FP-988D: the good and bad

Slider19

Gawd
Just got a chance to try mine out for 15mins.

Good: No dead pixels I could see
Clear, vibrant text and colors
Good response time that I noticed immediately coming from a 1905FP 20ms panel

Bad: Colors will need some fine tuning, but I think a good color balance is within reach
The very top half of the screen seemed darker to me than the rest of the screen. Could be because of incorrect viewing angle, but I don't think so. Is this normal with this monitor? Should I risk an RMA with dead pixels over this? It is noticeable in windows, but I need to spend more time to see if it will bother me or not.

Thoughts?

Slider would be very interested in hearing you thoughts after some more use. I am looking really hard at this monitor. Its going for a great price right now and looks liek it will meet my needs. would be interested in finding out how much fine tuning is required for to get he colors right. Any screen shots would be great too...

thanks

Here's what I can tell you right now. Text is very sharp and very readable. The 1905FP was good here to, but just too bright and gave me eye strain if I looked at it for too long or in low light. I don't see this on the FP-988D.

Black levels are great for an LCD, but there is a very slight purple tint to the black. I might be able to adjust that later on. Even if not, it's not too bad.

Haven't gamed on it yet, but from windows use, response time is only slightly worse than my CRT, and that's a good thing for an LCD.

The only negative issue here is the darkening of colors on the top of the screen. Like when I move my window on top, the title bar looks darker. This could just be a matter of getting my viewing angle right. Even if not, I'm not sure if that is enough of a reason for me to RMA the LCD, especially since it has no dead pixels AFAIK. I'll have to look at that closer in the coming weeks.

For $255 (AR) shipped, I'm very pleased with it.

Slider,

just ordered one of these from newegg... Now that you have had it a bot longer, how is it working for you? have you figured out why its darker on teh top than the bottom? Have you got teh colors dialed in?

Thanks

Back