Fixing a Speaker

Stick the end of a vacuum cleaner on it and turn it on. Don't turn the vacuum on before hand. It would also be beneficial to be able to control the suction by opening up the little air hole and then slowly covering it up until it pops that dome back out.

It really shouldn't affect the audio produced by the speaker much, but you should be able to fix it pretty easily. We've got a lot of kids in the family and so I've had to deal with a squished speaker a time or two.

A vacuum cleaner may be too strong for that and could teat the paper cone... my favorite thing to do is get a styrofoam cup and poke a little hole in the bottom of it. Then place the top of the cup squarely over the speaker and put your mouth on the hole you poked, and then suck or gently inhale. You should be able to 'pop' the dent back out this way.

Patience is a virtue, slow and steady.

You can use a plastic dixie cup for this too, but styrofoam seems to work better (you get a better seal).

I got some good results from a vacuum; its at about half the diameter now. Thanks, I'll keep working on it.

dust cover for the voice coil, not critical. In the Stereo shop we used to use a bent pin ( "L" shape) or sewing needle (a slim one) just poke a tiny hole and use the bend to help pop it back out. A tiny dot of rubber cement found over the hole if you are paranoid.

Definitely gonna work on it until it looks good. I'll try a needle as a last resort.

just get a piece of gum on it lol. I had exactly the same issue and I'll be surprised if it effected the sound at all. The gum thing works btw just don't make it all slobbery first.

Back