Flight Sim advice: MS Flight or MS Flight Sim X Gold or ?? Hardware Advice Also

doug_7506

2[H]4U
Hi all,

Me and my brother are looking to get into a nice flight sim. We would like for it to be pretty realistic, but we are not pilots and don't plan on becoming pilots (at least not right now lol).

I hear the flight sim x is still the way to go since flight is not nearly as good as the original flight sim x series. I also hear there are some other good ones out there. Im downloading the demos for both now.

We would like something where we could fly and talk over mics together while being in different physical locations.

Also I was wondering what kind of hardware we should get. I was wondering if we should get a flight yoke or a joystick?

I was looking at Saitek and they seemed like a pretty good option. But I'm really open to anything.

250 for pro flight bundle

or

combat joystick 400 though :(

or

the pro joystick for only 170

FSX is still the best flight sim to date (for non-combat sims, anyway.)

I would recommend a basic twist-handle joystick if you're just starting out. Spending $250 on a full Saitek setup seems crazy when it sounds like you guys are just planning on having a little fun and not getting too serious with it. I would get something like a $30 Saitek AV8R joystick, I still use one to this date (I've had it for ~6 years) and it's still going strong. Then if you are enjoying yourself, take it to the next level and buy the full yoke/pedal setup.

^ this

Great advice that I say you should heed. With FSX, there's so many great add-ons to enhance your experience, whereas, I was greatly disappointed with Flight, it seems more of a game than a sim, but that's just my opinion.

FSX is still the best flight sim to date (for non-combat sims, anyway.)

I would recommend a basic twist-handle joystick if you're just starting out. Spending $250 on a full Saitek setup seems crazy when it sounds like you guys are just planning on having a little fun and not getting too serious with it. I would get something like a $30 Saitek AV8R joystick, I still use one to this date (I've had it for ~6 years) and it's still going strong. Then if you are enjoying yourself, take it to the next level and buy the full yoke/pedal setup.

Yeah sounds like a plan.

Which version should I get? Gold on amazon for $25?

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Yeah sounds like a plan.

Which version should I get? Gold on amazon for $25?

Yeah, $25 is as low as I've seen it too.

FYI you don't need any patches or anything with the Gold version (which is base FSX + Acceleration pack), so don't go searching around for service packs and what not because you won't need them. :)

There is a HUGE world of add on software for FSX, it's unbelievable. Everything from graphics overhauls, new planes, new scenery, flight planning software, etc. etc. Here's one example that I recently purchased:

http://www.a2asimulations.com/store..._id=50&zenid=44371f6a2f1005817ad6896833cbf084

Wow that is awesome. I want this game just to fly p-51s too! Will deff be buying that pack. Thanks for the tip.

What about that graphics overhaul? Any recommendations. That would be cool.

Wow that is awesome. I want this game just to fly p-51s too! Will deff be buying that pack. Thanks for the tip.

What about that graphics overhaul? Any recommendations. That would be cool.

Check out www.realenvironmentxtreme.com, it's a program that gives HD cloud textures, water textures, etc. The pics speak for themselves.

also how does flight sim x work for online play with other people? Is it good?

I have never tried it personally, but the online community is huge. There is a server called VATSIM which is a large persistent server that has real people running ATC at the major airports like LAX, London Heathrow, etc.

Thats awesome! Thanks for all these tips. I will be getting the high res pack and buy that air plane,

Worse case scenario will just talk over team speak.

Any other good tips? :D

Thats awesome! Thanks for all these tips. I will be getting the high res pack and buy that air plane,

Worse case scenario will just talk over team speak.

Any other good tips? :D

I think that should be good enough to get you started :D

If you are interested in really learning the ins and outs of flying (i.e. following real procedures, how to use your navigation instruments, etc) I highly recommend this book:

http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Flight-Simulator-Pilots-Training/dp/0764588222

That being said, FSX comes with a pretty darn good lessons & tutorials section.

Thanks man. Me and my brother are going to have a blast with this.

I was looking at Amazon. I can get the regular x52 joystick and throttle with the game from amazon for $100.

I already have a real good headset so I think we are set.

Thanks again.

Most of the comments you see about MS Flight are true, but I think it's still worth the free download for you and your brother to try it out and fly together in multiplayer on the big island. Also, there's currently a free Red Tails P51 (no cockpit) plane available for a limited time.

How to Download the RED TAILS P-51

MS Flight has decent graphics (some would say better than FSX out of the box) and you can get a bit more advanced control if you fly with a joystick or keyboard rather than the basic mouse control (which is aimed at the most casual new flyers). It's also a good game to fly with friends or others who just want something basic, rather than a more advanced sim experience.

That said, I haven't made any MS Flight purchases yet, but I am seriously considering picking up FSX Gold myself because of the variety of locations, planes and addons available. Even if I do pick up FSX, I can see myself still playing both. I may also pick up some DLC for Flight in the future after I see how Alaska turns out and how the game continues to develop.

Anyway, I think you should also download MS Flight and pick up the free P51 to try it for yourself.

thanks for the tip. I put it to dl on steam.

Will deff use the free add in. Thanks.

I don't know if they fixed it, but it was tricky to get the P51 to download on my Steam version. I had to download the Red Tails plane DLC from my Games for Windows Marketplace content list. Here's quick screenshot.

I don't know if they fixed it, but it was tricky to get the P51 to download on my Steam version. I had to download the Red Tails plane DLC from my Games for Windows Marketplace content list. Here's quick screenshot.

Can I get a CD key and plug it into Steam even if I don't have the game installed yet?

I would like to get it for the future, though honestly I am not sure if I will ever download it. Not when I have four quality flight sims installed. :p

FSX Multiplayer is OK. You can even do shared cockpit flights in FSX, which is a great way to get virtual flight instruction from a "CFI" or experienced pilot/simpilot. If you two want to do precision formation flying then none of the civil sims have very good netcode for that. Get IL-2, one of the DCS sims, or LockOn/Flaming Cliffs2 for formation... and of course they are fun for combat too.

VATSIM is awesome when you find a busy day on there, and it really is a huge boost to immersion to have realistic ATC and airtraffic around you. Also cool is that you can use FS2004, FSX, or XPlane to connect to VATSIM for a Multiplayer experience even across the various sims. Just be aware that the VATSIM community takes the process pretty seriously and they will expect you to understand basic real world radio and navigation procedures as well as pilot-controller phraseology. So just having basic aircraft control isn't really enough. Treat it like you would treat "The Real Thing" and it will work wonderfully though!

I used to teach a Flight Sim Groundschool as well as do shared cockpit flight training and would often use VATSIM after the student got a pretty good handle on basic ATC procedures and phraseology - I also use it personally for IFR procedures. It really is awesome - but at first is may be pretty intimidating.

As far as controllers, yeah start affordable. If you KNOW you are into sims, or if you want to get into aerobatics, then you will want rudder pedals and a TrackIR too - but a twisty stick (or the rocker on the Saitek X45) will work at first. You can get an X45 for cheap on eBay and it has one of the better throttles around (I still prefer that one for combat sims - even in price no object comparisons) though the stick of the X52Pro is far smoother, and either stick will grow with you.

The CH Fighterstick USB is also a reliable and precise stick - but you will need rudder pedals to use it.

If you want ForceFeedback, the best stick out there is the old Microsoft Sidewinder ForceFeedback 2 - again, you can really only find these on eBay.

If you want a yoke, the Saitek yoke is a good one - but again, you need pedals, so the cost of this route is much, much higher than the twisty stick route.

You do not want the Saitek X65 as that's a force sensing stick which doesn't actually displace, and this doesn't really do a very god job simulating the control systems of any airplane other than the fly by wire system employed in the F-16.

Last edited:
Does the Cyborg fly 9 work on PC i heard rumors maybe someone can tell me
I know that it says the Xbox & PS3

the only reason im asking is because they are wireless

im actually looking for the green Xbox one

Back