Forget LCD, OLED, SED...I want a LASER TV!!

Mysterae said:
More info here.

It could even be available before SED, but at what price...

Sorry dude, several people have already beat you to it about the technology here on the forum........including me. ;)

Mysterae said:
I should get a new search button...

So cool it needs another mention huh? :)

Well, thing is the general consensus is that no one trusts this new technology til they see it. And they don't trust this supposed incredibly cheap cost that the manufacturers are promising. And, lol, and they don't trust that it will be available at the end of 2007 like they promise.
Its a wait and see thing. If this stuff was this christmas or even early next year then peopel would be going nuts in the forum.

BinaryApe said:
What is so special about SED anyway, I don't think it looks to promising.

Imagine a flat-panel crt with perfect convergence (since its a fixed pixel device). Everything you love about CRTs (minus the very handy non-fixed resolution of tubes) in a LCD form factor and not too much heavier. It doesn't have the 40" or larger size limitation of plasmas so it can be a candidate for computer monitors, while retaining deeper blacks, and high refresh rates. If it lives up to the hype anyway.

And as I hear it, the laser projection folks are having trouble getting rid of the characteristic "dot crawling / swimming dots" effect that you see in the laser beam spot while still keeping all the advantages they are touting.

That sounds like seriously cool tech. I can't wait to see how it works.

Actually with SED the individual pixels would be so small that each pixel on the moniter would be millions and million of the actual pixels. So, really it would, a) have no dot pitch and b) be even more flexible with resolutions than CRT.

Snowdog said:
That sounds like seriously cool tech. I can't wait to see how it works.

haha so you edited ya post huh?

Was bout to say that ya we watch this stuff closer than you do. :D

Obi_Kwiet said:
Actually with SED the individual pixels would be so small that each pixel on the moniter would be millions and million of the actual pixels. So, really it would, a) have no dot pitch and b) be even more flexible with resolutions than CRT.

I hadn't heard of this... as far as I was aware, SED has similiar pixel densities to the current display techs. CRT's are nice because they maintain a 1:1 pixel mapping when you send different resolutions to it. With the fixed pixel devices, they have to scale the frame to fit their resolution... when you have a low ppi device and the scaled resolution isn't evenly divisible by the native resolution, you get the characteristic jaggies and blurring becuase the scaling highlights the low number of pixels available to sample into a new pixel. When we can hit high resolution displays (300ppi or better), hardware image scaling should become much, much less of an issue because the non-native resolution frame can be spread among more, smaller pixels. So I'm looking forward to the higher resolution panels HDTV manufactures are starting to push for... 4080p (or somesuch... google it) That should help make watching standard def content a little more bearable on a fixed pixel HDTV/Monitor.

The only way around fixed pixel scaling right now is to interpolate the frame in software to the native res before it hits the TV/Monitor, so that it can be resampled without trying to force a 1:1 map of an odd number of pixels to a fixed resolution display... like the upscaling DVD players do.

dude forget laser tv... i want contacts to wear that are screens themselves

In small print, it reads if you don't make your monthly payment on your Laser TV, the laser beam will extend forward and cut your nuts off if you miss the 1st payment, cut your head off if you miss your 2nd payment. :D

Happy Hopping said:
In small print, it reads if you don't make your monthly payment on your Laser TV, the laser beam will extend forward and cut your nuts off if you miss the 1st payment, cut your head off if you miss your 2nd payment. :D

So if your a girl do they cut off your boobies? :D

This is definitely an exciting arena for sure. Manufacturers are pushing hard to find the next big thing, including 3D televisions/monitors akin to holographic displays.

The new thing that laser displays apparently brings to table is the ability to show an image on a wall or surface with portable devices - mobile phones, laptops, portable gaming for example. Next we'll have laser/holographic watches (remember Total Recall and a few other films) to really freak with our reality!

I'll get excited by fricken laser monitors when even the tiniest of obscure Chinese sweatshops is making friken laser monitors thereby lowering the overly inflated price of the fricken laser monitors produced by the top tier companies making superior quality fricken lasers.

joemama said:
I'll get excited by fricken laser monitors when even the tiniest of obscure Chinese sweatshops is making friken laser monitors thereby lowering the overly inflated price of the fricken laser monitors produced by the top tier companies making superior quality fricken lasers.

Here here! :p

Happy Hopping said:
Seems kinda redundant... I mean if your nuts have already been cut off, what's the head for?

Or.. were you talking about... nevermind
redface.gif

"- Are half the weight and half the cost of plasma and LCD TVs"

Should we really believe they are going to sell these "Far superior TVs" for half the cost of current LCD/Plasmas?

Back