For the people using retail heatsinks

stgdz

Supreme [H]ardness
Did you use the TIM or did you scrape it off and use artic silver?

First thing I did was take off that crappy stock aluminum cooler and put on a pure copper zalman with ac5 and whola clocked the x2 3800 from 2.0 to 2.6 ghz and runs cool

If you dont use the retail hsf and the TIM, then you void your warranty. That is why I use the retail HSF on my Venice. Works just fine.

I cleaned the paste off and used AS-5.

Both work well.....

Lazy, use the pre-applied paste. For all builds I've done for friends, I've used the retail compound and never had a problem that was traced to the HS/Fan.

fuelvolts said:
If you dont use the retail hsf and the TIM, then you void your warranty. That is why I use the retail HSF on my Venice. Works just fine.
Just out of curiosity how does amd know wether you have used the stock heatsink or not?

dunno...could probably heat uip a piece of metal to melt the TIM incase of warranty work :)

depends on who it's for :p

Family, friends - TIM
Me - scrap that crap off and go with AS

I never had a problem with the stock heatsink and TIM on my two most recent AMD builds (a Barton-core Athlon XP 2600+/333 and my current Athlon 64 X2 3800+).

I used the stock TIM and stock cooler on an XP1800+ running at 1.9ghz for a few years, never had a problem. Just upgraded to a G-Power cpu cooler and AS5 :)

mrweasel said:
depends on who it's for :p

Family, friends - TIM
Me - scrap that crap off and go with AS

Well the system is for me, the last one I built had a vantec aeroflow with AS on it XP-M @ 2.4ghz. I have seen reports that my opteron should overclock really well with the retail heatsink and I was just wondering if people use the TIM or scrape it off and use the AS. I will probably use the TIM and see how far I can push it.

I am using the stock cooler on mine atm because I would rather not waste money on a better cooler when I plan on getting watercooling anyways. So I am saving that 50$ towards my watercooling fund....which is being dipped into constantly for food, and other hardware upgrades lol...

I usually remove the stock TIM and use Ceramique, but that's only because it'll be easier to clean up in the future. The stock TIM actually isn't that bad, it is from Shin Etsu. Most people have the mindset that if its a thermal pad, then its gotta be bad... not anymore.

I'm going to move to an SI-120 soon so I used the stock stuff for now and will remove it later.

However, my Opteron 170's retail HSF has heatpipes and freaking rocks... with good internal case circulation I'm at like 22c idle 33-37 load... and that's with a mid-range overclock...

I'm using the stock cooler but I applied OCZ pure silver 5+
idle 29C 100% load both cores prime 95 small fft's 42C

I used the stock HSF with the TIM until I got my Zalman CNPS 9500 LED in the mail. Such a huge (15 deg) difference with the Zalman.

I used some old Arctic Silver II that I've had since 1998 with the Zalman... How do you guys go through yours so quickly? I've still got like 1/3 of a tube left!

I use the stock cooler and TIM, I must say I'm really impressed with this one. Keeps my investment nice and cool. :)

fuelvolts said:

overclocking your venice to 2.2ghz also voids its warrentee. hense why i havent touched my stock cooler.

MatDef said:
I use the stock cooler and TIM, I must say I'm really impressed with this one. Keeps my investment nice and cool. :)
I've never been able to find proof of that on AMD's website that removing the TIM and using AS5 or similar would void the warranty.

SKy042 said:
I've never been able to find proof of that on AMD's website that removing the TIM and using AS5 or similar would void the warranty.

Actually, somewhere in the retail documentation, it TELLS you that you need to clean and apply new interface material (i.e. AS5, etc.) every time you install the heatsink.

Anyways, I use my stock heatsink with the original TIM.

stgdz said:
Just out of curiosity how does amd know wether you have used the stock heatsink or not?

If you ever have to send in your cpu for warranty, they require the stock hsf with the melted tim pad to be sent along also. I know this, as I had to send in a 1800+ a few yrs back that I released the magic smoke out of. I had given the hsf to a friend so I had to swap coolers for a week until my replacement came back (amd generously upgraded my dead 1800 to a 2000 for free).
They might not void the warranty if the tim is "missing", but the support guy told me
they "could" void it. 2 weeks after the fact, they called and asked me a survey of the overall cust support. One of the ?'s was if I oc'd my cpu, and how high? They definately love the enthusiasts. :D

Back