Forza 3... Who's Getting It?

The only thing I've heard is them saying there was "100 tracks," which I'm sure includes tracks that are just flipped, so you drive them in reverse, or in some cases a slight change in the path you take, but overall it's the same track.

I saw the conference and when they were giving their "definitive racing game" speech they said over 100 tracks in the final game but then I read somewhere about the 30 tracks with 3 variations for each track, still like I said I think it's plenty and sometimes reverse tracks are more challenging which is even better.

Definite buy for me if (which I expect) it is 60fps.

I hate lame developers who think that 30fps is just fine. Turn 10 did an excellent job with Forza 2 and I expect no less from Forza 3.

Standard practice for PR really... it's like the x cars thing (where they include slightly different versions of the same car in the total). I'd wager about 30 tracks sounds right... with different variations therein.

There were 12 tracks in Forza 2, with something like 40 variations. So I think 25-30 base tracks is realistic overall (gives a similar ratio on base tracks to variations).

[Edit - Staples, yeah, it's 60fps]

I think I remember reading there were going to be point to point and drag racing... should be fun.

Probably not unless I see it in a bargain bin somewhere. Forza 2 was extremely repetitive and the actual racing was rubbish. The other cars would go around the track like they were on rails, they could not be shoved and if you ever got in their way, you paid dearly for it.

Being able to muck around with car parts does not equal driving "simulation" when the racing is unrealistic crap. I wish Forza and Gran Turismo would realise this.

You got a different copy of Forza 2 then the rest of us. That is some crazy shit.

I will if I can use my G25 with it.

Nope, but you can use a better one than the G25. It's the Porsche Turbo S wheel from Fantac.

I have a launch premium 20GB, still working fine, probably because I've added three extra fans inside the box.

I added a ceiling fan inside my PS3.

But that is all anyone has seen :confused:

Unless you've played it of course. Any differences control wise over GT5p?

I have GT5p.

Some Forza 2 and 3 comparison photos:

forza2c01.jpg

forza3c01.jpg

and...

forza2c02.jpg

forza3c02.jpg

It has been confirmed that this game will ship on two discs.
http://www.joystiq.com/2009/06/04/forza-motorsport-3-will-ship-on-two-discs/

If that sounds like a downer for you because of disc changing read this quote FTA:

Joystiq Article said:
When asked if the second disc would act as a data transfer, downloading the additional content to the hard drive for use with the first disc, Wendl told us that was "exactly right."

FUCK! I want Forza 3 now!

Nice... 3 monitors, that new steering wheel, and hydraulics! Too bad we didn't get to see him roll it. I wanted to see him get ejected from that seat. ;)

wow, I think that setup can make a race car driving fan out of my grandma. Pretty insane setup.

You could use up to like 6 or 8 monitors on Forza 2.. nothing new there. You need a 360 and a copy of the game for each monitor.

You could use up to like 6 or 8 monitors on Forza 2.. nothing new there. You need a 360 and a copy of the game for each monitor.

Yeah, you could also do it with the first Forza, on the original Xbox as well.

Man, when the trailer started playing at E3 MS conferance, I screamed like a little school girl, I"m been waiting for forza 3 forever! Cant wait :D

Definite buy for me if (which I expect) it is 60fps.

I hate lame developers who think that 30fps is just fine. Turn 10 did an excellent job with Forza 2 and I expect no less from Forza 3.

Those who played F3 at E3 say that inside the car it's 30fps, so I dunno...

god I wish my force GT would work on 360 :(

Yeah, the cockpit view was only recently added, the devs reckon they'll get it to 60fps by release and given the improvements they've made over Forza 2, I'm inclined to believe them.

Why does everyone like in cockpit view so much?

I would be surprised if more than 10% of people ever use it. Hardly worth spending tons of time developing.

Why does everyone like in cockpit view so much?

I would be surprised if more than 10% of people ever use it. Hardly worth spending tons of time developing.

i use front bumper view.. its the only view im able to use.. and its all my cousins fault.. i use to drive the cars third person until i started playing forza with him and now i cant use anything but the bumper view.. ARG!!! i get horrible tunnel vision from it though but oh well..

It looks awesome, i'll probably pick up GT5 too to compare though :D lol

Nope, but you can use a better one than the G25. It's the Porsche Turbo S wheel from Fantac.

But the Fanatec wheels are all limited runs which you have to order online and wait for the next run to be sent out. The G25 on the other hand is one of the most common wheels amongst sim racers, and can be bought from any computer or games shop. Not to mention most people who already own a G25 wont be able to justify going out and buying a new wheel for $200 or more, when the Fanatec wheels aren't massively better.

Either Forza 3 supports the G25, the Fanatec wheels become cheaper and more widely available (still can't easily get one in Australia), or I wont be buying an xbox 360 to get Forza 3.

Why can't they just support the bloody G25? The PS3 and PC both can use the G25, OR the Fanatec wheels, but the stupid xbox 360 can only support the Fanatec ones, and only the specific models labelled as being compatible.

Why can't they just support the bloody G25? The PS3 and PC both can use the G25, OR the Fanatec wheels, but the stupid xbox 360 can only support the Fanatec ones, and only the specific models labelled as being compatible.
It's not something they can just do. Either MS or Logitech will need to develop some sort of dongle because the 360 uses a different type of force feedback system. Given MS and Logitech don't like each other very much... I don't see it happening.

That said, I've decided that I'm grabbing the Fanatec wheel... because I was never going to buy a wheel until someone made one that was compatible with both the 360 and PS3. It does suck that it's ltd edition, and I hope that someone makes one that goes on sale long term.

Count this guy in for Forza 3. Forza 2 was great, 3 looks awesome. It will be a busy fall lol, we got Forza 3, NFS Speed Shift, Dirt 2, just in the Xbox racing department.

One word: Licensing.

Afterall, all the controllers speak the same language: USB.

One word: Licensing.

Afterall, all the controllers speak the same language: USB.

Yeah, thats basically it, but its a stupid licensing issue. You dont want to license to some company who makes limited runs of their wheels, which are more expensive and harder to get for most people. MS just needed to concede back before FM2 came out and let logitech make their wheels available.

Also, the 360 does have a different interface, PS3 and PC use the same interface, but 360 uses a different one, which would mean either an adapter would need to be made or some sort of emulator... something I'd gladly pay for.

Yeah, thats basically it, but its a stupid licensing issue. You dont want to license to some company who makes limited runs of their wheels, which are more expensive and harder to get for most people. MS just needed to concede back before FM2 came out and let logitech make their wheels available.

Also, the 360 does have a different interface, PS3 and PC use the same interface, but 360 uses a different one, which would mean either an adapter would need to be made or some sort of emulator... something I'd gladly pay for.

The problem is with Microsoft. When designing the 360, instead of using the standard HID for USB that PC and most other USB devices use (PS3 included) they developed XID. It does exactly the same thing, but its not generally compatible with HID devices. MS COULD write drivers into the game to support specific wheels, but they won't do that. They want money from companies paying licensing fees to use XID. Fighting games are running into this problem. If you and your friends have the same fighting game on different consoles, you both have to buy a stick for each console to be able to play with eachother, because of XID.

Sony doesn't sell a racing wheel but Microsoft does so if they allow Logitech to sell their wheel even at a slightly higher price, you know that people won't buy the MS wheel. The same thing can be said with the wireless doogle. Afterall it is just USB so the standard is the same, they only need to implement it in the software.

The same thing can be said with the wireless doogle. Afterall it is just USB so the standard is the same, they only need to implement it in the software.
You really do like talking with authority about things you don't understand don't you... here's what Logitech themselves had to say on the issue:

(even) If it were a licensed product, it would need to have significant microprocessor, firmware, and PCB layout changes in order for it to work with Microsoft's force feedback scheme for Xbox 360. The way force feedback works on Xbox 360 is extremely different from the Windows method, and the electronics in our current products cannot support it.

...and if that wasn't clear enough, they said it again:

the Xbox 360 does force feedback in a very different way than the PC, PS2, or PS3

This is, of course in addition to the licensing issues.

Sony doesn't sell a racing wheel but Microsoft does so if they allow Logitech to sell their wheel even at a slightly higher price, you know that people won't buy the MS wheel. The same thing can be said with the wireless doogle. Afterall it is just USB so the standard is the same, they only need to implement it in the software.

wrong.

ps3 supports HID which is the same as PC's/windows support
360 uses XID, which means your basica HID devices will not work. Im not an expert on the technology by any means, but i know there is some fundamental difference here on why the 360 will only work with the MS wheel. its not a simple cut and dry procedure as you suggest.

USB is a standard, it is just a bus for devices to communicate with each other. What goes through the bus is standardized. It is just like when you plug in your USB device to your PC, the device might not work until you install a driver.
http://www.usb.org/home

Why did MS use some kind of encryption for the USB ports on their consoles? The answer is licensing. Afterall it is still using the USB standard but MS implemented some sort of encryption so that companies need to pay before their device would be compatible with the console.

You really do like talking with authority about things you don't understand don't you... here's what Logitech themselves had to say on the issue:

...and if that wasn't clear enough, they said it again:

This is, of course in addition to the licensing issues.

I have read that before, but I find it hard to believe it can't be solved through software or some sort of dongle... its just Logitech have no motivation to make one because they aren't lisenced to.

After all, wheels which work on 360 also work on PC and PS3, so either the controllers/wheels contain 2 PCBs or else its not that hard to emulate for it.

MS are idiots for doing it the way they have, they are trying to get a piece of every market by making their own wheel, but instead they are pushing people away. If their console supported the G25, me and many other PC sim racers would have bought an Xbox 360 to play Forza 2 and 3. Then they'd have a lot more of our money from consoles, games and accessory purchases, compared to us buying nothing. I'd suggest the number of MS wheels floating about is far less than the number of Logitech DFPs, G25s, MOMOs, DFGTs, etc. If they'd made their bloody console compatible, they'd have access to a larger market of sim racers. Even the number of both MS wheels and Fanatec wheels combined would be far less than the number of Logitech wheels around.

Fact is I'm just an unhappy camper because I want to play Forza 2 and 3 but can't because I can't afford to drop $400AUD on a console AND another $400-500AUD on a wheel to replace my G25 that works perfectly fine. Especially since one of the attractions of a 360 is its price... might as well just buy a PS3 and GT5, its a hell of a lot cheaper and easier than buying a 360 and a new wheel.

Last edited:
After all, wheels which work on 360 also work on PC and PS3, so either the controllers/wheels contain 2 PCBs or else its not that hard to emulate for it.
There's one single wheel which does that... and it's only just been released. (The Fanatec Turbo S Wheel)

Yes, they could come up with a dongle solution, but whilst MS and Logitech are being dicks, that's not going to happen.

There's one single wheel which does that... and it's only just been released. (The Fanatec Turbo S Wheel)

Yes, they could come up with a dongle solution, but whilst MS and Logitech are being dicks, that's not going to happen.

The MS wheel can work on PC with the same dongle you use for the controller. It wouldn't work on PS3 because its an MS wheel so I'm sure they haven't written drivers for it to work on PS3 :p

Here's a 13+ minute video from GameSpot, discussing all sorts of different aspects of the game: The new graphics engine, physics, AI improvements, car damage, car customization and user created content.

Back