Forwarding the same port for the same service for 2 different machines on home LAN?

criccio

Fully Equipped
Ok, currently my workstation (192.168.1.2) has RDP enabled and port 3389 forwarded to that IP in my router. I can RDP in from the outside perfectly fine.

Now, what happens if I want to be able to RDP into my newly built server? If I forward port 3389 to my server (192.168.1.11), how will my router know which computer to send the request to?

I guess its possible for me to just RDP into my workstation and then from there, into my server. Or just use LogMeIn, but I'm still curios as to what would happen in a situation like that.

Thanks!

Your router will forward it to whatever IP you have set.

You could change the port your server listens on (reg key) to 3390 or something. Then forward that port, and connect to it via ip:3390
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

Most newer routers can forward xx external port to xx internal port.

I use it often :>
domainname:3903 forwards to internal_IP port 3389
domainname:3904 forwards to internal_IP port 3389
domainname:3905 forwards to internal_IP port 3389

If you change the port in the registry, it works, but then you have to use the new port even when your on your LAN

Last edited:
Ok I figured that was how it was going to be done, but how do you change the port RDP listens on? I'll be doing this on my WHS if that matters.

You don't need to change the port that RDP listens on. just do as dbwillis said. set some other port on the WAN that port forwards to 3389 on the inside, so you have 2 port forwarding rules:

outside: 3389 translate to inside computer 1: 3389 (no real translation)
outside: 3390 translate to inside computer 2: 3389

Then just use port 3390 (or whatever you want) when connecting to your second computer.

note that if using RDP internal to your LAN, you still use the default port to connect to both computers.

Yea I realized I could do that as well but the other method is working great now. Thanks though!

Ok I figured that was how it was going to be done, but how do you change the port RDP listens on? I'll be doing this on my WHS if that matters.
If you are using WHS and your computers are joined to it, then you likely don't need to go through all this trouble. WHS allows you to RDP into any joined system from the WHS remote access web interface. You only need to forward a few ports to the WHS.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/windowshomeserver/connect.mspx

You don't need to change the port that RDP listens on. just do as dbwillis said. set some other port on the WAN that port forwards to 3389 on the inside, so you have 2 port forwarding rules:

outside: 3389 translate to inside computer 1: 3389 (no real translation)
outside: 3390 translate to inside computer 2: 3389

Then just use port 3390 (or whatever you want) when connecting to your second computer.

note that if using RDP internal to your LAN, you still use the default port to connect to both computers.

Not all consumer routers support this. Most that I've seen don't.

If you are using WHS and your computers are joined to it, then you likely don't need to go through all this trouble. WHS allows you to RDP into any joined system from the WHS remote access web interface. You only need to forward a few ports to the WHS.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/windowshomeserver/connect.mspx

I have Remote Access turned off. With FileZilla Server running on my WHS, I have no need for it.

Not all consumer routers support this. Most that I've seen don't.

Mine does actually. When you forward a port, it asks for a source and destination port. Normailly I just select "All" as the source, but in this case I would select a source of say 3390 and a destination of 3389.

Anyway, I just changed the RDP listening port on my WHS and it works great. Simple too.

Mine does actually. When you forward a port, it asks for a source and destination port. Normailly I just select "All" as the source, but in this case I would select a source of say 3390 and a destination of 3389.

Anyway, I just changed the RDP listening port on my WHS and it works great. Simple too.

Awesome, if your router supports it, that's the way to go. I use port redirection on my router as it's definitely easier administratively.

Awesome, if your router supports it, that's the way to go. I use port redirection on my router as it's definitely easier administratively.

Agree, Port Triggering is available in most routers and is much easier to setup and keep track of imo

Back