Folder not accessible

primea

Supreme [H]ardness
I have a dead motherboard ... so I replaced it ... but WinXP was messed up ... so I ran a repair , and the repair failed ... saying about some insertion error in MSDART.DLL ... so ...

I installed WinXP in another Harddrive w/c went flawlessly ... inserted the older drive, so I can just move over the documents ...

Problem is I can't open any folder of a user in "Documents and settings" I have kept the usual usernames and passwords for the machine ...

I have tried sharing it and accessing it through the network with the same error.
I have tried accessing it using both the user's username and password, and as administrator ..
The drive is NTFS ...

Anybody knows a trick to get this opened?

Did you encrypt the folder with EFS? If so, and you don't have the certificate backed up, it's gone.
Otherwise, try running "chkdsk /r" and see if there happens to be something corrupted that is blocking access.

I just talked to the user, and he said he made it "private" ... will that encrypt the folder?

I ran the usual utilities to make sure it's not sitting on top of a bad sector ...

^^^ that's your problem.

The documents and settings folder is restricted to each user's folder, the admin has rights to all. However, that was the admin of the 'other' load. Your new administrator has a new SID, that doesn't match the SID of the admin on the old load, thus access is denied. You have to take onwership of the folder, then you can assign new rights.

Back