Ford Smart Cars Will Monitor Blood Sugar

HardOCP News

[H] News
A smart car that monitors allergies and blood sugar? Why? How about blood alcohol levels? I am sure your insurance company would like that information too. Anyone think this is a good idea?

Wednesday, Ford announced that it is looking to add some rather interesting functionality to its Sync "infotainment" system. While other automakers are looking to make driving safer through improved dashboards and navigation, Ford is taking a more direct approach by monitoring allergen content and blood sugar, and providing health-based navigation assistance.

How about blood alcohol levels?

I'm sure the Food & Alcohol Industry lobbyists would be up in arms if this where to get pushed through. Expect a lot of dollars changing hands, to stop this from happening. :rolleyes:

Good idea? Yes. Better than passing out at the wheel because of low blood sugar, or asthma attack, and causing an accident, and killing yourself, or some other motorist or pedestrian.

you know the monkeys on the hill will screw this up. This is intended to help American will end up fooking them.:rolleyes:

Instead of a freakin' medical bay disguised as a driver's seat, spend the money to make the car drive itself. Then you don't have to worry about driver impairment.

Although nerd-rage will get more frightening when you give someone a dirty look and they use their Android phone to hack your carputer and send you off the road. ;)

you know the monkeys on the hill will screw this up. This is intended to help American will end up fooking them.:rolleyes:

+1 yup, like so much of "good intentioned" stuff that's out there, this one will come back to bite ppl in the butt.

Instead of a freakin' medical bay disguised as a driver's seat, spend the money to make the car drive itself. Then you don't have to worry about driver impairment.

Although nerd-rage will get more frightening when you give someone a dirty look and they use their Android phone to hack your carputer and send you off the road. ;)

+1 on this as well :D Comedy of errors rdy to happen with this one.

Blood sugar measurement requires blood.

Are you going to have to plug in an IV to drive the car?

"I almost got in an accident because of my uncontrollable sneezing from my grass allergy. Thankfully the car told me, handcuffed me, called the cops, stopped the car and parallel parked for me."

This is along the same lines of a law that requires all cars to have a backup camera installed, because some idiot ran over his toddler. This happens something like...10 times a year.

I work for a Ford dealership. They come out with ideas almost everyday. Only a very minute number actually go into production. I feel like this is one of those ideas that will not make it.

That's what I was wondering. I'd really rather not get AIDS from a rental car. EVERYONE has been inside one of those and you can't tell me that they've all worn raincoats.

I could see where this could be useful for some people, particularly those with diabetes, provided that it doesn't become a mandatory "feature."

That's what I was wondering. I'd really rather not get AIDS from a rental car. EVERYONE has been inside one of those and you can't tell me that they've all worn raincoats.

Blood sugar can be monitored through the skin, but it's not as up-to-date as measurements taken from blood.

Blood sugar can be monitored through the skin, but it's not as up-to-date as measurements taken from blood.

So you have to have your butt cheeks exposed to the cars seat sensors to drive this car?:(

probably just going to interface with your continuous glucose monitor that sends all the info to your insulin pump. my 8 year old uses both and it would probably be really easy to implement.

probably just going to interface with your continuous glucose monitor that sends all the info to your insulin pump. my 8 year old uses both and it would probably be really easy to implement.

Exactly. My daughter will be using one in the next year or two.

I'm sure the Food & Alcohol Industry lobbyists would be up in arms if this where to get pushed through. Expect a lot of dollars changing hands, to stop this from happening. :rolleyes:

I know they were starting to implement breathalyzer (and what not) installation in cars to prevent drunk driving for people with multiple offenses. I know it's hard to believe, but drunk people don't necessarily remember to not drive when plastered.

What's next, piss in a cup to start your car...?? Pass.....

Actually there are several diesel powered vehicles that require an additive that is injected into the exhaust. One of the main ingredients in that chemical is urea. It is stored in a tank back near the gas tank. If the urea runs out, the vehicle is designed to cut back to idle until it is refilled. Thankfully most people can get from one oil change to another without running out, that is when it is supposed to be refilled.

As a a long time type I diabetic, I do appreciate the idea but...accuracy of ALL bg measuring devices is very prone to accuracy fluctuations which is precisely why I don't have a CGM(ContinuousGlucoseMonitor) connected to my insulin pump.
As for D's being fat...that's mostly type 2's which make up 90% of the officially Dx'ed D population...the remaining 10% are usually normal or skinny like me...5'8, 135#'s
Sweeping generalizations make ya look like a dummy

As a a long time type I diabetic, I do appreciate the idea but...accuracy of ALL bg measuring devices is very prone to accuracy fluctuations which is precisely why I don't have a CGM(ContinuousGlucoseMonitor) connected to my insulin pump.
As for D's being fat...that's mostly type 2's which make up 90% of the officially Dx'ed D population...the remaining 10% are usually normal or skinny like me...5'8, 135#'s
Sweeping generalizations make ya look like a dummy

There is a big difference between type I's and type II's. Just assume anyone talking about it is referring to type II's.

Back