Flatout 2

I've been playing this on my SGI 24" Widescreen CRT at 1920X1440 everything maxed and I haven't had any squished looking cars or anything. My monitor is a 16:10 widescreen not the standard 16:9. Also, a friend of mine bought this game and his locks up hard on the high jump and sometimes it locks during single player. He ran prime95 for 25 hours with no problems. Does anyone have any idea what he could try to fix the problem? He and his kids love playing it but when it hard freezes all the time, well that just sux! Thanks

I bet he has a dual core AMD and doesn't have the AMD dual core optimization thingy installed. I had the same problem, then I read somewhere else that it was my problem :)

Been playing this with max settings, 4xTS SSAA and 16xAF in 1600 1200, runs well on my 7950 GX2, very cool game :)

ScreamingBroccoli said:
I bet he has a dual core AMD and doesn't have the AMD dual core optimization thingy installed. I had the same problem, then I read somewhere else that it was my problem :)

I had to install the optimization program also to stop my FO2 from crashing.

Had a pretty decent time with this. Ran fine on my rig...it seems to be quite the forgiving engine w/ great effects. Tho I haven't tried multi yet...

Damn it. Everytime I try to connect online with this it just sits at Connecting to Gamespy. Is there a port I have to open?

I have never played a driving game previously. The only input devices I possess is a Saitek keyboard and MX518 mouse. Would I be able use Flatout 2 with just these?

or

Would I be better off getting some other input device?
If yes to above, what brand/type would you recommend?

TIA

Using just the keyboard is fine for this game, but if you want to spend money or get into driving sims, a logitech momo is the way to go.

Thank you for the prompt reply. I will try the game and look at the Momo if the game grabs me.

Actually, I think the Logitech Driving Force Pro is a better wheel than the Momo, and although it is marketed as a Playstation device it is really just usb and works fine under windows. If you Google around a bit I think you'll find a many similar opinions.

That said, I posted my opinion of FO2 in another thread... basically it's probably a fun gamepad game, but sucks with a wheel because of changes they've made.

seriously you must have a DFP since you can have 200 lock with that. This game is optimized for gamepads thus you want as little lock as possible. I works quite well with 200 lock though :)

WTH, 5 CD's?

This infuriates me more than no WS in games.Since I got it for $18... I guess ill let it slide.

Does anyone know why this game would kick me to the desktop whenever I try to join an online game? It gets to the screen where it would search for the games, and then it dies. I have 2 friends that also have the same problem. All different hardware configs, nothing similar. If I create a server others can join my game and I can play just fine. It's really getting annoying because I want to play with my friends online!

just started getting into this game. i'm liking it.

better than the first one. My guy doesn't pop out as easily lol and the graphics are a big step up.

Sally Taylor ftw

Whats so bad with Starforce, I have Flatout 2 plus other games with it and it doesnt hurt my pc at all.

I just got this game and love it. I use my microsoft steering wheel and pedals. I can't do racing games with the keyboard. I'm able to run this at 1600x1200 with aa and af turned all the way up on my Athlon xp system

stormshadow said:
pls elaborate.

It loads its own software into the firmware, so it actually damages/breaks your hardware. not physically to my knowledge a firmware reset/upgrade might fix i haven't looked into it.

Personally, i've never had the issue, or seen someone who has the issue. (irl)

Lets just say when I had starforce on my pc, I did (tried to) 5 cd copies, I only got 2 out of 5 good rips, the other 3 were junk. I also have had dvd burning problems as well with starforce on. After I got rid of it, I have never had a coaster.

Stu55 said:
Starforce ruins your cd/dvd drives.

Ouch, how many have you lost?

EDIT: I think you meant screws with them...let me know.

EDIT2: This may be completely unrelated, but I've had issues with the last two AVI's I tried to make into Super Video CD's...I hope this isn't related. :mad:

I bet you it is, that is the effect of starforce, it has happened to many.

I didn't lose that many because I got rid of it because I was a little sure that starforce was the thing that was screwing it up.

Uninstalling Flatout 2's good enough or do I need to use that removal tool?

I must agree with the OP. Especially when you're playing online stunt mode or derby mode with a frriend or two, some of the most pointless fun I've had in a long time!

Bill :cool:

From driving/racing standpoint, FO1 was better. Look for it in the old games bin.

so I removed starforce using the removal tool and it seemed to work - it no longer shows p in the Device Manager.
i shoulda checked but I'm wondering if Flatout2 and/or Trackmania would still work for me?

Back