Foxconn Is Installing Safety Nets on Buildings?

Wow, what lengths will they go to in order to stop suicides without actually figuring out what will keep folks from JUMPING in the first place?

Although maybe this is just a temp fix before the formed is set in place...

Wow, what lengths will they go to in order to stop suicides without actually figuring out what will keep folks from JUMPING in the first place?

They already know what gets people to jump... the compensation packages for death at the factory is just too lucrative.

Those nets don't look like they'd protect someone if they fall.. Plus, I think its actually for when they put camoflauge netting or something on top so people can't see large amounts of sunlight when they go outside.

Hope none of them have a 'circus performer fetish' because those nets look mighty nice.

They've put a net there to catch their fall
Like it'll stop anyone at all
What they don't know is when nature calls, you go
- Barenaked Ladies, War on Drugs

Damn they are gonna have to start handing out bonuses to those who don't jump.

:rolleyes: And to think, the solution is as simple as solving all of humanities problems.

DAMN YOU AND YOUR GREEDY WAYS FOXCONN!!!

China is all about safety now and this is just an example of how they're taking steps to make suicide safer for everyone.

=)

you americans like point finger. Foxconn good worker. Foxconn best workplace yes. No suicides here. Nets for recreation. Yes, haha Jump! more fun here than america!

now if only there were knives.

i say rise up and strike against your opressors. better wasting your life going down like that then trying to be suprman.

if it wasn't for the 1800's unions we would all be jumping off buildings (much different than our unions today).

Image looks shopped somehow, where are the net supports?
Please rest assured that the "Employee Retention System" has undergone all generally accepted quality assurance procedures*.

* Employee losses as a result of testing have stabiliized.

They already know what gets people to jump... the compensation packages for death at the factory is just too lucrative.

Please note, I was very careful in my wording...I didn't ask, "Why doesn't Foxconn figure out WHY these people are jumping." I was specific in saying, "Why doesn't Foxconn figure out what will KEEP these people from jumping."

Big difference there. :D

:rolleyes: And to think, the solution is as simple as solving all of humanities problems.

DAMN YOU AND YOUR GREEDY WAYS FOXCONN!!!

I don't think Foxconn needs to solve all of humanities problems :rolleyes: but they should investigate/implement methods to keep these people from jumping in the first place. Maybe its just too many folks cramming in to, much too small of a space.

Please note, I was very careful in my wording...I didn't ask, "Why doesn't Foxconn figure out WHY these people are jumping." I was specific in saying, "Why doesn't Foxconn figure out what will KEEP these people from jumping."

Big difference there. :D
as for keeping people from jumping, I don't really think that is foxconns job. yeah, we like to talk about how factory workers are exploited. It makes for lots of good press against industries that "outsource". But the factories do give the employees a better standard of living than if they did not have any job. yeah, it is mind numbing repetition that does not involve too much intellect. But its a job. I suspect in many ways china has been affected by the economic downturn as much as anyone else. We have little visibility into this. I think the suicide thing may be more of a cultural issue. The country has typically devalued females. Males may find it harder to find women, women may feel that they are more of a burden on their families. Suicide, with 10 years of salary going to the familes then becomes an attractive option. Hell, if companies did that here in the US you would see a huge surge in suicides.

I don't think Foxconn needs to solve all of humanities problems :rolleyes: but they should investigate/implement methods to keep these people from jumping in the first place. Maybe its just too many folks cramming in to, much too small of a space.

You're missing the point.

The suicide rate at the Foxconn factory is no higher then the average suicide rate around the world. Somewhere between 500,000 and 750,000 people kill themselves every year, aside from the attention-whoring media there really isn't a story here.

Noooooo! :( If just one flying dolphin gets caught in their nets Foxconn will go through hell! :mad:

:p

Palo Alto (CA) high school had a string of suicide by CalTrain a couple years ago, and I assure you the population of the high school is much lower than Foxconn ... these temporary disturbing trends develop here and there from time to time. What leads humans to group behave like this is unfortunate. Pass the kool-aid, please.

They are just testing out the latest iphone 4 accessory.

as for keeping people from jumping, I don't really think that is foxconns job. yeah, we like to talk about how factory workers are exploited. It makes for lots of good press against industries that "outsource". But the factories do give the employees a better standard of living than if they did not have any job. yeah, it is mind numbing repetition that does not involve too much intellect. But its a job. I suspect in many ways china has been affected by the economic downturn as much as anyone else. We have little visibility into this. I think the suicide thing may be more of a cultural issue. The country has typically devalued females. Males may find it harder to find women, women may feel that they are more of a burden on their families. Suicide, with 10 years of salary going to the familes then becomes an attractive option. Hell, if companies did that here in the US you would see a huge surge in suicides.

Agreed, it's most likely a cultural/socioeconomic issue but it seems to me, Foxconn might want to try and go above and beyond here in order to try and escape the media's attention(as difficult as this might be). I understand that its very difficult to stop people from doing what they want, when they're determined, especially when it comes to killing themselves(something I've never understood and will hopefully never contemplate).

I can picture the board meeting now.......

"We need nets around the building... This sidewalk cleanup cost is eating into our margins."

They already got rid of that. Now your family get nothing

You're missing the point.

The suicide rate at the Foxconn factory is no higher then the average suicide rate around the world. Somewhere between 500,000 and 750,000 people kill themselves every year, aside from the attention-whoring media there really isn't a story here.

Not this again. :p

You can't compare the population inside of one area to the population of the entire world or entire country. That is comparing apples and oranges. When you look at the entire world or entire country you are going to have many more types of people. Looking online real quick i found a site that claims about .4% of the world population dies every year from starvation. So by your logic, 4 out of every 1000 rich people should die a year from stravation. If 0 die due to not being able to afford food that means that we have solved world hunger. When looking at the entire world or entire coutry you are going to have more problem people than you will in a small group like this. They have their own city, everyone there should have a job otherwise they wouldn't be there. So you don't have people killing themselves due to lack of job. The quality of life should be better than those living out in the middle of no where, etc... If these things aren't true then it is up to this company to fix that. If they aren't payig their employees enough for them to make a living they should pay them more, if they provide them with horrible quality of living they need to fix that.... These people should be better off than others outside of these factories, so they shouldn't be as likely to kill themselves as those outside of the factories. If that isn't the case then something needs to be resolved then. You can't expect them to fix the entire world or entire country, but when they hold every aspect of their employee's life in their hand you can expect them to solve the problems there at their own factories.

All those falling people is a workplace hazard that hardhats cannot always defend against. This is a logical progression.

The nets have been mentioned in several other threads about Foxconn on this forum fairly recently. How is this new?

Either way, the reason for the jumpers seems to have been the death compensation package since there has not been a jumper since the benefits were reduced/eliminated for suicides. So I guess all the folks trying to shit on Foxconn in many threads here for poor working conditions being the reason for the leapers were just wrong. While I am fairly sure the working conditions played a role in some of the folks decision making process, there still have been zero jumpers since the change of benefits while the conditions have not changed. I can pretty much promise you that the nets have played little or no part in preventing the suicides. The nets were for Foxconn to be able to say they were doing something for prevention, that is all.

As to the dude doing the math on the suicide rate at Foxconn vs all of China,,,,stop that please. It's pretty fucking stupid.

We realise there are other sides of the building right? ;)

But as if you wouldn't jump now. Wheee!

Bid Mosquitos that look oddly like humans! hmmm Good Job with the nets I am sure it will keep the mosquitos at bay!

Back