"Fix" an SSD just by secure erasing/formatting?

jkrafcik

Weaksauce
I have an Intel X25-M 120GB solid state drive that I think was causing me to crash frequently. I chkdsk'd it and found some issues. Intel's solid-state drive toolbox's diagnostics said there were problems, so I bought a new drive, copied the contents over, and just got an RMA. However, after I performed a secure erase and then formatted the old Intel X25-M and ran the diagnostic scan again, there were no errors.

Is it possible to "save" an SSD just by secure erasing/formatting, or do you think this is a fluke/limitation of the Intel diagnostic tool and formatting just covered up the problem?

SSD's usually include "extra" blocks that are used in case there are failures, it may be that your secure erase caused it to mark the bad blocks as unuable and replace them with the redundant ones.

Am I more likely to have more bad blocks now than a fresh drive? Wondering if I should just RMA anyway -- costs me $5 in shipping.

I had a similar issue with my old 80GB X-25M G2 where windows would start crashing after a few months, and errors were found on the drive. Secure erase seemed to fix the issues, but it'd crop up again and again, causing me to secure erase and reinstall many times.

Finally had enough... I RMA'd it, sold it and now I'm on my current M4 and couldn't be happier... well, that's until the Samsung 830's are back in stock in my local shop.

Am I more likely to have more bad blocks now than a fresh drive? Wondering if I should just RMA anyway -- costs me $5 in shipping.

RMA is the safest bet, I've tried to muddle through SSD problems and its really more hassle than its worth, especially since they are tiny and easy to ship.

RMA is the safest bet, I've tried to muddle through SSD problems and its really more hassle than its worth, especially since they are tiny and easy to ship.

Yep.

Don't screw with it, just send it back.

Back