Found a slight 3870x2 heatsink issue . Affects the copper sink only.

Ok after several weeks of my temps on core two slowly going up on a stock 3870x2 i found that the heat sink was seperating..

I know for fact the 4870x2 uses two simalar copper sinks like the 3870x2 . The studs that are factory pressed into the Sink slowly pulled out of the COPPER on my 3870x2..:mad: Before this happened My max temps were around 80c on a hot day with stock clocks and many bench runs for both cores crossfire enabled.

The cause of all this,,

The spring pressure and retaining bracket puts much preshure on the Copper Sink and combined with normal temps the copper would expand a litlle and walla the studs eventually came loose...This in return makes the heatsink pull away from the GPU causing the Higher temps! The Aluminum sink was not affected ,, its the rear CopperHeatsink ONLY @the DVI connector end of VideoCard.

I did not tear down the whole card , it seems the Aluminun sink did its job propperly.. This is the SECOND card ive had do this and on the first one its aluminum heatsink was NOT affected. Seems to be ONLY THE COPPER SINK ,in which it may be too heavy for the Card since it is always suspended under it when mounted .. Cards that face up may not ever see this problem. Check your HEATSINKS for any signs of uneven mounting with the Main PCI 1.1 heatsink(Red Colored sink).. They should be even all the way around the inside edge of it (both aluminum and copper sinks)...

The card still works but @ 112c on one Core(stock)and 65c max on the second under 3Dmark06 caused me to look into this..

Something i never would of expected ... Hmmm this really has me thinking,,4870x2's will be using TWO copper sinks instead of just one:yepp:

This was way too high for a single Core 118c max temp on core with 22c ambiant room condition! :eek: even 843mhz ,,To test this i set the faulty Core to @18mhz more than stock..Screen shot was right after the Bench run.

save3870x2overheatstocknOC.jpg

Here is what to look for with out total disasembly (DVI end of card):up:

015.jpg

Notice the Hole in the heatsink on the right side, the Stud has dropped down where it no longer sticks above the hole. 2 out of the four studs slipped down and they are only pressed in (not threaded into the sinks)from what a tech had told me when i called:mad:

016.jpg

018.jpg

Also the Back spring and tension bracket may lift on the coners where studs have come out of sink....

020.jpg

NOTE:

POWER PLAY TEMP protection started tripping the card eventually ..Then i decided to bench it to see what i could find.
Id check this out if any of you have abnormal temps . I was using RivaTuner to set the Fan to 100% all the time and i figured i must have a bad driver tripping powerplay....I Knew it wasnt the driver when i threw in my back up 3870/ddr4 and it ran Flawless Oced @810core/ 70c max..

I have tested many cards ATI/Nvidia and even sat through the overheating issues with Nvidia 8800GT/GTS..Finding flaws is not new to me.

This can happen with any 3870x2 . Now that ive sent a few of these back(same problem) from differnt Vendors i though id give my 2cents.. The 4870x2 uses the same Heatsink technology...Im hoping the 4870x2 is not affected becuse it uses two heavy @$$ copper sinks"knock on wood"

EDIT...........UPDATED............

The 3870x2 and 4870x2 are way too simalar to ignor this little issue..

(Circled in Red) are the same mounting points that Failed on the 3870x2 COPPER HEATSINK only...Remeber i said the aluminum one is unaffected ATM. They can fall out since there only pressed in . Thus when the copper expands from heat,bingo thats it! I know for fact the 4870x2 will run Hot thats why thier is a heat tube connecting both GPU/Sinks but they still mount the same ....There is also no PLX heatsink molded onto the mainbody like the 3870x2 had..That is a + for less heat anyway and more airflow.

I will be buying a 4870x2 but will be using a waterblock..For people who arnt keep an eye on it...

image4.jpg

image3.jpg

DSC01025_large.jpg

DSC01024_large.jpg

The eye opener is that 3870x2 and 4870x2 both look the same except for a heatube and lighter COPPERHEATSINKS are used ..With minor external changes to the main aluminun base the COPPER HEATSINKS still mount through with pressed in studs along with the springscrews and backing plate..

Compare.jpg

Im pretty shure it will be just fine on the 4870x2 .You know what to look for if its not.

gOtVolTage

Hmmm....I've got 2 3870x2's and have nto encountered this. I have my card running at 40% fan through rivatuner and i get idle temps around 45-60 on all cores. I have ASUS branded cards.

Yeah its rare and ive installed many of them .I have only seen two like this so far...in 5months..I have also purched and tested over 8 just for friends running Quad Xfire and with Zero problems running them with 8.4 and up drivers:D the 8.6/8.7beta is by far the best for these.

I repeat..THIS IS NOT a common thing to happen but it does. I thought other people may want to Know ,seeing that the Cards will still work with this problem but( Run Very HOT) and trip PowerPlay Protection..

I will be getting a Waterblock for my replacement card..

Anyhow the cards are still great bang for the buck for people with single slot solutions and running Xfire.

UPDATE 7/31/08 couldnt find reciet but i fixed her up real good

I used a punch and dimpled the studs so they wont fall out any more.

I then added MX-2 to the GPU's only and left everything else stock including the fan...

Despit the problem , it turned out to be a nice clocking card :D 918mhz/2200mhz both cores stay below 60c fully benched with the STOCKCOOLER still!

superstock.jpg

Note: NO VOLT MODS ,Visiontek Bios and Oced by AMDgpuTool with Rivatuner setting Fan to 100%

Back