Former Burnout Developers Announce "Crash Mode" Successor Danger Zone

cageymaru

Fully [H]
When former Criterion Software founders Fiona Sperry and Alex Ward left EA to start their own studio, Three Fields Entertainment, they concentrated on smaller projects such as a golf game and a Playstation VR title. Now they are returning to their race car roots with Danger Zone. Danger Zone isn't a racing game though; it is the spiritual successor to Burnout's crash mode! In this game each level is effectively a destruction puzzle where you drive your car at breakneck speeds into various vehicles that explode in a spectacular chain reaction of sparks, fuel and body panels. Falling off the track disqualifies you, but the more vehicles that you can incinerate stacks your multiplier until your vehicle becomes a remote detonated bomb.

Seems like a really cool concept and estimated to be around $10 or so at launch for the PC and PS4 only! Right now the studio is small as it only has six employees; thus limiting their porting capabilities to only two platforms at a time. The game uses Unreal Engine 4, so it should be a visual treat for the eyes and also maintain a good frame rate. Of particular interest to me was the effect that Unreal Engine 4 was having on the development time cycle of titles coming from the small fledgling studio. The ease of use and power baked into Unreal Engine 4 is allowing the studio to create titles in a four month window. This is crucial to the survival of the company as they have no publishing deal or financial backing from investors. Sales of one title feeds the development of a future title. If this title is a success, I hope that they can get the funding to create a full destruction racer with the depth of Burnout!

"Unreal is incredibly powerful," Ward said. "Tuning the game right now, I can play a game and in the middle of the crash I can stop and move the pickups around, or change what traffic vehicle I want to appear in front of me, press play and do it again. "Back in the day, that would have taken 18 minutes. To move something half an inch and then look at it again on-screen, at least between 18 and 26 minutes. And back then we were one of the fastest teams in the world. Our pipeline was incredibly fast! Other teams would be 24 hours before you could do that."

Awesome! Huge fan of both the racing and (especially) crash modes for Burnout. Hopefully it'll do well and we'll see a full-game successor at some point.

ec699c7ecf558a6cb9f5e6ef2f3ba3b2.jpg

also lol at spelling mistake in meme.

i didn't make it.

Really miss Burnout Revenge which I believe had this along with other crashing style games.

I loved the Burnout games. Hopefully they plan a DRM free version and a Linux version.

If I remember correctly, Burnout 2 was my favorite of the series because to me it had the best racing combined with the crashing. Starting with Burnout 3 the crashing/battling came more the the forefront and the racing took more of a backseat.

Reactions: N4CR
like this
Revenge was probably my favorite. IMO, the crash modes in the PS2 versions were the star of the show, but the racing was "meh." Revenge didn't have as good of a crash mode, but it was a really good racing game. It was a bit unbalanced (certain cars were flat-out better with no downsides) but it was still a lot of fun. The fact that it had really good online play in 2005 didn't hurt, too.
Paradise wasn't sure what it wanted to be (other than Need for Speed: Burnout) and it tried to integrate the two modes. It kinda sucked out of the box, but over time it eventually became a pretty good game.

This is a day 1 buy for me I loved the crash mode in Burnout 3, my kids and I would play that mode for hours on end to see who would get the high score. I also love all the Archer references I've been seeing with the announcement of this game!

Last edited:
Never cared for the racing aspect, but did enjoy the crash mode.

Destruction physics have come a long way since Burnout. Imagine what they could do graphically with a modern take on it and a proper budget.

Everytime I hear that song I feel like putting on my sunglasses and jumping off an aircraft carrier .. really gets the blood flowing.

So....it's Pain, but with cars and hopefully with more than one level.

Damn for $10, I'll buy it even if it sucks, I loved burnout series....especially the party and challenges and such...

Reactions: Nokia
like this
This game needs an AA membership as the person who created this preview is completely addicted to it.

Back