Flush mount a patch panel in drywall?

panfist

Gawd
I'm installing a network in my house. I bought a patch panel from Monoprice, but I think I'm leaning towards getting a double-gang twelve-slot keystone panel to do the same job, instead, because it can mount flush to the surface of the wall. I'd like to use a real patch panel because it's easier to punch in cables, but it seems like it would be inconvenient for me to try to mount it in my wall.

Any solutions or alternatives out there?

Edit: I forgot to add that it's a 'mini' panel, 10" x 2.25"
http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...d=10514&cs_id=1051401&p_id=971&seq=1&format=2

Last edited:
You could just mount it 'flat' so the ports point perpendicular to the wall, which would protrude a few inches. For me a patch panel is about ease of use / expansion so burying it in the wall is kind of counter-intuative!

You could just mount it 'flat' so the ports point perpendicular to the wall, which would protrude a few inches. For me a patch panel is about ease of use / expansion so burying it in the wall is kind of counter-intuative!

Well, you have a point about losing the ease-of-use, but I don't think I'm going to need to expand anytime. I already laid a double run to each room in my home, mostly just in case one of the runs goes bad. The only room that might need more than one connection simultaneously (and can't fall back on wireless) is going to be the office, where the switch is going to be, anyway.

If I can mount the patch panel in or on the wall, it saves me having to buy twelve more cat6 keystone jacks. Did you know those bloody things are $9 at home depot? What a rip! Waiting for monoprice stuff to ship is like my new favorite hobby...

Are you planning to mount it vertically? I'm just thinking about the panel being 19" wide, and yours studs are not. You could come up with something to flush mount it to drywall, but not without the space behind it. I would look more seriously at the solutions designed for in-wall, doesnt matter much if it's not as easy to punch if you're really only doing it once anyway.

Can you frame out a 1u space out of 1x2 wood and anchor that to the drywall, paint it to match and screw your patch panel into that?

For my last house, and even on some clients....for say 10 drops 'n under I often used something like these surface mounts..but obviously with more ports. All I can find on Monoprice is these 2 port ones...but Panduit makes ones with more ports.
http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10517&cs_id=1051705&p_id=2040&seq=1&format=2

For a home setup..they're great, out of the way, neat. Yeah someone will say "servicability"..but the cover comes right off for easy access to keystones, and quite honestly..once you set it, it's done, you're not going back to it.

why not just buy inserts from mono price? 70 cents + few bucks for a 6 gang outlet.

patch panel flush in wall is lame.

I had a similar issue with my house about a year ago. I picked up 2 12 port patch panels since I had 9 double drops (18 cables). First, take a look at a patch panel. If it's a 12 port the bits that extend back will fit within stand studs (16 inches apart). However, the metal plate that forms the face is bent at a 90 degree angle at the top and bottom forming about a 1/4 inch of overhang or lip that will prevent it from mounting completely flush.

Cut a hole in the wall the height of the patch panel and the width of the connections hanging off the back/or all of the way from stud to stud (it will be covered by the face plate). Then, slide the patch panel in. It should be almost flush except for the top and bottom lips that extend beyond the hole. I used a pencil to mark the top and bottom and indicate how far out to make the slits and used a drywall saw to cut slits. The remaining lip on the top and bottom could then rest in the slits and everything was flush. It only took a strokes of the saw to make the slits deep enough.

I use alot of Leviton gear, just swapped to other Keystones and Jack due to price. Trying out the newegg ones.

I always use Leviton products. The cost is a bit more, even though I order from Graybar, but the quality is worth it.
I would not mount it flush in the wall because somewhere down the line, something may have to be changed/worked on.

Back