for those of you who have had (or do have) a defective 2001FP...

ozziegn

The man behind the curtain...
okay, I'm in the same boat with several other 2001FP owners in regards to the issue of having either dead pixels or bad back lighting problems with the 2001FP.

so far up to date, I've gotten 3 replacement 2001FPs and they all have been worse than my original one which only has one dead sub pixel which is VERY VERY hard to see unless its on a black screen and your nose is about two inches from the LCD. thats how hard it is to spot.

anyways, Dell has been sending me replacement units one right after the other and they all have been alot worse than my first one.

so I just called them and got nasty with them and told them that this crap is getting old. I told them that if they could issue me a $100 credit back on my Visa card that I would throw in the towel and just keep my original LCD and call it a day. needless to say they agreed.

so my original price on my 2001FP was $801 after sales tax. now, take off an additional $100 for the BS I've through and that makes my price $701 for an LCD thats 99% perfect. yeah, I think I can handle that. :D

so the moral of my story is this: dont take any shit from Dell. you are the customer which means you are always right. you need to tell them what you want them to do, not the other way around. one way or another, they will cave in just like they did for me and they will make you happy.

$701 for a 2001FP? yeah, I'm happy. :D

Sorry to hear about your troubles with Dell, but its nice to see that you got compensated at least a little.

I received my first 2001fp last night and have a very uneven backlight pattern on the lower right and upper left and right. Its bad on the lower right...very noticeable. This is my first LCD (outside of my Toshiba laptop) so I dont know how LCDs are supposed to be lit, but I can say that my Toshiba LCD screen is flawless and has no unusual/uneven lighting like my new 2001fp. Also, I counted 1 stuck subpixel when I first turned on the 2001fp last night, but after a couple of hours playing games and watching movies I noticed a new stuck sub pixel right in the dead center of my screen. So, now I have two and might have more after playing some more tonight.

Ozziegn, did you just call Dell and tell them your LCD was bad and to send you another? Or do you have to send the first one back before you get a replacement?

phas3d

on a side note...Dell lowered their sale on monitors from %15 to %10. Now you have to pay over $950 with tax to have a new 2001fp shipped. :(

I believe from his explanation before, that he has kept his old monitors -- in fact, I am sure of it, otherwise he couldn't be sure to keep his first monitor in the end - they wouldn't send him that exact one back if he said it was defective.

Depending on the level of hassle you guys can endure, I say keep returning, because I got a perfect one -- from the older production date even. I have 0 dead pixels, and from what I noticed of the "top right whiteness" issue, was very minimal at first and in all honesty, with a slight nudge to that section of the screen went away completely. Nobody wants something that has to be nudged to be fixed, but as I said, it was minimal in the first place (you could only see it on a black screen an inch from the monitor looking upwards across the face to the top), and was somehow completely repaired with an curious yet gentle poke. I would have never noticed it had anandtech not featured it in their review.

I have magic fingers.

a bit off topic here, but how would i go about recieving 10% or 15% or whatever it is off of a dell monitor?

Originally posted by homIcIde
a bit off topic here, but how would i go about recieving 10% or 15% or whatever it is off of a dell monitor?

That's their sale right now on select monitors, as in, they're already taking that much off the cost on the website, probably depicted by a flashy red graphic that says "WE R DA CHEAPER BUY DIS TING" or maybe just a "10% seriously" text box.

phas3d

I originally called Dell and told them what was up with me having a dead pixel so thats when they started sending me my replacement monitors.

I'd get a replacement, try it out, I'd see the same problem so I'd pack it right up and I'd call Airborne to pick the damn thing up. Dell always included a return Airborne label with the LCDs that were sent to me.

so after me getting the third replacement a few days ago, I still didnt get one that was "perfect" towards my standards so thats when I decided to throw in the towel and ask them for a $100 credit which they did.

its funny cuz my original 2001FP which I did in fact keep only has two dead sub pixels and like I said above, they are VERY hard to see. as a matter of fact, one of my buddies who's a CAD designer came over the other day and he couldnt even find the dead pixels that I was talking about. :D

the only way he eventually saw them was when I pointed them out to him. his reply?

"Ozzie, you've got to be kidding me.... You're way too anal." :p

For all of us who spend time posting and replying on this forum, I dont think the quest for a dead/stuck-pixel-free LCD is considered "anal". Maybe to most other people though, it is.

Guess Ill just put in the request for a replacement. However, i will probably just end up getting a second and setting them side by side and returning the one that is the lesser of the two.

phas3d

Doesn't Dell have dead pixel return policies!? How did you get them to replace a monitor that is perfect for all but two dead subpixels out of 1920000 whole pixels? I personally think that that type of return is screwing over Dell. There is NO LCD manufacturer on earth whose replacement policy is one dead subpixel, yet they send you three new ones? Crazy stuff, man.

As far as I can tell Dell has a customer satisfaction policy like no other, no matter how few pixels are dead. Thats why I bought from them. The price tag and the ability to return until its right. It took 2 to get one that was zero defect for me, so I got lucky. But they payed for everything.

Originally posted by Mo_BurLy
I personally think that that type of return is screwing over Dell.

oh, I'm sorry.

I missed the part to where I cared what you thought... :rolleyes:

screwing Dell over, ehhh? yeah, whatever buddy, whatever........

I gave them people $800 of my hard earned money so I damn sure want the very best for my money and having an LCD thats got even only one dead pixel IS TECHNICALLY DEFECTIVE no matter what you or anyone says.

period.

I've got 1 replacement so far that had an identical backlight problem in the upper left corner to the first, now a 3rd is on the way, if that one isn't ok, I think I'll just return the original one too and have them give me back ALL of my money, and I mean ALL, including tax, they can eat it on that for all I care. Then I'll go spend 400-500 bucks on a top-of-the-line 22 inch CRT, and use the extra couple hundred bucks for other things, this is really getting old here, this monitor is nice, but not 4-10 replacements nice. I think they must have had about a 75% percent occurence of errors during production....

Well I pulled the pin, and cancelled my 2001FP order yesterday. After ordering on the 26th, and getting my confirmation 5 mins later, I never received my order # (for tracking). After 3 hours on the phone on tues, and another 2 hours on the phone on wed. just to hear that they still had my order, but it had been "misplaced" ?? They told me they were back-ordered for another 15 days ! and they wanted me to wait 10 days past that to receive it. They admitted the prob. was on their end, but didn't offer anything to compensate for it, shipping or otherwise.

I had called trying to upgrade the shipping to air, I was hopefully going to try to get them to pick up the cost, but would have paid if they refused. (The strange thing is there are no shipping options on the cdn. site, ground only?) This is a much different experience than my 1901FP purchase 3 months ago, which went perfectly. I couldn't imagine dealing with the phone BS if I had a problem with it, I just didn't feel like wasting the time.

Since I really have no complaints about my 1901FP, I'll wait until the "next big thing" before I upgrade the panel, be it response time, color spectrum, or size. At least the whole ordeal finished with me laughing, when she requested that I call back in 2 days to "make, sure that it was cancelled", and "thank you for choosing Dell" (to cancel my order?)

Edit: Too much ! After hearing that Dell is again blowing out the 2001FP at their U.S. site ($799 Small buis) ($899) Home, I again checked the cdn. site. Still no mention of the 2001FP, and no discounts offered on any Flat Panels. I called Dell Canada, and asked if the 2001FP was available (I had had to twist arms last time) he said sure, for $1790 cdn. w/taxes (or no 15% discount like before). Before I could even question him on the pricing differences between the U.S., he dropped the price to $1200 cdn + taxes ($1368 cdn.)

So they were willing to beat my original total price by $180 on a new sale to a stranger, but never offered to reduce the orig. sale price on the order that I cancelled yesterday ? Like I said, the depts. don't seem to know what each other is doing, but for a $180 discount, I think I can find some more patience. :D

Wow! Where is that drugged out punk'd kid who did the "You're getting a Dell" commercials when you need him?!

Sorry to hear about all your troubles. On the US site it says the 2001fp can be shipped the same day. Too bad you cant have a friend or relative order one in the US and just ship it to you. I hope your next Dell order goes better.

phas3d

Originally posted by phas3d
Wow! Where is that drugged out punk'd kid who did the "You're getting a Dell" commercials when you need him?!

Sorry to hear about all your troubles. On the US site it says the 2001fp can be shipped the same day. Too bad you cant have a friend or relative order one in the US and just ship it to you. I hope your next Dell order goes better.

phas3d

Actually while you were typing, I was talking to Customer Service again. I asked for a "manager", and again stated what had happened, and asked why I hadn't been offered a shipping upgrade or additional discount. They stated that they were not allowed to do it on monitors, unless like ozzeign that it was already in the "service phase", which she referred to as the "save the sale" policy. I re-asked what the delay was on the 2001FP, now it's up to 20 days ! So they are fibbing to one of us, as Dell initialy ships all orders to Canada from the U.S., only replacement items are sent out from within Canada ?
They also stated that there had always been this lead time on the 2001FP, which I replied that the Sales dept. had said it was "in-stock, and ready to ship", when she disputed that I mentioned that a few people I had shown how to get the discounts after I had made the order, had already received their monitors. I found this odd, as even if you factor in the exchange, they're still making far more $ selling at their cdn. price/discounts than at their U.S. price/discounts (about 20%).
To me it seems that the departments are not in contact with each other. But like I said earlier, I wanted this upgrade, I far from needed this upgrade. So it's not that big of a loss, hell I still have the $1550 cdn. (w/taxes)
As for shipping to a U.S. address, I have a sister in N.C. that I could use, but Dell beats/pays the brokerage across the border, which she couldn't. Also if I received a bad one, then returning it from out of country would be a nightmare.

Edit: removed so the thread can continue for the people who want to whine about the 2001FP.

Originally posted by ozziegn
oh, I'm sorry.

I missed the part to where I cared what you thought... :rolleyes:

screwing Dell over, ehhh? yeah, whatever buddy, whatever........

I gave them people $800 of my hard earned money so I damn sure want the very best for my money and having an LCD thats got even only one dead pixel IS TECHNICALLY DEFECTIVE no matter what you or anyone says.

period.
Damn straight.

you guys are definatley anal. dells been trying to help you out by repeatidly sending you other monitors and you still bash them. pull up your panties people. if theyre doing all this for you guys at least give them some kudos for trying. 99% of all the other companies out there would tell you to screw yourself and sell you the same monitor for more.

I do agree that Dell is trying their best to help the customer out. but the fact is that the 2001fp monitor seems to have a higher defect rate compared to its predecessors or other manufacturer's.

If customers are paying a hefty sum of money for a product, I believe that they have every right to be anal up to a certain extent.

I believe there's definitely some issues with Dell's QA procedures.
And it seems like that Dell knows that too, that's most likely why they're being so lenient with the exchanges.

Originally posted by bealzz
you guys are definatley anal. dells been trying to help you out by repeatidly sending you other monitors and you still bash them. pull up your panties people.

yeah right, I've got your panties right here Mr. Tough guy... :rolleyes:

$800 doesnt come too easy for me so you can damn sure know that I want the absolute best equipment (and value) that I can get for my money. now, if people like yourself would be willing to give me $800 just for the hell of it, then yes, I might pull up my panties and accept some dead pixels.

99% of all the other companies out there would tell you to screw yourself and sell you the same monitor for more.

yeah okay, whatever.

this is the reason why I just dont deal w/ anyone when buying an LCD because I damn sure know that dead pixels could be a problem so thats why I either buy my LCDs from Dell or stores like Best Buy or Circuit City and so on. if there's even one dead/stuck pixel after I get that puppy home, then its going back.

If a retailer has a customer satisified or your money back gaurantee is it our fault when we make them honor it?
Thats why I purchased my LCD from them (DELL) in the first place, so I wouldn't be stuck with bad pixels. Its their sales pitch! To get (ANAL) people like me to buy.

DELL "Total Satisfaction" Return Policy (U.S. Only)

Yes you can buy LCD's elsewhere, and get your 6 or less bad pixels but why?

BTW I love my (exchanged for bad pixels) defect free 2001fp #2
;)

Edit: removed so the thread can continue for the people who want to whine about the 2001FP.

If there is any chance of getting an LCD with no bad pixels, and you can put up with the hassle of returns, you would be stupid not too. Just because you like defective substandard crap does not mean everyone else should! I dont believe Dell states in its ad that there could be bad pixels due to the nature of the product. So anyone who does not know this would expect perfection. If bad pixels are expected then state it in the ad, and don't have a satisfaction policy for that item. Oh and like its been said before everyone has a right to their opinion. If you can't stand the bitching then why do you come back! :p

Originally posted by ???
As for dead pixels and retail stores, I work for one of the companies you listed and will tell you that if you bought a LCD monitor and it had one dead pixel we usually let you exchange it at least once maybe twice but after that we aren't going to open our whole inventory cause you want to complain about one dead pixel which is well within any manufacturer's standards.

I'll tell ya what Mr. Retail man, I shop at local stores that dont have any restocking fee charges meaning if I dont like the way the product looks or acts, (much less any dead pixels) then you're damn right I'm gonna return the product.

and....

I would continue to buy the same product over and over again until I was happy even if I did have to go through 4 or 5 items to get what I was looking for and there's not a damn thing that you or any other retail person could do anything about it.

thats the lovely part of retail shopping and believe it or not, the customer is always right even if you or any other retail employees dont think so. retail business is a cut-throat business so companies have to do whatever it takes to make a profit. and yes, even if it means me grubbing through your stock, believe it or not, the company is still making money which does in fact fund your paycheck.

heh, what I wouldnt do to love to run into a retail person like yourself in person while you were working. I'd have a field day and a half with ya. :p

oh, and one more thing: you make it sound like I'm a newb or something with LCDs when you said, "maybe LCDs arent right for you". yeah well, tell ya what. I've probably been using LCDs way longer than before you were an itch in your daddy's pants. :D

???

Poor Baby I feel sorry for you! Its obvious now. You are upset you got suckered into a monitor with defective pixels. Its oK "BIG HUG" we understand its just pent up anger over your being screwed, and having to live with those bad pixel wixels.
:

We can all tell "???" is going postal over being stuck at the return counter, at Best Buy.

As for me, I have a 22" LCD monitor

I will tell you this I must have better stuff than the Dell 2001FP cause I have had this monitor for 2-3 years know

actual warranty respose to dead pixels

I cannot seem them unless you open something that has a complete black background

Wow, what an educated response.

In reference to Quote 1 and 2: You have had a 22" inch LCD for 2 to 3 years now, Man or most likely Women you must have been cleaned out by the price of that monitor, and totally pissed with the response rate. What model is that? Your "stuff" must be better than Dell 2001fp at 16 ms response rate!

Reference to quote 4. You might want to look at spelling/grammar mistakes in quote 2, 3 and 4 before making rash decisions about my educated response. I sure as hell don't work retail! If you would take the time to look, you would see the Dell has all those inputs. You are the one whining about people here. I am happy with my zero defect Dell 2001FP and have never complained about it.
Oh an BTW your words are not spelled correctly in that context, you must have failed English in high school, your grammar is wrong. The words are spelled right just the wrong ones to use in that sentence, What "Word" did not tell you? And when did I make fun of your monitor? I am just having a hard time with the fact you purchased a 22 inch LCD that was worth a crap 2 years ago. What model is it for the second time? You are so full of it!

Hmmm... More proof american consumers are spoiled. And we wonder why shit is going overseas.

Originally posted by ???
WThe funny thing is I know it probably has more options and is better than yours. I have s-video and rca composite inputs as wells as picture-in-picture on my monitor. Does yours?

The 2001FP has those and more, sorry.

Mine also doesn't have backlight issues and has to be returned over and over to get one that halfway works. I didn't get suckered into anything, I made an informed purchase and don't bitch about things as much as you two do.

First you bitch about people not accepting these defects, now you're saying you wouldn't accept them. Make up your mind.

Originally posted by CyberCRAP
Hmmm... More proof american consumers are spoiled. And we wonder why shit is going overseas.

Yeah, damn us Americans for making companies live up to their promises.

Originally posted by CyberCRAP

Did I miss something ? Are they emptying american stores and sending the goods overseas ? Or do you mean the production jobs are going overseas ?(which has nothing to do with consumers) That may explain the high return rate on these monitors.

Originally posted by FragMagnet
Did I miss something ? Are they emptying american stores and sending the goods overseas ? Or do you mean the production jobs are going overseas ?(which has nothing to do with consumers) That may explain the high return rate on these monitors.

I think the (somewhat valid) point he was trying to make was that companies are outsourcing to save money so that they can continue to offer services to the "spoiled" Americans.

Originally posted by ???
Can you read? If so read the whole thread please before making comments. I was talking about dead pixels. Please show me one area where I posted about them bitching about bad backlights. I was talking about dead pixels but since you didn't read the complete thread then you don't know.

Uh, I did read the thread. I also read you saying you wouldn't buy a 2001fp because of all the complains on this forum, the majority of which are due to dead pixels.

Also, unless Dell doesn't want to advertise the feature the 2001FP doesn't have PIP so therefore the only thing it really has is the USB hub.
The 2001FP has VGA, DVI, Composite, and S-video inputs as well as a usb hub. Oh, and it DOES have Picture in Picture, sorry.

Thanks and please play again.

Spoiled Americans is right! Its a great country and I love it. If you live elsewhere it must suck if your so Jealous, But please continue with jealousy, it lets me know how great it is here. Meanwhile I will go on being spoiled. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Its good to live in a Superpower!:D

America rocks, don't knock it till you tried it.

Cybercrap if you don't like being spoiled, go live in another country and see how much fun that is, I did, it sucks. It will make you appreciate the U.S.A.

First, if your only knowledge with regard to the 2001fp comes from the Dell product page you shouldn't even be commenting on its value. Try actually researching something before you deride it.

Second, you're right, my quote was off. I should've quoted "Yep and so do others since there are about 6 threads on the front page about the 2001FP being shit." You refer to the 2001FP as "shit" (implying you yourself wouldn't use one) due to complaints found on this forum, which once again are mostly due to dead pixels.

no of this would really be neccessary

Damn ??? you should take some English classes what country you from? More grammar problems. Quit while you are a HEAD.

Whoops did I make a typo there?

Thats it, He is from Dell Tech support in India, no wonder he is pissed off, explains the lack of location info, and the ??? for user name. Sorry Mr. Dooda that expains everyting! My sorry. Tank yoo very nise.

Explains the station wagon sig on posts!

Back