Focal Polyglass speakers $250 at amazon gold box deal

God Damnit. Why didn't this deal exist 3 weeks ago when I bought a pair of Image Dynamics instead of these.

How good are these in terms of mid range speakers? Are they really worth $500 normally or is this one of those things where these are normally found for only $50 more than this "sale" price

yes, they are worth it and at $250..it is basically taking it off their hands. I use only focals in any of my cars and would never use anything less.

Yeah, Focal is great. One of the best audio brands, both home and car. These were the GB deal yesterday so why are they still the same price today? Not that I'm complaining since it is a good price...

Another option for expensive speakers if you don't like the bright Focal sound is Dynaudio (which are more in line with what computerpro3 got, price-wise, not this deal). Some other high-end brands are Rainbow, Hertz, DLS.

Another option for expensive speakers if you don't like the bright Focal sound is Dynaudio (which are more in line with what computerpro3 got, price-wise, not this deal). Some other high-end brands are Rainbow, Hertz, DLS.

Don't forget Morel! The Supremos are nice.

You're definitely right that Focal's have a bright sound, but the thing about the line is that the higher up you go, the more refined they get. The Polyglasses have a nasty spike in the 12khz range that make it fatiguing to listen to in certain installs. Of course, it totally depends on what car you have them in and how the tweeters are aimed, but the FQ response charts don't lie. The TN52 tweeter in the polykevlars are worlds better, but I still used a -3db cut - which is AWESOMELY built right into the adjustable passive crossover. No electronic EQ needed.

From what I understand, the KRX line is even more mellow in the treble, and of course the Utopia's are superb (I heard the No.7 set in a incredible M3...will never forget it).

The thing about Focal that I love though, which no other brand can do for me, is that there is a certain amount of balls to them - when listening to electric guitar, there is "grit" to them that's not artificial - just sounds like live music.

I was actually going to mention Morel but I'm not a huge fan of them. They are way too laid back for me.

Personally, I use my own speakers... most recently some Rainbow woofers with Seas Neo tweeters using an active crossover. I didn't like the Rainbow tweeters in this set (I forget which one it is offhand but it's one of their somewhat cheaper sets, got it for $250ish I think). I'm gonna check if my Dayton Reference RS180 woofers fit in my car. They didn't fit in my last car.

This is a steal! The Polyglass line is a very solid speaker. Yes they are a little bright but if you have an active crossover you can fix this. They have very good midbass response as well.

Morel are probably the best speakers on the market for dedicated car audio speakers. ScanSpeak are the best speakers period but take a lot of work to get them to work in a car since they won't work in IB but Jesus are they worth it.

Never liked Dynaudio for the car. Always took too much work to tune them in.

Scan Speak for home audio, sure, but I like Seas for car (and they are still quite good for home). That Morel statement is very much subjective because Morel tweeters sound like they come with a pillow over them that can't be removed. Dynaudio also isn't my thing.

yes, they are worth it and at $250..it is basically taking it off their hands. I use only focals in any of my cars and would never use anything less.

There are many better for car audio... Home is a different story, Focal is one of my 2 favorites there right next to the old Klipsch stuff like LaScala's and Heresy's

****edit****

For this price though you would be very hard pressed to match the value per dollar....

All I know is that takes a lot less tuning on a Morel system to get it winning SQ competitions than any other brand. They're not perfect but they're the best drop In speakers you can get in terms of tonal quality and accuracy.

Now if you want lots of midbass and/or screaming output then I agree that Morel might not be your best choice.

ScanSpeak use the least tuning. Scott Selvidge won world champion and best of show at MECA's 2006 finals using 5" Scan Revelators and had virtually no EQ at all! That's just crazy but its why they cost $300 per mid! Yikes!

Got this in my girls car on a Memphis amp 75Wx2. They sound great but are not super loud. I would never pay $500 for these. There is so much more out there that is better in that range. I have a nice 10" Image Dynamics IDMAX I can sell to someone to go nicely with these speakers :D.

Ohh, this deal is tempting...particularly since one of my Image Dynamics tweeters in my mini just died :-/

Got this in my girls car on a Memphis amp 75Wx2. They sound great but are not super loud. I would never pay $500 for these. There is so much more out there that is better in that range. I have a nice 10" Image Dynamics IDMAX I can sell to someone to go nicely with these speakers :D.

Well...I have 2 12" Image Dynamics IDMAX's that I could sell to someone for a good price to go along with this set. (grumble why oh why did I downsize soo much that I cant fit these in my car)

I love my 12 idmax. It's pure sex. If I didn't use my trunk so damn much I'd pick up another one from you. But honestly 1 is more than enough.

Ohh, this deal is tempting...particularly since one of my Image Dynamics tweeters in my mini just died :-/

Well...I have 2 12" Image Dynamics IDMAX's that I could sell to someone for a good price to go along with this set. (grumble why oh why did I downsize soo much that I cant fit these in my car)

LOL I hear ya. I have a 10" IDQ V3 in my girls car with these components and it's a nice balance. The components dont get loud enough for my taste.

The 10" ID max didnt sound so good in my single cab truck so I went to 4 8" ID V3 subs on a JL1000/1 V2. Much betta along with a 450/4 ran active with Morel Elate Comps.

Fuck. Fuck. Fuck.

Why didn't this deal exist... 4 weeks ago? Oh well, I'm happy with my polks :)

Focals are a little overrated and are extremely bright even if you tune it out. Do not and i repeat DO not try to school me on how to setup these speakers. I had them setup as best as possible using a pioneer with 16 band eq and an active setup on jl /2 amps and even playing with slopes and cut offs and eqing along with time correction those SOB's were bright and midbass was alright on them.

I sold of my set i had a k2p and upgraded to k3p and got rid of them both. I have the polyglass in my wifes setup and they are worth $250 but not retail. None of focal is worth retail usually i pay half price with dealer connections and such but even then you can find comprabable stuff. Check out diy mobile audio DIYMA.

Why didn't this deal exist... 4 weeks ago? Oh well, I'm happy with my polks

Nothing wrong with Polks. Ive been competing in SQ competitions since 2005 with Polk Audio Signature Reference speakers. Was state champ 3 years in a row and 2nd at world finals 4 years in a row and trust me, the speakers did all the work. ;) Theyre as good as anything out there.

I had them setup as best as possible using a pioneer with 16 band eq and an active setup on jl /2 amps and even playing with slopes and cut offs and eqing along with time correction those SOB's were bright and midbass was alright on them.

Time alignment wouldnt help the brightness any. Did you try higher cutoffs with them? Ive had success smoothing out harsh tweets by cutting them off 4 KHz @ 24db/oct and sometimes 5 K. Its the 2-4 KHz range thats really hard on the ears and if youve got an obnoxious tweeter like the Focals, it helps to let the mid pull as much of these frequencies as possible.

Dont get me wrong, these speakers arent for everybody especially if youre not wanting to spend a lot of time trying to tweak them into sounding good. But if youve got the processing power and time to fiddle with it, you can get these things sounding pretty solid.

Last edited:
Focals are a little overrated and are extremely bright even if you tune it out. Do not and i repeat DO not try to school me on how to setup these speakers. I had them setup as best as possible using a pioneer with 16 band eq and an active setup on jl /2 amps and even playing with slopes and cut offs and eqing along with time correction those SOB's were bright and midbass was alright on them.

I sold of my set i had a k2p and upgraded to k3p and got rid of them both. I have the polyglass in my wifes setup and they are worth $250 but not retail. None of focal is worth retail usually i pay half price with dealer connections and such but even then you can find comprabable stuff. Check out diy mobile audio DIYMA.

I'm surprised you found the k2p's harsh. To my ears, the polyglasses are nearly unbearable by the K2P's are great with the passive crossover attenuation in place. I really want to try the tweeter from the KRX line though....I'm just curious what it's like.

Nothing wrong with Polks. Ive been competing in SQ competitions since 2005 with Polk Audio Signature Reference speakers. Was state champ 3 years in a row and 2nd at world finals 4 years in a row and trust me, the speakers did all the work. ;) Theyre as good as anything out there.

You on DIYMA?

Kinda. Im under the screename MacLeod but I don't post that often. Burned out after 5 years straight of competition. Needed a break from all the bullshit. PC gaming is a lot more fun at the moment.

Thats a pretty healthy amp so youll be looking for a single voice coil sub that can handle 800 watts RMS and a single 12 usually gives the best balance of SQ and volume. Kicker makes some very good pounding subs. The L5 would be an outstanding choice.

Someone may need to school you if your running JL V2 amps :) I know because I have some and I am not impressed. Best amps I have had are my Lunar's that were custom built for me. Focal's can be bright no doubt. I had the K2P's and then the KRX2's which are a little more tame on the tweeter side. It almost takes something like an Audison Bit One to get it tuned right using an RTA. Moved over to Morel Elates and much better.

Back