Fluctuating Download Speeds - Thoughts?

MJCfromCT

Gawd
Some background:

Win7 Pro, i7 930 machine, wired connection

For several months the machine and the network performance were fine. If downloading a well-seeded torrent, or file from usenet, I could max out my internet connection (1.5 MBps).

For the past several weeks my download speed has not been consistent. The download will peak at 1.5MBps, but then slow down to around 0.1 - 0.2 MBps, then swing back. This oscillation will continue for the duration of the download.

I've noticed this with bittorrent, usenet, even steam downloads. Any thoughts on why this may be occurring?

Last edited:
It's probably your ISP. I get this when my torrents are throttled. Use encryption.

does the fluctuation occur with both torrents and usenet?
using a router? if so, have you tried bypassing it to verify it isn't the router?

Already using encryption.

The fluctuation occurs with anything fetching data from the internet. Right now I'm downloading a 500MB game on Steam, my connection peaks at 1.5, slows down to 200-300, and oscillates between until the download is complete.

I have not changed settings on my end with respect to torrents or usenet in the past ~1 year.

I will try bypassing the router and hooking directly into the cable modem. Thanks for the suggestion.

I will try bypassing the router and hooking directly into the cable modem. Thanks for the suggestion.

if you fail to see different results there; multiple computers, all having the same issue? While it's doubtful it's a PC issue, it wouldn't hurt to rule it out.

Since it's happening with torrents, usenet, and all downloads, chances of it being ISP throttling are slim to none.

Back