Force Unleashed 2

BullsEyeBob

2[H]4U
What do yall think of this game? The trailers and cinema look good, but how's the game play and story? Steam has it for $40 and I'm considering getting it based on what I've seen, but I'd like your input before I hit 'add to cart'.

Its fun for the 5 hours or so it lasts but its not worth full price. Wait for a steam discount (a sizable one) before you jump in.

Despite thee advice, I pounced. I'm not regretting it all. :D

If you liked JK2 then you'll like this game.

Uh, no. I loved Jedi Knight 2 and Jedi Academy, and you can see my thoughts on this game above. I can also be fairly sure that I've put more hours into it than anyone else around here, for reasons that I can't really talk about.

Despite thee advice, I pounced. I'm not regretting it all. :D

HA! JK2 was far superior to TFU2 in every single way except graphics. Better story, better gameplay, better voice acting, better characters, better level design, a hell of a lot better use of lightsabers, better bosses, an end boss that doesn't take twenty years to beat.

HA! JK2 was far superior to TFU2 in every single way except graphics. Better story, better gameplay, better voice acting, better characters, better level design, a hell of a lot better use of lightsabers, better bosses, an end boss that doesn't take twenty years to beat.

Indeed it was. I sure miss the weird but fun light saber battles of the multiplayer. Good times.

Indeed it was. I sure miss the weird but fun light saber battles of the multiplayer. Good times.

The light saber fights were AMAZING. Probably the most memorable star wars game for me to date on the PC.

Most fun I've had in a TPS type game.

It was too short, and the ending didn't give enough answers. I though it was a bit weird that the game as under 10GB, while the first one was like 20GB, and yeah, I see the reason why.

But it was still enjoyable to play, though I finished the game in less than 6 hours.

It was too short, and the ending didn't give enough answers. I though it was a bit weird that the game as under 10GB, while the first one was like 20GB, and yeah, I see the reason why.

But it was still enjoyable to play, though I finished the game in less than 6 hours.

The only reason the first one was so big is because Aspyr did a shit job porting it and didn't do anything with the audio files and left them uncompressed. It would have been around the same size as TFU2 if they had done a good job. Game size does not have a direct relation to length.

There isn't going to be a next game. The team was canned once TFU2 finished.
And the third game was canned quite a while before that. TFU2 was meant to be a bridge between the first and third games (hence the cliffhanger at the end), but it turned out to be a piece of crap and Haden Blackman left the company, so that was pretty much the end of that story.

Last edited:
There isn't going to be a next game. The team was canned once TFU2 finished.

Wait a minute...

I was surprised... and I mean really surprised... to discover (according to Wikipedia) that the first game, as of summer of last year, had sold six million copies.

Six... million... copies.

That's a franchise. The big boys (Ubisoft, Activision, EA., etc.) are desperate for titles such as this. At six million copies we're talking hundreds of millions of dollars in profit. To put this into perspective, six million games sold is akin to a movie being attended by 36 million people (that's not to say the movie grossed 36 million dollars, but was seen by 36 million people who each paid ten dollars) - huge numbers.

There will be a Force Unleashed 3.

Wait a minute...

I was surprised... and I mean really surprised... to discover (according to Wikipedia) that the first game, as of summer of last year, had sold six million copies.

Six... million... copies.

That's a franchise. The big boys (Ubisoft, Activision, EA., etc.) are desperate for titles such as this. At six million copies we're talking hundreds of millions of dollars in profit. To put this into perspective, six million games sold is akin to a movie being attended by 36 million people (that's not to say the movie grossed 36 million dollars, but was seen by 36 million people who each paid ten dollars) - huge numbers.

There will be a Force Unleashed 3.

That and it's Star Wars. An easy cash cow. Pump out mediocre game after mediocre game and watch the cash flow in anyways.

This game being another easy case in point.

I dont know if they'll bother with a third... the first one sold well despite mediocre reviews, this one again has had a bad reception, even with the big name of Star Wars I dont know how many games they can expect to sell well with increasingly worse reputation.

The team is disbanded but how's come you and some others don't think the easy cash cow gravy train here would continue with this series, at least on the consoles?
Because TFU3 was canceled. Haden Blackman was the guy behind it, and I'm not sure whether the game was canceled because he left or if he left because it was canceled, but either way, it's a dead duck. Given the lack of marketing behind TFU2 in the days leading up to its release, it seems to me that LucasArts is just trying to recoup whatever development costs it can before it shelves the series. It is unlikely that TFU3 will ever be made, and if someday it is, then it will be quite different from what it was originally meant to be like.

Because TFU3 was canceled. Haden Blackman was the guy behind it, and I'm not sure whether the game was canceled because he left or if he left because it was canceled, but either way, it's a dead duck. Given the lack of marketing behind TFU2 in the days leading up to its release, it seems to me that LucasArts is just trying to recoup whatever development costs it can before it shelves the series. It is unlikely that TFU3 will ever be made, and if someday it is, then it will be quite different from what it was originally meant to be like.

Alrighty then. :)

I hope that some of you guys aren't running businesses. When you put up numbers like The Force Unleashed, then whatever it is you've got, you nurture it.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to work the numbers. The six million copies sold (as of last summer) were copies that sold for full price. Console games sell for sixty dollars, so we're talking gross sales of three hundred and sixty million dollars.

To the guy above who said, nope...

Um, so you're telling me that if you had something that generated numbers like that, you would walk away from it? No you wouldn't. Even if what you had, generated only one quarter of those grosses - in this case, 90 million dollars - you would still spend your every waking minute thinking about what comes next.

I hope that some of you guys aren't running businesses. When you put up numbers like The Force Unleashed, then whatever it is you've got, you nurture it.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to work the numbers. The six million copies sold (as of last summer) were copies that sold for full price. Console games sell for sixty dollars, so we're talking gross sales of three hundred and sixty million dollars.

Um, so you're telling me that if you had something that generated numbers like that, you would walk away from it? No you wouldn't. Even if what you had generated only one quarter of those grosses - in this case, 90 million dollars - you would still spend your every waking minute thinking about what comes next.

Wabe: They CANCELLED part 3. Didn't you read his post? The lead developer said it's DOA. What are you arguing about? I really wonder if you like to argue for the sake of arguing sometimes.

Because TFU3 was canceled. Haden Blackman was the guy behind it, and I'm not sure whether the game was canceled because he left or if he left because it was canceled, but either way, it's a dead duck.

End of story.

Um, so you're telling me that if you had something that generated numbers like that, you would walk away from it? No you wouldn't. Even if what you had generated only one quarter of those grosses - in this case, 90 million dollars - you would still spend your every waking minute thinking about what comes next.
TFU1 sold well with average reviews. TFU2 is getting fairly poor reviews and has a lackluster marketing campaign. Sales numbers aren't available yet, but I doubt they will be nearly as good. Consider also the fact that the guy behind both games (Haden Blackman) and nearly all of the development team are no longer working for Lucasarts. At this point, it isn't even possible for them to make a third game since they do not even have the resources. Not to mention the fact that Lucasarts doesn't want to make TFU3; hence why they fired the development team and canceled it.

Not to mention the fact that Lucasarts doesn't want to make TFU3; hence why they fired the development team and canceled it.

Please read his whole post but especially that carefully before responding.

http://www.gamerankings.com/xbox360/981370-star-wars-the-force-unleashed-ii/index.html

http://www.gamerankings.com/pc/997958-star-wars-the-force-unleashed-ii/index.html

http://www.gamerankings.com/ps3/981369-star-wars-the-force-unleashed-ii/index.html

Time for something new. How about a really good Star Wars game, LucasArts? How many more years do we have to wait for another one?

Good reviews, poor reviews... means nothing when you've sold six million copies.

Any person would be a fool not to continue something that puts up obscene numbers like The Force Unleashed did, especially in this economy. As I said above, even if The Force Unleashed 2 were to generate a quarter of the sales of the original title it would still translate into grosses of 90 million dollars.

Developmental costs? George Lucas has mastered developmental costs by putting everything under the same roof. Even at 90 million, they would still generate a huge profit.

I have my doubts that The Force Unleashed 2 is only going to generate one quarter of the sales of its predecessor. And I couldn't care less what LucasArts is saying now. Give it a year and just watch. Seriously, have a you guys never sat in on a board meeting when marketers were present? These people are graduates of business schools and all they care about are the numbers. Any marketer is going to take one look at those numbers and is going to be ape shit with enthusiasm.

Seriously, the quality of the game means nothing in this particular case. A brain dead monkey could see that the franchise has already been built.

Good reviews, poor reviews... means nothing when you've sold six million copies.

Any person would be a fool not to continue something that puts up obscene numbers like The Force Unleashed did, especially in this economy. As I said above, even if The Force Unleashed 2 were to generate a quarter of the sales of the original title it would still translate into grosses of 90 million dollars.

Developmental costs? George Lucas has mastered developmental costs by putting everything under the same roof. Even at 90 million, they would still generate a huge profit.

I have my doubts that The Force Unleashed 2 is only going to generate one quarter of the sales of its predecessor. And I couldn't care less what LucasArts is saying now. Give it a year and just watch. Seriously, have a you guys never sat in on a board meeting when marketers were present? These people are graduates of business schools and all they care about are the numbers. Any marketer is going to take one look at those numbers and is going to be ape shit with enthusiasm.

Seriously, the quality of the game means nothing in this particular case. A brain dead monkey could see that the franchise has already been built.

Wabe. The two games aren't even worth this much effort from you.

Honestly. Who cares? Why do you care? How many more pages of arguing and filibustering are you going to generate over this? It's not worth it.

I'm not going to waste my time arguing with you about this. The fact is that you don't have the slightest idea of what went on during the development process or why the third game isn't going to get made.

I'm not going to waste my time arguing with you about this. The fact is that you don't have the slightest idea of what went on during the development process or why the third game isn't going to get made.

LOL!

We're flogging a dead horse here.

"High, honey! I'm home from work! Tough day at the office. We just found out that the project we were working on only grossed three hundred and sixty million dollars. That's it. We're done. All remaining projects based on this have been cancelled."

Yeah whatever.

LOL!

We're flogging a dead horse here.

No Wabe, YOU are. As usual.

Life's too short.

Please everyone: Let him have the last word. You know he won't let up until he gets it.

They'll make a third Force Unleashed game no matter what, Wabe. You win.

No Wabe, YOU are. As usual.

Life's too short.

Please everyone: Let him have the last word. You know he won't let up until he gets it.

They'll make a third Force Unleashed game no matter what, Wabe. You win.

I truly hope the U.K law for internet trolls comes over to NA.

If TFU2 sells well, sure they might, but it won't be anywhere near the same as it was originally going to be. You're quoting sales from one game that sold well. Franchises can be made due to one title selling well, but if the next one bombs that franchise is done. If TFU2 doesn't sell as well as TFU1 then LA is going to have to seriously consider if they want to put the time and money into making a 3rd especially since they would need to hire a completely new team to do it.

When the new head of LucasArts came in one of his first acts was killing TFU3 and announcing that the team would be fired when the second game was done. After that he announced that they were killing any further external development of Star Wars titles after the ones currently in production are finished. Sounds to me like he wants more direct control over the games, doesn't sound like a guy who only wants to farm out as many titles as possible.

Back