fixing artifacting cards

x1600c

Limp Gawd
which components on a video card cause artifacting and can it be fixed by a consumer.

I'd try underclocking the ram / gpu with a tweaking utility. Sometimes when powersupplies are overdrawn the video corrupts too. Unplug some unneccessary components and try again. I get artifacts with my card from drivers often too. Again, try different drivers.
Can you not send the video card back for repair / replacement under warranty?

x1600c said:
what if it happens during the post?
Well, try stripping everything from the motherboard except the harddrive, and video card, 1 stick of ram etc. See if it POSTs on that.

x1600c said:
what if it happens during the post?

ususally means one or more of the memory modules are corrupt. If you did anything to it at all physically chances are it was you. You can strip the card and try cleaning it, but more often then not its simply terminal.

Can you be more specific? What kind of artifacting? What video card?
Newer vid cards can display significant corruption simply because they're not receiving clean/sufficient power. Or depending on the artifacting, it could be as simple as a bad monitor cable.

the screen fills up with random blocks of grey. and there are scattered dots of color.. note that the card was able to run for monts in its current config, so I don't think power is an issue. the card is an XFX6800NU and the psu is a 350 antec trueblue

try slapping it on another computer if it comes up clean it could be your powersupply. my vantec 520a was causing video corruptoin while in 3d. with my 9800pro and 6800gt. while not any problems with a low in card like the aiw 7500.

it does not "come up clean"... anyway I got an RMA#
thanks for the help everyone

Back