Foxconn G9657MA-8EKRS2H matx motherboard

jingra

n00b
Just in case anyone is interested, I emailed Foxconn about this board and got the following reply:

>>On this model, you can used FOX One utility to increase the FSB.or manually adjust it >>in the BIOS in Fox Central Control menu..For Memory voltage, you can increase up to >>1.80 to 2.15 with an increment of +0.05.

>>Thank you and Best Regards,
>>Technical Support

Hope this turns out to be a viable alternative to the asus p5b-vm. If anyone has any other info about this board, please share it here.

Don't know about pci lock, but since they are allowing overclocking (even encouraging it with their Fox One utility) I would hope that they allow the pci/pci-e bus to be locked.

yes it has pci-e locks, all chipsets do. Now to what extent; is up to the chipset maker and how much R&D time the manufac. wnats to put into the BIOS of the board.

Also check out the Foxconn 946GZ board which is alredy @ egg

No matter what this chipset won't hit high clocks regardless.

Gary over at AnAndTech got in touch with Gigabyte's PRs. Apparently, the 965G chipset can only take up to 350FSB [and usually much less] before SATA drives crap out. Usually, its around 330. If you're using IDE, this limit is up to 340.

Its not even a PCI-e lock issue apparently - its just that the chipset can't handle overclocking very well. [that's what Gary said]

I have pretty much given up hope of running a nice conroe sff. Of course i can go back to ATX but i hate the bulkyness. I just like how compact sff is.

bernz said:
No matter what this chipset won't hit high clocks regardless.

Gary over at AnAndTech got in touch with Gigabyte's PRs. Apparently, the 965G chipset can only take up to 350FSB [and usually much less] before SATA drives crap out. Usually, its around 330. If you're using IDE, this limit is up to 340.

Its not even a PCI-e lock issue apparently - its just that the chipset can't handle overclocking very well. [that's what Gary said]
Sounds like a lock issue. If that's true, why not just use an external card? They're cheap.

for those in the UK, Eclipse Computers appear to have it in stock for a reasonable price.
http://www.eclipse-computers.com/product.aspx?code=MBF-G9657MAKRS

it appears to be avery full featured board, including raid, and what i like - an optical spdif on the back panel.

i'm not ready to build yet, but would be very interested in overclocking potential of this board and ram compatibility (voltage range). The manual does not seem to be available for download yet.

so, does anyone want to bite and give it a try? :)

You're right, but I think the picture they show is wrong. It should match this: http://www.tweaktown.com/news/6564/foxconn_announces_g9657ma_8ekrs2h_motherboard/index.html

Let's go check Foxconn's website...

Well, the manual shows it has basic timing adjustments and all of the voltage options available, but it doesn't say how high they go. Foxconn has let me down twice in the past and their boards have a nasty tendency to lock the VCORE from going above a certain amount, even though they allow higher adjustments in the bios. Bit of unendearing deception.

Their 6150 board was a step in the right direction and their bios layout on this board is far nicer. The PCI-E x1 slot is in a smart location if you needed both PCI slots. (except I needed it!) No DVI on this board, though, if you were going to use onboard. None of the caps are solid cap design though, which could hurt OCing. Could be decent...

maybe we should not make a big deal about conroe. I mean, if you game at 1600x1200 there is hardly a difference in performance between athlons and conroes. I only care about gaming so i guess i don't care if there is not going to be a oc conroe mATX

Any UK guys out there get the FoxConn board yet? I'm reallying looking forward to see if it'll be less ram picky.

Back