First Watercooling Setup in a V1010. Help me out.

TheBlueChanell

Supreme [H]ardness
I'm planning on throwing together my first water cooling loop. I'm going to be cooling the CPU and GPU(s). The main goal of this is to push my P2 while keeping the temps in check and while doing so quietly. Here's the components that are pretty much set in stone and the ones I have questions about.

Loop:
Apogee GTZ, MCW60 Rev. 2, MCP655

Hardware:
MSI 790FX-GD70, Phenom 2 955, and either 1 or 2 HD4890's.

Radiator:
I researched radiators a bit and I've come to the conclusion that the Swiftech MCR-320 is my radiator of choice because It provides good performance and it will do so with quieter, lower CFM fans. I realize the Feser's or PA102.3 would be better but those require extremely high DBA/CFM fans.

I'm not sure weather or not I should get the Res version that has a built in Res and a fill port, or if I should just go with a Vanilla model and get a Micro Res v2.

Fans:
I'm probably going to be getting 1600RPM S-Flex's but I'm not sure how many I need for the 360mm Radiator or if I should get the 1900RPM version. I have a feeling that the 1900rrm may be to loud but that again I'm not too sure.

I would go with Noctua's because I have had great luck with them but I like the S-Flex's because they are black and will match the rest of my build.

Tubing
I'm a bit confused by tubing. I understand or at least I think I do that, ID is inner diameter and OD is outer diameter but I'm not too versed with the pro's/con's of each. I like the look of the fatter tubing and I'd assume that's 1/2" OD. I'm probably going to go with tygon but I'm not sure about size and how much I should purchase. Would 3 or 4 feet be enough to get the job done and be safe in case I fuck it up? haha.

Here's some examples of the tubing size I like.

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f164/DarkProdigy145/resize0293.jpg
http://i538.photobucket.com/albums/ff345/Zeustek/IMG_8268.jpg
http://i538.photobucket.com/albums/ff345/Zeustek/IMG_8268.jpg

Misc:
What kind of fluid should I use? It seems no matter where I look, read and ask I get different responses. Should I use some distilled water with additives and if so what kind? Should I purchase something like PrimoChill or Fluid XP.

Thanks for taking the time to read please let me know what you guys think and give me any advice you can think of. I'm willing to listen to it all. I'll get a work log going as soon as I start the project. I plan to paint the interior of the case black and install a new power switch so that will all get done before the water cooling gets put into motion.

only get the reservoir version of the MCR320 if u can mount it vertically, with the barbs side on the bottom. thats the only way it will work. if you can't do that, get the regular or stackable version.

My suggestion would be to get the regular one with a MicroRes for more flexibility and you can keep the res if you plan to change out the rad.

for a 320 radiator you'll need 3. Only get 1500+ rpm fans if you can control it via fan controller. you dont want 3x1500+rpm fans + all your other system fans spinning that fast when you're just idling the PC.

most noobs should use 7/16"ID (inner diameter) 5/8"OD (outer diameter) tubing from Masterkleer. It is cheap flexible and has a smaller radius so u can bend it easily without kinking. and its also MUCH cheaper than Tygon.

for the BEST COOLING, your only option is to use plain distilled water + PT Nuke (or 1 x silver killcoil.) PT Nuke and Silver Killcoil are interchangeable, but do not use both. <~ They are used to kill algae and bacteria in a loop. if you MUST color the loop, your best bet is to use cheapo food coloring. A few drops won't hurt your temps much and won't damage your parts.
All those "coolants" are 75% marketting and overpriced.

also, don't forget you need barbs (aka fittings) you'll need 2 for the reservoir, 2 for your CPU block (but it may come with them already) http://www.petrastechshop.com/dadenpesefig.html those are perfect for the 7/16"ID 5/8" OD Tubing. also, don't forget steel worm clamps for every connection

Why don't u take a look at my loop in my signature for some other ideas such as a different pump/reservoir combination such as the MCP355 + XSPC Reservoir Top for that pump. It combines the pump/res into one and the pump performs great in that combination. (the pump is also smaller, and gives more pressure.)

hope i've helped. keep them coming!

The Feser/Thermochill radiators are both optimized for medium-low speed fans; the HWLabs GTX series require the high speed/pressure fans.

3x120=360, swiftech is just odd with that naming scheme.

Those fans are pretty nice, 28dB is audible when you're sitting next to it but it's FAR from loud. I like to know my computer is on without needing to look for a little blinky light, so anything around 30dB is great because it's completely drowned out by radio/TV at normal listening levels.

I'd suggest atleast 8 feet of tubing because it's better to get a little extra than to run out and have to pay shipping again. Plus for your first time it allows for a few mistakes. Which type of tubing depends on what color you want. Eg. for a nice dark blue the Feser blue is very nice; you'll have to change clear tubing more often if you care about it clouding.

i'd suggest more than 8 feet, more like 15. You wouldn't want to re-order 3 feet of tubing for $1.50 + 8 shipping would u? you're going to end up needing it anyway.

The Feser/Thermochill radiators are both optimized for medium-low speed fans; the HWLabs GTX series require the high speed/pressure fans.

3x120=360, swiftech is just odd with that naming scheme.

Those fans are pretty nice, 28dB is audible when you're sitting next to it but it's FAR from loud. I like to know my computer is on without needing to look for a little blinky light, so anything around 30dB is great because it's completely drowned out by radio/TV at normal listening levels.

I'd suggest atleast 8 feet of tubing because it's better to get a little extra than to run out and have to pay shipping again. Plus for your first time it allows for a few mistakes. Which type of tubing depends on what color you want. Eg. for a nice dark blue the Feser blue is very nice; you'll have to change clear tubing more often if you care about it clouding.

I remember reading that Feser was made for high CFM/Pressure fans but I could of been mistaken.

i'd suggest more than 8 feet, more like 15. You wouldn't want to re-order 3 feet of tubing for $1.50 + 8 shipping would u? you're going to end up needing it anyway.

I'm using an 18"x18"x24" case and I only used about six feet total for CPU, NB and GPU in one loop. 8 feet will be enough for at least two normal tower cases assuming the installer isn't a total idiot. Also, some tubes tend to pick up colors from anything they touch with remotely soluble pigments (they'll leach color from different colore tubes if you store them together) so you need to make sure the extra tubing gets wrapped in crate paper or something (not newspaper or plastic bags)

Back