Dell’s are common, but aren’t they more or less junk? Reliability/quality is a big thing as well.

Any and all help is appreciated!

Cheers!

TF2 does not require anything super powerful. I got a new Centrino 2 laptop from HP (DV5t)
for $1,300 after using my company's dicount program that can play TF2 at 1680x1050 with
all the sliders turned up. Make sure to take advantage of any discounts you can get as a
student at your college. Your college probably has some deals with Dell or HP.

Here is what I got for $1343.25 (after EPP discounts and before taxes):

HP Pavilion dv5t Entertainment Notebook (Starting at $799.99)
- Windows Vista Home Premium with Service Pack 1 (64-bit)
- Intel Core 2 Duo Processor P8600 (2.4 GHz)
- 15.4" diagonal WSXGA+ High-Definition HP BrightView Widescreen Display (1680 x 1050)
- 3GB DDR2 System Memory
- 512MB Nvidia GeForce 9600M GT
- HP Imprint Finish (Mesh) + Microphone + Webcam + Fingerprint Reader
- Intel(R) WiFi Link 5100AGN and Bluetooth
- 160GB 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive
- SuperMulti 8X DVD+/-R/RW with Double Layer Support
- High Capacity 6 Cell Lithium Ion Battery
- Microsoft(R) Works 9.0
- HP Color Matching Keyboard

My post with pics of my lappy.

Here is a decent configuration for $1,163.99:
Changes from my configuration are in red.
- Windows Vista Home Premium with Service Pack 1 (64-bit)
- Intel Core 2 Duo Processor P8400 (2.26 GHz)
- 15.4" diagonal WSXGA+ High-Definition HP BrightView Widescreen Display (1680 x 1050)
- 2GB DDR2 System Memory
- 512MB Nvidia GeForce 9600M GT
- Webcam Only
- Intel(R) WiFi Link 5100AGN
- 250GB 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive
- SuperMulti 8X DVD+/-R/RW with Double Layer Support
- High Capacity 6 Cell Lithium Ion Battery
- Microsoft(R) Works 9.0
- HP Color Matching Keyboard

What about all the different types of CPU's? I think I've read/heard that the Intel CPU's are better than the ones offered by AMD (not sure by how much though). Even in that case, whats the difference between them. I've seen that Intel for example has the Centrino and Core 2 Duo's? Is a Centrino more like a Celeron, which was like a half-ass pentium right?

6th year senior? Are you getting your masters or what? Double majoring?

"Lots of guys go to college for 6 years."

"Yeah, theyre called doctors."

Uh, yea, I'm double majoring (financial accounting and business mgmt & admin). It also doesn't help when I've had no choice but to move around a few times which leads to different university graduation requirements.

So about those different mobile CPU's?

Core 2 Duo is the way to go. These specific models are the newer less power hungry Centrino 2 CPUs:

P8400 2.26GHz | 1,066MHz FSB | 3M Cache | 25W TDP
P8600 2.40GHz | 1,066MHz FSB | 3M Cache | 25W TDP
P9500 2.53GHz | 1,066MHz FSB | 6M Cache | 25W TDP
T9400 2.53GHz | 1,066MHz FSB | 6M Cache | 35W TDP
T9600 2.80GHz | 1,066MHz FSB | 6M Cache | 35W TDP
X9100 3.06GHz | 1,066MHz FSB | 6M Cache | 44W TDP

Then there is the mysterious 2GHz P7350. Try to stay away from that one. No one knows much about it
and I would not recommend it.

Thanks mentok, that helps me out a little bit. I gotta run to class now, but when I get back I'll do some research and see what I can find as potential suitors.

6th year senior? Are you getting your masters or what? Double majoring?

"Lots of guys go to college for 6 years."

"Yeah, theyre called doctors."

Animal House,Animal House,Animal House,Animal House.:D

Do the Bluto,Do the Bluto:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D Do the Bluto,Do the Bluto:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

I was wondering if you guys could help me out and give me your thoughts on this laptop and whether it's a good deal or not.

http://www.circuitcity.com/rpsm/oid/216506/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

• Intel Core 2 Duo P8400
• 320GB hard drive
• Built-in wireless 802.11agn
• 4GB of DDR2 memory
• Burns DVDs and CDs
• Built-in webcam
• Integrated graphics
• Vista Home Premium (64-bit)

It wouldn't be a deal killer if I can't play TF2 with this b/c of the Intel graphics as I'd take it if for the overall system its still a good deal.

Not that good of a deal considering that you could get this Dell Studio laptop:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8907052&type=product&id=1213046783444

It's $150 less and all you're losing, compared to the HP laptop, is 126Mhz in CPU speed, Wireless N compatibility. You gain 10W more power (The T8400 (HP) uses 25W whereas the T8100 (Dell) uses 35W) and a slightly bigger laptop (Dell is 15.4" whereas the HP is 14.1")

None of the two laptops will play TF2 well though.

After researching more models I realize that particular model at CC is nothing special. I have found an HP that I like much much more and one that I think is much better for the price. I could go a slightly different route while keeping the majority of the specs in place.

This is the first one I'm looking at, which I think I like the most. The only thing that I'm slightly hesitant about is the processor is only 2Ghz. It does have 4 gigs of ram and it is one of the newer Centrino 2 processors so I'm wondering that'll be ok?

2nd option

3rd & 4th option

If you guys could help me out with this I'd so much appreciate it. I'm looking to try and seal the deal either today or tomorrow!

Yes the 2Ghz P7350 is more than enough for your needs. Core 2 Duo CPUs are ridiculously fast, even at their lower clock speeds. Anyway, the CPUs in option 3 and 4 is only 266Mhz faster than the CPUs in Option 1 and 2. Not worth the trouble or extra costs. So drop those from consideration.

The graphics card in Option2 isn't that much better than integrated graphics. But it is step up. Only problem is that you'll take a hit in battery life if you go with Option 2. About 30min to an hour less give or take than Option 1. So decide if the small gaming ability is worth the loss in battery life.

Back