For Anyone Doubting Ray Tracings Importance [Fortnite and Latest NVIDIA 552.44 Driver]

This is so great that....I WANNA DIP MY BALLS IN IT!!!

Really though, MTV The State aside, nice effects!

Does it look better (or run faster?) than the previous Lumen raytracing, was it not raytraced for a quite long time now fornite ? Or I am missing something....

Such a popular you think a quick google would tell you all that quickly, but cannot find anything, maybe it is because of the multiplayer nature that the benchmarker does not have it installed and tested or something.

Last edited:
Does it look better (or run faster?) than the previous Lumen raytracing, was it no raytraced for a quite long time now fornite ? Or I am missing something....

Such a popular you think a quick google would tell you all that quickly, but cannot find anything, maybe it is because of the multiplayer nature that the benchmarker does not have it installed and tested or something.

I have to admit - thought it was new…my settings were different prior to the update but when I played on another PC (even after the update) - it wasn’t the same. Figured out it was a setting for Lumen. Somehow my settings changed after the driver update on one versus the other (rig that worked was a 4080S swap and the rig that didn’t work was running a 7900 XTX prior to a DDU run. Strange.

Does it look better (or run faster?) than the previous Lumen raytracing, was it no raytraced for a quite long time now fornite ? Or I am missing something....

Raytracing is always slower. You'd think that dedicated RT hardware would make Software RT faster, but its ALWAYS slower. it's more accurate! it's more powerful! but its always slower.

its computational cost is too high for my taste.
Looks like you are not part of the 2.6% (that games with a 4090?)

https://x.com/3DCenter_org/status/1792435335101616223

GN_7qALbwAARmkh.png

grab it if you have an NVIDIA card
From what I recall Fornite being on the Unreal engine means its using Lumen for these effects and is GPU agnostic.

Correct me if I'm wrong but the game doesn't appear to be using hardware accelerated RT. Maybe a combination of the two to some extent?

From what I recall Fornite being on the Unreal engine means its using Lumen for these effects and is GPU agnostic.

Correct me if I'm wrong but the game doesn't appear to be using hardware accelerated RT. Maybe a combination of the two to some extent?
yes it is raytracing via Lumen.

Fornite is the full-on Unreal 5 demo in that regard, i.e. they demo what hardware accelerate RT can do (hardware vs software give you shadow under moving object, less light bleed, etc... at a very reasonable cost vs the software version, but it is not faster they use the extra power to be better looking instead), some title at least at launch will not do both.

At least at the time Digital foundry tested it back at the launch:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6GC8TZbJmI&t=1045s

Last edited:
Yes and even with a 7950X3D and 4090 it doesn't recommend going beyond "Lumen High" (the most is "Lumen Epic") - the two settings prior to those two are "Ambient Occlusion" and "Off". Ambient Occlusion will give you "standard game" vibes. Once you turn on Lumen it is pretty awesome.

I don't think anyone questions the potential for it if implemented properly, the question right now is whether or not its worth the performance hit. Ironically, Fortnite is the kind of game where the hardcore players reduce visuals to a minimum because they need to get 500 fps or whatever, but since it's simpler graphically, it's probably a lot more able to use features like RT.

In any case, I've noticed RT makes the biggest difference in games that don't have the highest visual fidelity (Fortnite, Minecraft, Quake II, DOOM, etc). For games that are designed to be visually impressive with rasterized graphics, I don't find RT has made nearly the difference, at least not enough that it's worth tanking my framerate for. That doesn't mean this will always be the case (I'm certain it won't), but it really depends a lot on how the programmers implement it, and for most games that I've tried it on, it's been the kind of thing where I turn it on, I'm like "cool", looks great in screenshots, don't really notice it when I play, and I shut it off to bring my frames back up.

That said, the long term potential for it is really exciting.

For games that are designed to be visually impressive with rasterized graphics, I don't find RT has made nearly the difference,
A lot of the best looking game now will not have the option to turn raytracing off, Hellblade 2 for example or Avatar Frontier of Pandora, making it hard/impossible in those case to know its importance

Last edited:
Yeah, I tried this out last year when it came out. It's impressive, I refuse to play it without it turned on. Even though i was only getting 50-55 fps lol. Congrats to the op for finally finding it lol.

Yeah, I tried this out last year when it came out. It's impressive, I refuse to play it without it turned on. Even though i was only getting 50-55 fps lol. Congrats to the op for finally finding it lol.
I did too. But it got enabled automatically somehow when it hadn't previously - so it was a real breath of fresh air!

A lot of the best looking game now will not have the option to turn raytracing off, Hellblade 2 for example or Avatar Frontier of Pandora

I have no doubt that’s the direction things will be heading in. Graphical advancements typically become standard after a time, I’m just saying what my experience is with the technology at this current point in time.

The big UE5 patch and Lumen dropping in early 2023 was what finally got me to try Fortnite cause I'm a gfx junkie. Looks absolutely amazing but brought my 3090Ti to it's knees at 4K. Turns out I was pretty damn good at No-Build too but I didn't like how jangly my nerves were after a match so I'm sticking to getting sweaty over single player games where the stakes feel lower ;-)

The big UE5 patch and Lumen dropping in early 2023 was what finally got me to try Fortnite cause I'm a gfx junkie. Looks absolutely amazing but brought my 3090Ti to it's knees at 4K. Turns out I was pretty damn good at No-Build too but I didn't like how jangly my nerves were after a match so I'm sticking to getting sweaty over single player games where the stakes feel lower ;-)
Find your strat to have fun more. I don’t build but I play build and use stealth and annoyance / cheese to win. It’s a blast.

I’m sure your Q3A and UT skills come in handy. :)

I'm sticking to getting sweaty over single player games where the stakes feel lower
Multiplayer: you die and no one else notices.
Singleplayer: you die and the world dies with you since you're no longer there to save it.

How is that lower stakes? :) ;)

Back