Forza 3 Critiques

Eibach

Limp Gawd
Post your critiques about Forza 3.

I noticed that there isnt a draft meter anywhere...

Also there is a bug in replay. When you drive with manual/clutch and try to watch the replay your car will always miss shift and you will hear the grinding of the gears.

Other than that i think this is the best racing game i have played so far!

Love the game, but have a few critiques to add...

This game, more than any other in recent memory really illustrates the 360's desperate graphics situation. The sacrifice was made to drop IQ for framerate, which in a racing game is the right thing to do, but what was left was spent solely on the cars. The environments look somehow cartoony. Textures aren't the greatest either. It looks good, but not great.

AI is still terrible. Have never seen an AI lock his brakes up if I brake check him coming into a corner. He'll just ram me -- in a 350,000 dollar car. Yup. Believable. I've heard, but not seen any proof, of AI making mistakes if you stick to their diffuser long enough. AI just DOES NOT DEVIATE from the racing line for ANY reason.

Nice to see the ol' invisible pit crew members are back. Nice touch, Turn 10. Damage is present and abysmally unrealistic as it was in FM2. Kept my foot on the throttle through the Corkscrew at Laguna Seca in my upgraded G8 and merrily drove away with everything marked red on the damage indicator.

With FM2 I felt a lot of the missing or half-implemented features were acceptable. It was a very ambitious game and tried to break into a very exclusive sub-genre. FM3, however, has not really improved upon its predecessor. Sure, each car has ten times the triangles the last game's models had. Community features and sharing have come a long way, right. However, it still doesn't feel like racing. There's no annoying teammate or team principle telling you who's in the lead and who just spun out. There's not even an option for it. There's no totalling your car. No pit crew (as mentioned earlier). Zero polish.

Ok so I said I love the game and nobody who reads this post will believe me, I'm certain. It really is fun and meets my needs until GT5 so... ::shrug:: Definitely a worthwhile purchase but T10 really need to try harder next time.

Probably could have just gone in the Forza thread.

Yeah but that was getting lengthy and i wanted to focus on just the critiques of the game.

I would agree mostly with MiG31_Foxhound, there could have been a ton more polish rather then adding SUV's... like really? who is going to seriously be racing a SUV in a racing sim..... kinda got me there.

I do enjoy the new drifting feature but it doesnt seem to do anything, it doesnt give you more credits in a game and there is no specific mode to go drifting against ai or anything.

The poor detail of the tracks is disappointing but I only really notice it when I'm watching somebody else play. The 60fps is nice but I still think I'd prefer some nicer visuals with a framerate of 30fps ala GRID or the like.

1) Could be isolated to just my console and connection, but 15 seconds before someone on my friends list pops on through notification, my game will stutter.

2) Even though I have a "clean" lap on my first lap, my lap always seems to get dinged for not being clean. Is this a bug, or a feature?

3) Wish there were more tracks.

Game is fun as hell though.

-Damage modeling is seriously underwhelming. It's probably the result of automobile manufacturers having a major beef about people wrecking digital representations of their products (I'm looking at you, PORSCHE) but, god dammit, when I slam a Bugatti Veyron into a wall on the Old Le Mans stretch @ 200 MPH, I don't want only the paint to slough off with a ding here or there on the bumper. I WANT THE DAMN THING TO CRUSH LIKE A SODA CAN!

-Kinda disappointed with the track selection. Don't get me wrong, Turn10 introduced a couple of great tracks and brought back some great classics like Fujimi Kaido, but Nissan Speedway, New York, and Sidewinder, to name a few, all need to go away.

-BAMPBAMPTSHH,BAMPBAMPTSHH,BAMPBAMPTSHH,BAMPBAMPTSHH -- I turned that shit off immediately. Speaking of audio, does anyone know how to silence the well-spoken man in the game menus? I can't control the game when he's talking. :(

- Like the above poster, I like the drifting points (reminds me of Kudos from PGR) though I wish they actually did something other than accumulate in the stats. I initially thought that they were credits to blow on upgrades or new cars. It seems like that they started implementing this feature and somehow forgot to finish it.

-Graphics are looking better than ever in Forza, but why the hell do I still see 2D sprites of people in a game that was released a week ago? Nascar Racing 2 for DOS, yes, but Forza 3?

-Turn10 seemed to go mad with giving achievements for even the most basic tasks. Started the game? Here's a trophy. Paint your car? Here's a trophy. Remembering to breath oxygen? You better believe that's a trophy.

-Okay, seriously. The British bloke has to die. How do I get rid of him?

Despite these complaints, I really do enjoy the game. The in car view is pretty spiffy and I definitely get a kick out of rolling over in the SUVs XD. The rewind feature is a nifty thing to have since I suck at maneuvering cars with a controller and the "One button" feature is great for playing split screen with those who suck even more than I do at driving. Hell, it's something that I will probably use when I start doing the endurance races.

Love the game, but have a few critiques to add...

This game, more than any other in recent memory really illustrates the 360's desperate graphics situation. The sacrifice was made to drop IQ for framerate, which in a racing game is the right thing to do, but what was left was spent solely on the cars. The environments look somehow cartoony. Textures aren't the greatest either. It looks good, but not great.

AI is still terrible. Have never seen an AI lock his brakes up if I brake check him coming into a corner. He'll just ram me -- in a 350,000 dollar car. Yup. Believable. I've heard, but not seen any proof, of AI making mistakes if you stick to their diffuser long enough. AI just DOES NOT DEVIATE from the racing line for ANY reason.

Nice to see the ol' invisible pit crew members are back. Nice touch, Turn 10. Damage is present and abysmally unrealistic as it was in FM2. Kept my foot on the throttle through the Corkscrew at Laguna Seca in my upgraded G8 and merrily drove away with everything marked red on the damage indicator.

With FM2 I felt a lot of the missing or half-implemented features were acceptable. It was a very ambitious game and tried to break into a very exclusive sub-genre. FM3, however, has not really improved upon its predecessor. Sure, each car has ten times the triangles the last game's models had. Community features and sharing have come a long way, right. However, it still doesn't feel like racing. There's no annoying teammate or team principle telling you who's in the lead and who just spun out. There's not even an option for it. There's no totalling your car. No pit crew (as mentioned earlier). Zero polish.

Ok so I said I love the game and nobody who reads this post will believe me, I'm certain. It really is fun and meets my needs until GT5 so... ::shrug:: Definitely a worthwhile purchase but T10 really need to try harder next time.

Amazing, I feel the exact opposite about all of your critiques.

These people wanting monster car damage should stick with burnout, the game is not about totalling your car, yes it does happen in this kind of racing but come on, you cant have everything, maybe next gen consoles will be able to pump out true 1080p 60fps, ultra texture car damage with physxxx, 100 hours of commentating and in Race advice in every single language and a crowd where every individual crowd member is different and has as many polygons as each car does, and cram it all on a couple of discs. I meen come on in order to get the car damage ultra realistic for every situation theyd probably have smash 100 of each licensed car!! Fuck me they missed the fag lighter out of the celica, mother fuckers this game is shit! Wheres the dam GTA mode!!!? I am being very sarcastic, no need to take me too seriously but give the developers a break!
shit we dont ask for much do we!!!

Im a PS3 fanboy at heart and even i think FM3 developers has done a fantastic job and the graphics are jaw dropping! For now im truly truly jealous and nealy bought a 2nd hand 360 (probably will still) just for this game.

Last edited:
I'd avoid a second hand one Rash (because those tosser pirates are currently offloading their banned machines)... but look here (especially towards the end) and you'll see some fantastic deals about to hit on 360s: http://neogaf.net/forum/showthread.php?t=378761

Cheers for the heads up, i think your right ill have to buy new, I might go for one of those if there are any left but i think ill end up being too impatient getting it imported etc. Now im thinking to get the Forza package off amazon now that the 360s had drives are getting a decent size, Its £239 for the forza 250gb limited edition with 2 wireless controllers on amazon uk, just wondering if the box work is just an outer packaging though with a standard 360 boxing inside. Im also wondering wether the hard drive is quiet on these aswell as my original 20gb was too loud. Think im gonna get a 360 to keep now as ive now given up on pc gaming (selling my steam account for £170 which is nice!!) So ill be getting it just for the exclusives like forza and lfd2 etc. Hmmm decisions Decisions.

Ahh, sorry I forgot you were in the UK. That link isn't much good for you.

But yeah, there's some great elite deals in the UK right now too.

ok on amazon uk £348 for the 250gb super forza elite package, 2 wireless controllers, 2 play and charge kits, official wifi adaptor (i dont buy 3rd party stuff!!), left for dead 2 and a hdmi cable (£1.75!!!). does that sound good?
cheers

Last edited:
Does anyone know if the new Nissan GT-R (Godzilla) is in this game? I swear, I've looked everywhere for it and I can't seem to find it.

And does anyone here use the Hire Driver feature? I've read it's quite useless, but I kinda don't want to participate in some of the longer races and I had good luck with the B-Spec feature in GT4 so I was wondering if the two were somehow similar.

It's coming as DLC (The GT-R)... no-one really knows when though.

...and congrats Razz.

i personally would have rather spent $15-20 dollars on dlc with the extra cars and tracks of fm3 then the $65 for the game new. im rather disappointed and tired of being pit maneuvered by the AI.

I disagree with your entire post but want to touch on this point.

I think the AI is 10000000000x better. In Forza 2 I couldn't pass them/defend my position by protecting the inside line because they would just ram me. In 3 if I protect the inside line going into a corner they will actually go wide to avoid me. If I go into the corner too quick they will over/under me which I think is cool as shit since it seems to me the game designers put moves for the AI in the game that is used in real racing. Also, if I hit the corner just right after protecting the inside line I can actually force them off the track WITHOUT them even touching me. They then fall back and try again at the next corner.

The ONLY time I think the AI doesn't deviate from the line is in the first 3 or 4 seconds of the race...after that it all seems fair game.

And yes, the AI will slip up if you are right on their butt for to long. I've forced several cars to try to out brake me(again, a real world tactic used by the AI) and shoot off the track.

Like I said, I'm extremely impressed with the AI because it responds amazingly well to moves that are used in real racing. (protecting inside line and over/under and out braking).

Last edited by a moderator:

I think the AI is 10000000000x better. In Forza 2 I couldn't pass them/defend my position by protecting the inside line because they would just ram me. In 3 if I protect the inside line going into a corner they will actually go wide to avoid me. If I go into the corner too quick they will over/under me which I think is cool as shit since it seems to me the game designers put moves for the AI in the game that is used in real racing. Also, if I hit the corner just right after protecting the inside line I can actually force them off the track WITHOUT them even touching me. They then fall back and try again at the next corner.

The ONLY time I think the AI doesn't deviate from the line is in the first 3 or 4 seconds of the race...after that it all seems fair game.

And yes, the AI will slip up if you are right on their butt for to long. I've forced several cars to try to out brake me(again, a real world tactic used by the AI) and shoot off the track.

Like I said, I'm extremely impressed with the AI because it responds amazingly well to moves that are used in real racing. (protecting inside line and over/under and out braking).

Well your observations are very valuable to me because I'm not anywhere NEAR finished with this game so I'll continue to watch for the behavior you described. I loathe having to deal with traffic so I usually just juice my PI and blow away from them near the start/during the first lap and don't have to deal with long, strategic overtaking opportunities. Watching F1 has made me realize how much time is wasted behind an even marginally slower vehicle.

You mentioned you disagreed with the rest of my post, and as such I'd be interested in hearing some more well constructed counterpoints. Thanks for the feedback.

Yeah i would agree generally the ai is better than F2 but i usually play on hard and it seems that if im in second place tailing the guy for the entire race he will never mess up unless i hit him. And also at that point no one else is near us. It is a little weird i though. I did notice that even if i increase my pi pretty high the first place ai still can keep up just by following the lines exactly. I have never seen a car go off the course yet. But i guess ill just have to keep playing lol =)

I find that when the AI is set to hard, they drive much smarter, I.E. they do not ram you when you protect your driving line. I have even had an AI car pull a feint on me, and I fell for it! I think turn 10 hit all the right spots. I did not pay for fancy track background scenery, fully 3D spectators, or perfect damage simulation. What I did pay for was a large car roster, some of the finest driving simulation to date, and realistic car to car interaction. I feel I got all those things, and the game looks great to boot.

Well your observations are very valuable to me because I'm not anywhere NEAR finished with this game so I'll continue to watch for the behavior you described. I loathe having to deal with traffic so I usually just juice my PI and blow away from them near the start/during the first lap and don't have to deal with long, strategic overtaking opportunities. Watching F1 has made me realize how much time is wasted behind an even marginally slower vehicle.

You mentioned you disagreed with the rest of my post, and as such I'd be interested in hearing some more well constructed counterpoints. Thanks for the feedback.

Cool, another F1 fan on here. There aren't that many.

/waves as fellow F1 fan

Not that there's much to shout about lately. Stupid aero grip spoiling all the overtaking.

Not exactly lighting up the sales charts...

How long until Turn 10 gets canned like Bizarre Creations ?

I expect you're quite excited to be allowed into a Forza related thread Stereophile. Who knows, maybe you'll even behave like an adult this time.

Not that I guess you care, but Europe's where games like this sell the biggest numbers. Even the mighty GT4 only hit ~600k on its first month in the US, and that was with a console install base of 23 million+.

Who knows, maybe you'll even behave like an adult this time.

Not that I guess you care, but Europe's where games like this sell the biggest numbers. Even the mighty GT4 only hit ~600k on its first month in the US, and that was with a console install base of 23 million+.

I act like a gentleman. I never had any of my posts mod edited in that thread. I've never been banned from this site, not even for a day. I stopped posting there because it was derailing a hype/laudatory thread too much for the game to be put under the limelight and all that comes with the the title of "definitive racer of the generation."

Some people just take criticism too personally. It really blew up after we found out there were so many LOD level swaps and the real game's car models had far less polygons that Che had claimed. How many months ago did I say, based on Forza 1/2, Turn 10's "in game footage" bullshots are always highly exaggerated ?

Yes F3 and GT5 will sell better in Europe than NA, it's obviously the largest fanbase for racing sims. But you have to admit 175k NPD sounds a bit low ? I believe that's worse than Forza 2's opening. What do you think it will do LTD ?

Hopefully Greenawalt has learned some humility. I won't say bomba, but the series is treading water, I don't think it will exceed F2's LTD. Even though it's the closest thing to GT on X360, there is too much other competition since back in 2007.

You stopped posting there because a mod stated that he'd deal with the situation if you (or Technoob) posted there again.

As for it being low? Yeah, possibly. But that's for 5 days of sales and as you well know, these games don't sell all their units in one go. They have very long legs.

[Edit - As for lifetime sales? 3 or 4 million at a guess.]

How many months ago did I say, based on Forza 1/2, Turn 10's "in game footage" bullshots are always highly exaggerated ?

Indeed they are bullshots exaggerated, however, that isn't any different than PD has done since day one. That is what marketing does. Is it right? No. But don't think Turn 10 is the only ones trying to pull the wool over your eyes. PD was much much worse about it this year with the PSP bullshots.

Hopefully Greenawalt has learned some humility. I won't say bomba, but the series is treading water, I don't think it will exceed F2's LTD. Even though it's the closest thing to GT on X360, there is too much other competition since back in 2007.

I think it will come close to doubling FM2 sales (retail sales, not talking about bundling free in boxes).

Indeed they are bullshots exaggerated, however, that isn't any different than PD has done since day one.

You missed the distinction. PD does put out bullshots, but they are clearly such. The replay mode models are the in game models, I believe PD said it is the same model, only with more post processing. Turn 10 played switcheroo with the car models, the in game cars didn't turn out looking nearly as good as what Che claimed were in game screen shots. The detail was lower, the geometry tesselation was greatly exaggerated. Interiors lost detail too. None of this would be an issue if Turn 10 hadn't made such ridiculous claims. I give F3 a solid 8/10 for graphics.

Yamauchi said it plays well but isn't quite a sim. I think what he meant is there is another underlying layer between the player and physics. In my admittedly limited time with F3, even with all assists off, the big hp cars are just a little too tame and easy to control if you make a mistake. Like with the graphics, I believe the driving is not targeting 100% realism, but rather taking some artisitic license to make the game more fun for the target demographic.

Back