Forceware 80.40

More new drivers? :eek:
Edit: Found the change log!
Guru3D said:
Windows 2000/XP - BETA

Quite an interesting new ForceWare driver appeared on 3DChipset today. This 80.40 version adds H.264 hardware decoding to the 7800 series (new sort of MPEG codec) . What's interesting is their is no version number presented in the nv4_disp file. Plus some new entries are apparent in this release too. The C51 chipset by NVIDIA as well as a G72?

The drivers seem to be valid, have been virus checked and recrunched. They are now 11 MB in size. The files in the archive are dated June 13th.

Almost any geForce graphics card to date is supported in these drivers. Again, props to 3DChipset for posting these.

Version Notes:

* nv4_disp lists - DriverVer = 06/13/2005 ; Changelist 1300631
* Adds H.264 hardware decode support for the 7800 series
* Drivers come with a setup.exe for easy installing
* GeForce 2 and up are supported in this release
* Files are dated: June 13th, 2005
* WinZip Packaged
* New Entries:

o NVIDIA_G72.DEV_01D0.1 = "NVIDIA G72"
o NVIDIA_G72.DEV_01D1.1 = "NVIDIA G72"
o NVIDIA_G72.DEV_01D2.1 = "NVIDIA G72"
o NVIDIA_G72.DEV_01D3.1 = "NVIDIA G72"
o NVIDIA_G72.DEV_01D5.1 = "NVIDIA G72"
o NVIDIA_G72.DEV_01DE.1 = "NVIDIA G72GL"
o NVIDIA_G72.DEV_01DF.1 = "NVIDIA G72"

o NVIDIA_C51.DEV_0240.1 = "NVIDIA C51GL"
o NVIDIA_C51.DEV_0241.1 = "NVIDIA C51"
o NVIDIA_C51.DEV_0242.1 = "NVIDIA C51"
o NVIDIA_C51.DEV_0243.1 = "NVIDIA C51"
o NVIDIA_C51.DEV_0244.1 = "NVIDIA C51"
o NVIDIA_C51.DEV_0245.1 = "NVIDIA C51"
o NVIDIA_C51.DEV_0246.1 = "NVIDIA C51"
o NVIDIA_C51.DEV_0247.1 = "NVIDIA C51"
o NVIDIA_C51.DEV_0248.1 = "NVIDIA C51"
o NVIDIA_C51.DEV_0249.1 = "NVIDIA C51"
o NVIDIA_C51.DEV_024A.1 = "NVIDIA C51"
o NVIDIA_C51.DEV_024B.1 = "NVIDIA C51"
o NVIDIA_C51.DEV_024C.1 = "NVIDIA C51"
o NVIDIA_C51.DEV_024D.1 = "NVIDIA C51"
o NVIDIA_C51.DEV_024E.1 = "NVIDIA C51"
o NVIDIA_C51.DEV_024F.1 = "NVIDIA C51"

Please consider this driver to be extremely BETA !! You use it at your own risk. If things mess up ... hey that's the risk you took.

wow - these are supposed to support the mixing of mfgs in sli... cool! they were not supposed to be out till Sept I thought... maybe for the certified ones. nice find. :)

Tried them last night. The video washout bug is still there although still fixable from the colour control panel. When the machine first boots I get an nvsvc32.sys crash (I assume this is something to do with this new driver since it wasnt there at all before) and also Stardock Object Dock doesnt work at all any longer.

Think I will go back to the 77.50 betas.

:D G72 should be a mainstream or mid-range card... like the NV43 or NV41 was to the NV40. I hope it launches at the same time as the C51 chipsets.

Aren't FW release 80 drivers supposed to implement support for multi-processor configurations thanks to multi-threading? That should provide pretty big performance improvements on dual-core and multi-CPU systems. It'll be great to see those dual-core chips showing their muscles in games at last. The performance of the AMD X2 CPU in games should be pretty awesome! :eek:

coz said:
Aren't FW release 80 drivers supposed to implement support for multi-processor configurations thanks to multi-threading? That should provide pretty big performance improvements on dual-core and multi-CPU systems. It'll be great to see those dual-core chips showing their muscles in games at last. The performance of the AMD X2 CPU in games should be pretty awesome! :eek:
I hope this is true, my 4600+ X2 is waiting.

Flak Monkey said:
Forceware 80 isn't number 80.xx. This isnt even foceware 75 yet.
Can you elaborate on how you came to this conclusion please?

coz said:

If this is true and shows any true gains in performance, then I will be 110% happier with my purchase.

Flak Monkey said:
Forceware 80 isn't number 80.xx. This isnt even foceware 75 yet.
Well, the latest 77.72 official release drivers were release 75 drivers so are you saying these beta drivers are older than that? :confused:

robberbaron said:
If this is true and shows any true gains in performance, then I will be 110% happier with my purchase.
Some dual-core owners on the nvnews forums reported no significant increase in performance over what the single-core guys were getting. So, it looks like the multi-threading capability isn't active in these beta drivers yet. :(

coz said:
Some dual-core owners on the nvnews forums reported no significant increase in performance over what the single-core guys were getting. So, it looks like the multi-threading capability isn't active in these beta drivers yet. :(

It's possible that even if there is the capability, theres not much to gain from it anyway.

robberbaron said:
It's possible that even if there is the capability, theres not much to gain from it anyway.
Yeah, that's a possibility. However, Ben de Waal (NV's GPU software VP) said gains should be around 5-30% so it should be a noticeable improvement. When you think of how much the CPU is a bottleneck on high-end video cards these days, being able to get that 2nd core running a bunch of vertex calculation work should be a big help.

But I think the real dual-core advantage will be seen when games developers can introduce a multi-threading capability in games to offload stuff like AI and Physics to a 2nd core. But multi-threaded drivers should be a nice initial boost for dual-core gamers while we're waiting. :)

Back