Four Suicide Attempts in a Month at Foxconn

HardOCP News

[H] News
What in the hell is going on here? Four suicide attempts in a month at Foxconn? Wow. Just…wow. :eek:

The police in Shenzhen are investigating all the incidents, and have not given any clarification about the motives in each case. However, a spate of four suicide attempts within a month is a sign that something is rotten in the Foxconn plant. Several attempts to contact Foxconn today to comment on the conditions at Longhua were unsuccessful.

Damn those people really need to find another job. One that is less stressful. That's just crazy I gave up high pay jobs for a lower paying job b/c it has almost no stress...life's too short to worry all the time.

Well I guess you guys didn't hear about the riot at the Juarez plant right? All of the 2nd shift, that's close to 2k people got pissed off cause they forced them to stay overtime. They ended up burning the cafeteria and damaging other parts of the plant. Their reputation here in juarez is the worst for how they treat their employee's. I guess world wide it's all the same.

Well I guess you guys didn't hear about the riot at the Juarez plant right? All of the 2nd shift, that's close to 2k people got pissed off cause they forced them to stay overtime. They ended up burning the cafeteria and damaging other parts of the plant. Their reputation here in juarez is the worst for how they treat their employee's. I guess world wide it's all the same.

:eek: Damn! They were forced to stay overtime? +1 for them burning that cafeteria.

foxxconn makes the ipod...
They make a lot more than that, from wiki:

Among other things, Foxconn produces the Mac mini, the iPod, the iPad, and the iPhone for Apple Inc.; Intel-branded motherboards for Intel Corp.; various orders for American computer manufacturers Dell and Hewlett-Packard; motherboards for UK computer manufacturer Zoostorm; the PlayStation 2 and PlayStation 3 for Sony; the Wii for Nintendo; the Xbox 360 for Microsoft, cell phones for Motorola, the Amazon Kindle, and Cisco equipment.

Exposure to chemicals messing with peoples minds, or a China-based company large making adjustments in the human resources department because they can get away with it due to their importance to the local and national economy. You make the choice.

Foxconn employs 550,000 people according to WikiP.

If you look at the suicide rates in China - it`s about 5-8 per 100,000 (if I read it correctly).
According to : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epidemiology_of_suicide

So 4 suicides from 550,000 is actually FAR LESS than the general population.

Why is this even a news story ? (we could also ask why is the iPad a news story!)

Yet another beat up by the media.

Asian's are nuts.

"In 2007, the Ministry of Health estimated that there are 25 suicides per every 100,000 people in China each year, compared with 15 per 100,000 globally."

Exposure to chemicals messing with peoples minds, or a China-based company large making adjustments in the human resources department because they can get away with it due to their importance to the local and national economy. You make the choice.

I'm thinking this too. Possible new chemical exposure and reaction to it could be the cause of the sudden rise of unstable minds.

Asian's are nuts.

"In 2007, the Ministry of Health estimated that there are 25 suicides per every 100,000 people in China each year, compared with 15 per 100,000 globally."

Its not Asians as a race, its Communism and other High-Pressure, Heavy-Handed methods of worker oversight and ethic. For the people of foxconn, i am certain that work-life isn't much better than prison life would be.

"Well you'll work harder with a gun in your back
For a bowl of rice a day,
Slave for the soldiers till you starve
Then your head is skewered on a stake"

-Dead Kennedy's "Holiday in Cambodia"

Foxconn employs 550,000 people according to WikiP.

If you look at the suicide rates in China - it`s about 5-8 per 100,000 (if I read it correctly).
According to : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epidemiology_of_suicide

So 4 suicides from 550,000 is actually FAR LESS than the general population.

Why is this even a news story ? (we could also ask why is the iPad a news story!)

Yet another beat up by the media.

if you times that by 12 (for a year) then... its much higher. i wonder how much news gets supressed

Damn those people really need to find another job. One that is less stressful. That's just crazy I gave up high pay jobs for a lower paying job b/c it has almost no stress...life's too short to worry all the time.

You are aware that people who work in plants like this also tend to stay in plant dorms and other plant owned houses/districts so quitting would also mean losing friends or housing etc. It's just not as easy to quit and go elsewhere.

Foxconn's "Facility" looks like more of a PMC compound than a plant making electronic gadgets... if I were trapped in there I probably would go wacko.

Backing Kurac's point, a quote from a article from the telegraph.

The Longhua plant is the single largest assembly base in the world for computers, mobile phones and consumer electronics. Around 300,000 workers reportedly live and work there. To give you an idea of the scale of the place, one Foxconn consultant once told me that he had turned up at the wrong entrance to the factory and was told to travel to the next entrance along. The journey took half an hour by car.

My uncle, who works for one of Foxconn's divisions, always complains he works like a dog. Maybe he's onto something...

The Longhua plant is the single largest assembly base in the world for computers, mobile phones and consumer electronics. Around 300,000 workers reportedly live and work there. To give you an idea of the scale of the place, one Foxconn consultant once told me that he had turned up at the wrong entrance to the factory and was told to travel to the next entrance along. The journey took half an hour by car.

o_O

daaaaamn

maybe they believed they were "magical" and could fly?

I'd bet that four people at Foxconn are also suspected of leaking information about Apple. Just coincidence though.

i think its crazy how this often is only read on hardocp...
foxconn is horrible and often overlooked in the news
apple is horrid and loves foxconn

i think its crazy how this often is only read on hardocp...
foxconn is horrible and often overlooked in the news
apple is horrid and loves foxconn

A lot of OEM put Foxconn boards in budget machines, including Dell and HP.

wonder if there was any sort of foul play involved

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/m...in-a-month-at-foxconn-the-makers-of-the-ipad/

Yesterday, an 18-year-old female worker at Foxconn became the fourth person in as many weeks to attempt suicide by jumping from one of the factory buildings.
The girl, only known by her surname, Rao, had only been working at Foxconn’s Longhua plant for a month. Fortunately a tree broke her fall, but she was severely injured. Foxconn confirmed the incident to the Chinese media, and a spokesman was quoted saying Miss Rao had been fighting with her boyfriend before she jumped.
On March 29, a 23-year-old man, named Liu, jumped out of a dormitory window at the Longhua plant at 3am, dressed only in his factory shirt and underwear. The unnamed man was a university graduate and had worked in Foxconn’s wireless technology department since he joined last August.
On March 11, at 9.30pm, a worker in his twenties, named Li, jumped to his death, again at the Longhua plant. According to Chinese media reports, the man’s bonus was stolen at Chinese New Year.
Finally, on the morning of March 7, a female employee named Tian jumped from her dormitory building and injured herself, saying that she was under a great deal of pressure.

I heard that they rioted because management said they might be forced to buy an iPad.
That's enough to drive someone crazy...;)

Seeing as the workers are essentially prisoners within the factory compound, I'm not surprised.

ipad is about 6mo salary isn't it?
thats if they didnt eat/sleep and have to FARKING PAY TO LIVE AT THE FACTORY AND WORK 16 HOUR SHIFTS.

is it foxconn that walked out of their shift a year or two back.. then the government hung a sign up over the factory and forced everyone back to work
"work will make you happy" or "work for the country" some motto..

shit sounds so much like jewish prison camps its fucking sick how twisted their government is.

Its not Asians as a race, its Communism and other High-Pressure, Heavy-Handed methods of worker oversight and ethic. For the people of foxconn, i am certain that work-life isn't much better than prison life would be.

"Well you'll work harder with a gun in your back
For a bowl of rice a day,
Slave for the soldiers till you starve
Then your head is skewered on a stake"

-Dead Kennedy's "Holiday in Cambodia"

Well, we can't use communism as an excuse for Japan can we?

Makes you wonder why people have problems with chinese made goods. These people are worked like slaves and have extremely limited options. You work for the state or you have nothing.

pick a chinese government response:
"its for the greater good"
"don't pick on us, you guys did it in the 1800s"
"these are china's problems not yours.."
"we owned this territory for thousand years *cough cough*"
"work harder for the nation"
"never happened"

Doesn't anyone find it odd that the girl jumped and fell into a tree, that broke her fall? I mean a fucking tree? Talk about fail....you can't even kill yourself! I'm lolling at this person so hard. Obviously she didn't see a fucking tree out of her window. Could you imagine if you were a bystander and saw someone jump and bounce off a tree branch? "Hey, you're gonna hit that tree! Move a little to the left!"

Is actually a concentration camp, sort of like WWII but without the "showers" so stop buying Apple nazi shit.

Hey, somebody had to take the fall for all those lousy CPU sockets....

What will happen if we boycott iPad for the reason of Foxconn employees' mental and health sake?

pick a chinese government response:
"its for the greater good"
"don't pick on us, you guys did it in the 1800s"
"these are china's problems not yours.."
"we owned this territory for thousand years *cough cough*"
"work harder for the nation"
"never happened"

Why do you think the gov't should even respond at all? Four people killed themselves and outside of the one who took a bounce off a tree branch, did so in an uninteresting manner. Why would the gov't comment on this?

Makes you wonder why people have problems with chinese made goods. These people are worked like slaves and have extremely limited options. You work for the state or you have nothing.
Foxconn is not owned or operated by the State. I think many people have problems with Chinese made goods out of utter ignorance.

Foxconn is not owned or operated by the State. I think many people have problems with Chinese made goods out of utter ignorance.

dude, its the states labor laws that allow and even encourage foxconn and other companies' brutal policies. ever heard of our governments laws on number of hours you can work a week? or maybe vacations? or workplace safety? yeah well they havent, because there are no such laws protecting them.

Back