flashing 8Mbit bios chip with a 4Mbit board

What will happen?

I've read the bios really only uses a fraction of the available rom... will it work at all? or will memory addresses get f'd royally?

Thanks,

N

It depends how the 8mbit BIOS is structured.
If its intended for use with your hardware and the last 4mbits are purely extensions for RAID etc, it may work.

If your motherboard has a method for recovering the BIOS in the event of a bad failure, then you may not lose the board but you take a risk.
If the BIOS chip is replacable you should be able to find someone who can help blow it back again.
Using the wrong BIOS can damage the motherboard.

well what I want to do is flash the bios of my Asus P5W DH Delus from v502 to v802 so that I can post with my E6600 core2duo. The only system I have available to do the flash is my Asus P4C800 Deluxe.

The P5W DH is a 8Mbit rom, the P4C800 is a 4Mbit rom.

I ordered a new bios chip from asus (free), but I am just dieing to get this system up and running. I may just flash it and see what happens.

N

Unless someone posts here to say that the P4C800 board can fully read/write an 8mbit BIOS, I wouldnt do it.
If the board cant support 8Mbit at best it wont work, at worst you will damage your P5W when you use 1/2 a BIOS.

The chances of the second 1/2 of the BIOS not being required are slim.

Back