Found a new use for a dremel

joecool234

Limp Gawd
After populating an entire PCB with components (99% surface mount ICs, caps, and resistors), I noticed the traces for my only thru-hole component was missing...DOH! I'm using an LPKF pcb-milling machine to mechanical make my traces. Every now and again, the foot of the LPKF machine causes some of the solder layer to be scraped up and it gets stuck on the foot. This then causes traces to not be milled and I have to remove the built-up solder and mill again. Anyways...back on topic. I didn;t notice the traces were missing and once components are soldered, I can't go back to the LPKF machine. I usually just use an exacto knife to fix the missing traces, but this would be waaay to time consuming this time. My boss suggested that he bring his Dremel in. Duh...I say to myself.

So basically, all you modders unite...your Dremel can now be used for something else besides case modding. If you ever need to quickly mod traces, a Dremel is THE way to do it.

Funny you should mention this. I recently have started plans to build a small desktop cnc Dremel milling machine, in part to mill pcb boards by this method (and many other uses like cutting acrylic etc.). I've never been completely satisfied with the results I've obtained from resist marker, iron on etc. for my pcb boards, and the Dremel method looks very promising.

There are many examples of home brewed machines of this nature on the web, I don't have my links handy but a quick Google brought up one of the pages I've looked at here.

agent420 said:
There are many examples of home brewed machines of this nature on the web, I don't have my links handy but a quick Google brought up one of the pages I've looked at here.

Yo...that link is freakin [H]ardcore. Props to that dude for making the machine himself. We spent $11K on our machine, used. And on top of that the software was originally written by Germans, in German...the US port is absolutely horrendous. Our version is over 3 years old and they finally updated it. Unfortunately, the techs have no idea whats improved, but they still want to charge a grand for us to upgrade. Bastards...

Anyway, if you are actually able to get this to work (all the while being computer controlled) there is potential for u to make SERIOUS cash. Either on Ebay or immediately being hired by LPKF or T-Tech.

Oh...and what exactly is meant by Cliffs?

Actually there is plenty of good freeware / shareware control programs and the drive electronics are fairly simple. It's the mechanical design, or rather finding ways for cheap hardware store stuff to perform like $$$ linear motion slides & bearings that is the difficult part. Still, it's not insurmountable and a lot of people have built decent machines.

Anyone interested in this topic should check out the forum site CNCzone. Lots of good info, photos and prject logs.

[edit]
Oh...and what exactly is meant by Cliffs?
Must be behind in my slang.

agent420 said:
Anyone interested in this topic should check out the forum site CNCzone. Lots of good info, photos and prject logs.

WOW.......where were you two years ago when I first started with this stuff? Thx for the link.

Back