Fool my printer into thinking it has color

jpmkm

That Ain't Mayo On My Lip...
Okay so I found an HP 3820 inkjet printer in a dumpster(which I have come to find out that is the proper place for it) a couple nights ago. Fixed the stupid piece of shit broken cog and now it goes through all the motions just fine. However, it did not have any cartridges in it. I got a black cartridge but now I discover that it doesn't work without both carts. I really don't need color so I would like to avoid paying $30 for a stupid cart that I'm not going to use. Is there any way to bypass this? The ink light just keeps flashing and it won't let me do anything.

Originally posted by 133
Go look in the dumpster behind Staples

:p
I wish I had a staples! Actually I think there was one up here but it left town a few years back. I got the printer at the office machine shop. Unfortunately I think their dumpster gets emptied sunday night/monday morning so if the carts were there then they are gone. Anyway, it is looking like it needs both carts to print. There has to be a way to fool it, though. I doubt the printer would use a challenge/response system to query the cart, so it should just be a matter of jumping the right contacts.

There are only a few contacts, like 6 or so, go hunting... Could be a hair risky, but it's a freebie, right?

Originally posted by Phoenix86
There are only a few contacts, like 6 or so, go hunting... Could be a hair risky, but it's a freebie, right?
More like 52 contacts. That comes out to 8.065817x10^67 different combinations if I were to do each combination of two contacts. Shit I may just put it up on ebay.

Take a piece of aluminim foil and rub it flat on the contacts so as to make the puter think there is a cartridge.

Originally posted by jpmkm
More like 52 contacts. That comes out to 8.065817x10^67 different combinations if I were to do each combination of two contacts. Shit I may just put it up on ebay.
:eek:

Well my next recommendation is to find an old dead cartridge, but that may be pretty hard too... Good luck.

Back