for those planning to SLI with PCP&C 510

cheezies

[H]ard|Gawd
I sent a few e-mails to PCP&P the other day ...

Q: Why does the 510 Express have as much as 6 SATA connectors and only 1 PCE-E connector? Will there be a new revision of the Express which will have 2 PCI-E connectors to support SLI?

A: Sorry yes it does, If you will need two then the 510 may not have the power you need. We will be shipping an eight hundred watt unit after the first week of December that has two PCI-Express video connectors. The reason all of the SATA connectors is that the optical drive are now using SATA not IDE.

Q: What will the approximate pricing of this 800 watt power supply be?

A: You can use either our 700ETX (late first quarter introduction) or our 850ETX (early first quarter intro). Both are 9 inches deep (instead of 5.5") requiring a case depth of 20 inches or more. The "ETX" stands for Extended ATX form factor. The 700 will be approximately $390.00 and the 850 will be approximately $490.00 each. The 700 has three +12 Volt Rails at 17 Amps each and the 850 has four +12 Volt rails at 17 Amps each, maximum of 66 Amps total.

Can't wait! :)

I would note that these are indeed workstation level PSUs
the 3 rail and 4 rail +12V meaning they are compliant SSI (Server System Infrastructure) EPS12V supplies
(they will have an 8 pin +12V auxillary connector for the mobo)
you would not need or want the 4 rail PSU without a dual CPU settup,
as you wouldnt be able to employ that rail, as a matter of fact you might drop an additional +12V rail if your board only has the 4 pin +12V auxillary connector, so I think I'll fire off a few emails myself to clarify exactly what how the 700 & 800ETX are distributing those rails

EPS12V 6.1.1 12V Power Rail Configuration

There are two types of 12V rail configurations for systems: 'Common plane' and "Split plane' processor power delivery. The 'commob plane' system has both processors powered from a single 12V rail (+12V1) from the power supply. The 'split plane' system has both processors powered by seperate 12V rails (+12V1 and +12V2) one dedicated to each processor. The system in both cases, has an additional 12V rail to power the rest of the baseboard +12V loads and dc/dc converters. +12V1, +12V2 and +12V3 should not be connected together on the baseboard to ensure that 240VA protection circuits in the power supply operate properly

Table 6: 12V Rail Summary
........................................................................................................................................................................................
Common Plane System........................................................Split Plane System
+12V1........Processors.........................................................+12V1........Processor 1
+12V2........Baseboard components other than processors.......+12V2........Processor 2
+12V3........Drives and peripherals..........................................+12V3........Baseboards and components other than processors
...........................................................................................+12V4........Drives and peripherals

^ Indicative of an 8 pin +12V auxillary mobo connector and a 24 pin main power connector

cheezies said:
then the 510 may not have the power you need.
I also find it likely that a Turbo Cool 510 watt would run an SLi settup, provided its not overloaded with other components, so youd need to run the numbers

If a 510D wont run SLI i dont think theres many other PSUs that could either :p

with 38A peak on the +12V rail I would tend to agree :p
provided your not also trying to power dual CPU, 4GB of RAM and 14 drives
(and not counting server supplies like redundant \ N+1)

the 510 is often said to be able to run all the above but only 10 drives and a single vidcard
but run the numbers

Honestly, it is in there best interest to sell you some tank of a supply. Im not surprised it's well over >$300 from them. Many people currently running PCI express use a converter which changes TWO molexes into one PCI express power connector. You have the advantage of having one already, so do the same and you are set for the second. Do the calculations.... my gaming rig doesnt have oodles of drives, my work rig does. Many GT's and Ultra's are running fine on Antec 400 watt supplies. Extra 110w and the reputation of PC P&C... well if the supply won't take it, then it's not as good as people say. Not knocking it, I think it will. You could get a used mach I for that price. :D

there is also the very real possibility they are in "professional mode"
using cut and paste answers for gamers, that address workstation questions
after all they may be underestimating the disposable income of gaming fanatics :p
assuming they are getting inquiries from animation houses ect :p

those supplies actually point to that, Id bet that both will only have 2 +12V rails available for any mobo that doesnt have the 8 pin +12V aux mobo connector, and certainly the split rail quad +12V is unused overkill without the 2nd CPU

I agree. I was thinking ... if the 510 express can't run SLI, the others don't stand a chance.

it will though, so no worries. I recently saw a person that ran 12 hard drives in addition to his normal computer on a pcp&C 450w and it stayed in 1% tolerance under stress tests, and the 510 deluxe is warrantied to run a dual cpu system with up to 10 hard drives, so I'm not worried in the slightest.

If it can run two cpu's, memory, a Graphics card, and 10 hard drives, then it can certainly run 1 cpu, 1 GPU, memory, and 2 hard drives.

Of course they are going to tell you that you'd be better off with an 800w supply, as its $500 in their pocket!

I think the 700ETX is designed specifically for single CPU with SLI setup, with two PCIx 6-pin connectors and a single 4-pin 12v motherboard connector.

The 850ETX will have the 8-pin motherboard connector along with the the two PCIx connectors. No need for this for a single CPU setup. Unless you can't wait for the 700ETX which for some reason is coming a few months after the 850ETX.

These power supplies should be the bomb. They weight over 10 lbs and are 3.5" deeper than a standard unit. Hopefully they won't be terribly loud.

ekovalsky said:
I think the 700ETX is designed specifically for single CPU with SLI setup, with two PCIx 6-pin connectors and a single 4-pin 12v motherboard connector..

with a dedicated rail for the graphics card? and ATX12V v2.0 + 1 sort of
that would be interesting
but until its clarified Id still assume its an EPS12V with a common plane
as that is the only published spec dictating 3 +12V rails

besides the graphic card is going to be drawing some power off one of the other rails anyway via the AGP slot

I'm planning to run a AMD 64 3000+ along with 2 SLI'ed Geforce 6800 GT's, a DVD writer, and a 74GB Raptor. I'm thinking the 510 express will be good enough.

Ice Czar said:
besides the graphic card is going to be drawing some power off one of the other rails anyway via the AGP slot

You mean PCI slots. But, looking at the XBitLabs article about power consumption of the (AGP Version) 6800 Ultra, it looks like it gets almost all of its power from the extra connectors.

DOH we are talkin about SLi arent we :p
old habits

the AGP slot is good for only about 25W
while an AGP Pro slot can do about 100 watts
but it was bypassed for gaming boards and only found on workstation boards
so they had to get power through an auxillary
Ive tried to research power regulation on video cards but have gotten exactly nowhere :p
(power via the AGP has been conditioned via the mobos VRM voltage regulation modual
that buffer is gone in an auxillary connection,
but there is likely some sort of on card replacement?
and then there is the independent voltage regulation of 2 +12V rails, so I was wondering)

compare the 6800 Ultra with the 5700
http://www.xbitlabs.com/misc/picture/?src=/images/video/ati-vs-nv-power/fx5700_table-b.gif&1=1

cheezies said:
I'm planning to run a AMD 64 3000+ along with 2 SLI'ed Geforce 6800 GT's, a DVD writer, and a 74GB Raptor. I'm thinking the 510 express will be good enough.

easily. run the numbers with the takaman calculator...

computerpro3 said:
easily. run the numbers with the takaman calculator...

That's what I used alright :). Likewise a Thermaltake 400W will give me the power I need according to that guide, LOL.

Back