Folding Farm Spreadsheet

OSUguy98 said:
what about this one?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817104953

Keep on Folding!! For the [H]orde!!

That one will do just fine.

The only thing to watch for is it is an ATX12v2.0 PSU (and like some ATX12v1.3)so if someone loads the 5v higher than the 12v though they may have an issue with the 12v running out of spec. This should only pertain to AXP setups that are regulated on the 5v. We can either be sure to recommend a motheboard setup that regulates the CPU off of the 12v or a different PSU for the AXP's.

sandmanx said:
For the individual pages, saving the files as comma delimited and importing them into a DB would make everything much nicer in the long run. I'm not sure if you have those features on there though. If you have a non-free site to host on, it would help.

Once everything is in a DB, you can use ASP, perl, whatever else to generate the page. Excel makes some nasty looking xml for those charts, and it's all malformated in Firefox.

Excel I can do... everything else, is beyond me... What's the easiest setup to do?

Spectre said:
That one will do just fine.

The only thing to watch for is it is an ATX12v2.0 PSU (and like some ATX12v1.3)so if someone loads the 5v higher than the 12v though they may have an issue with the 12v running out of spec. This should only pertain to AXP setups that are regulated on the 5v. We can either be sure to recommend a motheboard setup that regulates the CPU off of the 12v or a different PSU for the AXP's.

Does the current MB I have for the AXP/Semprons cause any of those problems?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=13-135-193&depa=0

OSUguy98 said:
Excel I can do... everything else, is beyond me... What's the easiest setup to do?

It all depends on what the host is running. You'll need a database(an access fine will actually work) and find out what the host is running. If it's a Windows server, asp can be used, and perl can be used as long as they allow perl cgi scripts.

I am planning on getting some DB training at work. I will use this as kinda a "class project" if that's ok?

Whatever helps out the [H]orde the most... I try to keep this updated about every week or so... sometimes I dont' get around until the second week... but I just wanted to set up a system that was easy for everyone to read/understand/use.... and that was easier for me to update..... I can keep doing it the way I've been doing it, it's not that big of a deal (if fact, sometimes it gives me something to do at work), but if there's a better way to present it, I'm all for it!

Keep on Folding!!

Moving to the front of the line. Still exporting data to a database. Hopefully I will get more time to work on it at work since they have all the web dev tools I need.

I've been playing around with Access..... sucks..... I'll stick to Excel! :D

Keep on Folding!!

Well, the idea is to be able to edit the entire database from the web with a logon page. Again, this is an idea, it actually happening is a whole other story. :rolleyes:

I wish I had the patience/knowledge to be able to sit down and do that... But, if you want just about anything done in Excel, I'll eventually find a way lol... :D

I appreciate the help... Hopefully we can get a a system up and running to help all of the addicted farm builders out there :)

The spreadsheet link in the first post is dead. I get a "page not found".

Here you go...

Sorry, I've been posting updates throughout... haven't been updating the first post.... it's updated now....

I like the Egg, but have you ever dealt with Computer Geeks?
Geeks
I have dealt with them also, and find some nice deals there. Tech/RMA is good too.

(probably not a good idea to factor another seller into the equation, but not bad too try and find some jems once in a while)

I've dealt with a handful of online retailers, the only reason I went with Newegg was because most of us are familiar with them, and they carry a lot of hardware... I figured it was a good base to get a general idea of cost.... I wasn't trying to make it a "buy this here" type of thing... more along the lines of "Here's the folding power you can get for $XXX"...

Anybody see anything I need to fix/change/add/etc/etc/etc?

Plus, Newegg is a sponsor of the forum.

Click on their link / advertising to support the forum.

Monkey34 said:
I like the Egg, but have you ever dealt with Computer Geeks?
Geeks
I have dealt with them also, and find some nice deals there. Tech/RMA is good too.

(probably not a good idea to factor another seller into the equation, but not bad too try and find some jems once in a while)

I think that the spreadsheet should just deal with one retailer (gets more complicated the more you add) which gives a baseline to compair against. You will always find better deals, but the spreadsheet will give you a good way to judge your deals.

Finally got around to updating the spreadsheet.... did a whole lot of additions and deletions...

Here is the link.... Most of the changes are in the Socket A and Socket 754 and Socket 775 (single core) pages... The Socket 603/604, 533MHz page is pretty much useless right now, Newegg apparently doesn't sell the 533MHz Xeons anymore...

Let me know what you guys think!

I don't think the Intel board listed is one compatible with Dual Core. I though it took an 945 or a 955 chip set board.

Thanks for the update though.

I knew I shoulda read more into that board before I used it :D

updated that page!

Ah, better. Looking great. Gonna haveta get me a dual core one of these days. :D

I updated the spreadsheets this morning...

They are found here or in my sig.... As always, let me know if you guys have any suggestions/etc!

OSUguy98 said:
I updated the spreadsheets this morning...

They are found here or in my sig.... As always, let me know if you guys have any suggestions/etc!

Are you only listing dual core socket 939's or am I missing something? Otherwise looks good :D

So far I'm only listing those, yes... working on the single core page

I love your spreadsheets, however you calculate that a dual core 3800 @2.4Ghz for $526 costs $219.18/Ghz, I figure its $109/Ghz.

Thanks for catching that! I forgot to change the formula for the dual cores.... it's fixed now :D

Another tip - you've listed for the dual core intel this ram as 512Mb when it links to a 1Gb stick.
With a 512 stick running about half of that it could drop the system cost to an incredibly low $82/Ghz.

Actually I'm looking at the electric heater at Outpost/fry's .
A D820 for $279 with motherboard. Hopefully a base system for about $75/Ghz.

Thanks for catching that! I must have changed what I was doing in mid thought one day.... Should be fixed now!

Hey OSUguy. Great spreadsheet. However, I have a question. Am I supposed to see the expected points per year? All of them look blank to me. I was looking at buying a used XP and wanted to check out the output before going for it. :)

I call it future expansion.... :D

most of them ARE blank.... I filled in the ones I had data for....If any of you guys have some #s for them (just a ballpark, really), feel free to let me know...

OSUguy98 said:
I call it future expansion.... :D

most of them ARE blank.... I filled in the ones I had data for....If any of you guys have some #s for them (just a ballpark, really), feel free to let me know...

So i have a question for you then:

How much ppd does that Athlon XP 2000 pull out? :D

NP... if it works, let me know about that 2000+.... start averaging some numbers.....

Back