First Time Overclock and Killed It?

AnNiMosSiTY

Limp Gawd
Hello, Ive been wanting to upgrade my PC and I figured I would give OCing a try to get a little more out of my system since its free.

I have a
Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 Mobo with a dual core E6400
Zalman CPU Cooler ( cant remember model but it was best at time of purchase)
4 GB Ram
8800 GTX
520 Coolmax PSU

System is a couple years old, I built it the first week WoW: Burning Crusade was released.

I tried OCing my first time a couple days ago, after much reading it seemed pretty simple to go for a mild overclock.

I went into the BIOS and the GB mobo has the tweak M.I.T feature to edit your FSB, Vcore etc...

I tried some popular settings with this setup. I tried the following

2.40GHz: 300mhz FSB, DDR2-800mhz, no CPU voltage increase.
· 2.56GHz: 320mhz FSB, DDR2-800mhz, no CPU voltage increase.
· 2.80GHz: 350mhz FSB, DDR2-800mhz, .1v CPU voltage increase.

·
The 2.80 made it for about 5 minutes and my pc would crash. I tried 2.56 and it made it a little while longer but would crash when I would close programs. I then tried 2.40 and had the mobo set the voltage to auto which was default.

After that my PC would not boot, when I press the power button all the fans and lights start then they all stop 5 seconds later then start again. It will just keep repeating this over and over. I thought my PSU was just fucked since I have seen PC's do the same thing as this and it was just a bad PSU.

I hooked my PSU to my brothers system and it worked just fine so its not the PSU. I unhooked all my componenets 1 by 1 in case that was it and I had the same results. Is there anything else I can try or am I pretty much fucked and something on my Mobo got toasted?

This is my motherboard I'm using

http://www.nordichardware.com/Reviews/?page=1&skrivelse=502

Hello, Ive been wanting to upgrade my PC and I figured I would give OCing a try to get a little more out of my system since its free.

I have a
Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 Mobo with a dual core E6400
Zalman CPU Cooler ( cant remember model but it was best at time of purchase)
4 GB Ram
8800 GTX
520 Coolmax PSU

System is a couple years old, I built it the first week WoW: Burning Crusade was released.

I tried OCing my first time a couple days ago, after much reading it seemed pretty simple to go for a mild overclock.

I went into the BIOS and the GB mobo has the tweak M.I.T feature to edit your FSB, Vcore etc...

I tried some popular settings with this setup. I tried the following

2.40GHz: 300mhz FSB, DDR2-800mhz, no CPU voltage increase.
· 2.56GHz: 320mhz FSB, DDR2-800mhz, no CPU voltage increase.
· 2.80GHz: 350mhz FSB, DDR2-800mhz, .1v CPU voltage increase.

·
The 2.80 made it for about 5 minutes and my pc would crash. I tried 2.56 and it made it a little while longer but would crash when I would close programs. I then tried 2.40 and had the mobo set the voltage to auto which was default.

After that my PC would not boot, when I press the power button all the fans and lights start then they all stop 5 seconds later then start again. It will just keep repeating this over and over. I thought my PSU was just fucked since I have seen PC's do the same thing as this and it was just a bad PSU.

I hooked my PSU to my brothers system and it worked just fine so its not the PSU. I unhooked all my componenets 1 by 1 in case that was it and I had the same results. Is there anything else I can try or am I pretty much fucked and something on my Mobo got toasted?

This is my motherboard I'm using

http://www.nordichardware.com/Reviews/?page=1&skrivelse=502

have you tried resetting the cmos...?

1. don't just turn your computer off, unplug it from the wall or take the plug out of the back of the psu...

2. take out the cmos battery for about 5-10 seconds...

3. put the battery back in and plug the computer back up and try starting it...

have you tried resetting the cmos...?

1. don't just turn your computer off, unplug it from the wall or take the plug out of the back of the psu...

2. take out the cmos battery for about 5-10 seconds...

3. put the battery back in and plug the computer back up and try starting it...

From recent experiance that doesnt allways work. It used to be that floating a few VCC's (removing the battery) was good enought to clear said memory, but these days that stuff will hold a charge for an anoyingly long amount of time. All motherboards come with a clear CMOS jumper, If I were you I'd look for that and short those two pins if a jumpers not around.

From recent experiance that doesnt allways work. It used to be that floating a few VCC's (removing the battery) was good enought to clear said memory, but these days that stuff will hold a charge for an anoyingly long amount of time. All motherboards come with a clear CMOS jumper, If I were you I'd look for that and short those two pins if a jumpers not around.

indeed, in my case a few DAYS without the battery (at least i never got it to reset with the battery out...) im wondering if anyone else has ever run into this, i get the feeling that for the most part my cmos is NVRAM, with the exception of the time clock as that will always reset when i pop the battery..

anyway sounds like a bios reset is in order, maybe a ram swap, the sudden difference in voltages frequencys and timing on the older ram may have done it in, but reseat every thing (cpu, ram, cards) befor you start swaping parts

thanks for the addition, this is of course can be true and I neglected to mention it, but just removing the battery always worked for me on my Gigabyte GA P35 S3G so I figured it'd work on his Gigabyte also, especially since it's an older board...

I will try removing the battery, I had the psu unhooked for a couple days and tried it as well cause i know some parts hold charge but still had the same results.

I'll go try the cmon battery right now.

It wooooooooooorked!!! thank you all!!!!!!!

Why would a small OC do this? I think i might steer clear of this for a while this kinda of scared me lol.

The reboot loop is normal and it is the board trying to automatically compensate/adjust for hardware and settings it is having trouble with. Post a link to your memory. More than likely you have memory that wants more than the stock 1.8v to work at higher speeds and it is giving the machine heartburn starting up.

If the Memory Multiplier was left on the Auto setting it was almost certainly trying to run your ran faster than spec. Set it to 2.0 (and double check it every time you go into the bios) until you find your CPU overclock.

Increase MCH voltage to the next available setting.

Check the manuf website for memory voltage recommendations, If you have high performance ram it will want more than the stock 1.8V. Until then give it +.1V (1.8 + .1V = 1.9V) which should be safe for any memory and may be enough to help the memory work properly. 2.0 or 2.1 is what most memory likes but until you check the manuf specs on your exact memory sticks, 1.9 will do.

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1169366

Some good news. There is only one way you can damage anything with OCing a C2D. Be careful with the Vcore setting. It will allow you to set high voltages that will fry your CPU. Do not be too concerned but that is the one setting I triple check what I put in before leaving the MIT menu if I change it. Anything under 1.40 V is OK, anything over you need to make sure you know your particular CPU max voltage. A mistake such as putting in 2.4V when you really intended 1.4V would be very bad.

Anything else, high temps, mis-configured settings. etc. the machine will shut itself down before anything is damaged and as you have seen, a CMOS reset will bring it back. So do not let your first tries discourage you. Once you understand how it works its easy to get plenty of free performance with no decrease in component life or reliability.

Last edited:
Haha pretty sure all modern cpu don't fry, setting the vcore too high causes the cpu to heat up but they have a thermal threshold and will simply shutdown before they would heat so much as to cause damage....old cpu this was possible new cpu almost 100% sure this isn't possible, having sets of macthed ram with head room to push them higher will net better results since rams /cpu speed is increased across the board when stepping, try to reset your bios setting via jumpers/buttons w/e, by the by if you don't have a clue about what I'am talking about you really shouldn't be ocing anything til you do some research, pcs lock and reseting is common when stepping a system to find it's sweet spot BTW.

Last edited:
Ok I changed the MCH Voltage to 2.0 since I checked manu and it was fine. I set the memory multi to 2.0.

I changed CPU FSB to 320 MHZ. It's running I will give it a shot and see how stable it is. CPUID shows my memory running at 1.8v still though.

Coolmax PSU = setting yourself up for failure

8.9 years heh

You never visit the power supply forum in 8.9 years??

Always when you overclock and your computer just turn on with fans and power LEN on but no POST or image, just do what was said above, unplug computer from outlet and use CMOS restarting jumper or button. If you can't find it that just a battery removal method should work also.

Dude go check out JohnnyGURU....they break it down old school style on psu, tell you parent manufactures of rebranded products like corsair aka seasonic etc....plus they put the psus they review through the gauntlet to standards above and beyond what they will ever likely see in the real world and most importantly they are unbaised and cut through all the commercial fluff retailers and manufactures try to sell us. Good reading over there.

I will check that site out. I might just request a refund from newegg since i thought my psu was bad is why i ordered it.

I wanted to thank everyone who helped. My machine is running solid and i will definately be OCing my future rigs.

Back