FPS issues with x800xl

downthesun

n00b
I just bought a new video card a few weeks ago, radeon x800 256 mb and I was really excited to get it into my pc and play games with great fps and stuff. Well I played CS:S and I was only getting 30 fps when people would come on the screen or if i would look out over a wide area. In tfc I get like 40 fps when spam comes around or if I have gibs at like 99999 I get about 30 fps. A few months ago with my old video card which was a radeon 9800 I was getting 100-80 fps in TFC with billions of gibs on the screen, then I installed the new drivers of the time and then I began having fps issues, also around that same time I installed more memory and I also took my video card out and broke one of the heatsink coils. I figured I was getting the bad fps because of the heatsink coils, but if that was the case I wouldn't be getting the same issues with my new card. I uninstalled my old catalyst drives before I installed my new video card/new drives. I used the windows uninstall feature though.

The memory I'm currently using is 4 corsair dual channel chips. VS512MB400C3 in slot 1 and 3 and VS512MB400 in slot 2 and 4. My processor is 3.2 ghz. I don't really understand why my fps are so crappy, it makes me really sad :(

update:
Alright, I took out the 2 VS512MB400 ram and i have the 2 VS512MB400C3 running as dual channel and I'm still getting fps issues. I ran the 3dmark05 test before and after taking the ram out and I got 20 fps and it steadily dropped to 10 and hovered in the 10-13 range. I did take the correct memory out. I also have the newest catalyst drivers installed. I have my mobo setting for my video card set at 256mb. I'm gonna try dropping it down to 128mb. My mobo is a p4c800-e deluxe. Could my problem be a psu problem and my video card not getting enough power or something? I run 4 hard drives, 4 pci slots in use, 1 agp slot, 1 cdrom, no fans(i have a big one blowing into my pc though). All of that is running on a 500w psu. Please help me, my pc seems so great until its actually being used :-/.

update:
I changed my mobo settings for the video card so it was 128mb and I'm STILL getting 20-10 fps in the 3dmark05 test. I hope someone here can help me, I really don't know what to do. I have never overclocked any of my hardware, I don't know how, and I don't want to risk breaking something.

processor? (specifics)

video card temps?

cpu temps?

driver version?

did you follow these directions for installing new drivers?

AA/AF vsync, resolution settings in game, blah blah blah blah

I'm watching my buddy play CS source on my machine @1600x1200. FPS doesnt really drop below 100. You have something wrong.

CPU #1
APIC ID 0
Name Intel Pentium 4
Code name Prescott
Specification Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.20GHz
Family/Model/Stepping F34
Extended Family/Model 0/0
Package mPGA-478
Core Stepping D0
Technology 0.09µ
Instructions Sets MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3
Clock Speed 3198.5 MHz
Clock multiplier x16.0
Front Side Bus Frequency 199.9 MHz
Bus Speed 799.6 MHz
Stock frequency 3200 MHz
L1 Data Cache 16 KBytes, 8-way set associative, 64 Bytes line size
L1 Trace Cache 12 Kµops, 8-way set associative
L2 Cache 1024 KBytes, 8-way set associative, 64 Bytes line size
L2 Speed 3198.5 MHz (Full)
L2 Location On Chip
L2 Data Prefetch Logic yes
L2 Bus Width 256 bits

Temp for CPU is about 114 degrees F

I have the 5.8 Catalyst drivers.

I'm gonna look through that guide tomorrow and do what it says. Hopefully that will fix my problem. Thanks.

I did all the directions in part 1 saw only about 10 fps increase, so I tried the second install directions but I couldn't seem to get regcleaner to work properly. I followed the rest of the directions and still saw only a 10 fps increase in the 3dmark05 program.

my resolution for CS:S is 1280x960, vsync was disabled and AA is none. All the settings are recommended to be high, I have them set to medium though due to my fps crapping out.

downthesun said:
I just bought a new video card a few weeks ago, radeon x800 256 mb and I was really excited to get it into my pc and play games with great fps and stuff. Well I played CS:S and I was only getting 30 fps when people would come on the screen or if i would look out over a wide area. In tfc I get like 40 fps when spam comes around or if I have gibs at like 99999 I get about 30 fps. A few months ago with my old video card which was a radeon 9800 I was getting 100-80 fps in TFC with billions of gibs on the screen, then I installed the new drivers of the time and then I began having fps issues, also around that same time I installed more memory and I also took my video card out and broke one of the heatsink coils. I figured I was getting the bad fps because of the heatsink coils, but if that was the case I wouldn't be getting the same issues with my new card. I uninstalled my old catalyst drives before I installed my new video card/new drives. I used the windows uninstall feature though.

The memory I'm currently using is 4 corsair dual channel chips. VS512MB400C3 in slot 1 and 3 and VS512MB400 in slot 2 and 4. My processor is 3.2 ghz. I don't really understand why my fps are so crappy, it makes me really sad :(

update:
Alright, I took out the 2 VS512MB400 ram and i have the 2 VS512MB400C3 running as dual channel and I'm still getting fps issues. I ran the 3dmark05 test before and after taking the ram out and I got 20 fps and it steadily dropped to 10 and hovered in the 10-13 range. I did take the correct memory out. I also have the newest catalyst drivers installed. I have my mobo setting for my video card set at 256mb. I'm gonna try dropping it down to 128mb. My mobo is a p4c800-e deluxe. Could my problem be a psu problem and my video card not getting enough power or something? I run 4 hard drives, 4 pci slots in use, 1 agp slot, 1 cdrom, no fans(i have a big one blowing into my pc though). All of that is running on a 500w psu. Please help me, my pc seems so great until its actually being used :-/.

update:
I changed my mobo settings for the video card so it was 128mb and I'm STILL getting 20-10 fps in the 3dmark05 test. I hope someone here can help me, I really don't know what to do. I have never overclocked any of my hardware, I don't know how, and I don't want to risk breaking something.

I'm in the same boat as you.

I have the following:
6800gt agp
Athlon 64 3000
1 gig ddr ram
gigabyte k8 triton mobo
coolmax 400w psu

I had the x800xl but I returned it for the 6800gt. Alas, my 6800gt ran as horribly as the x800xl in Source. X800Xl, 6800GT, it doesn't matter. They both ran horribly in Source.

When I'm playing counterstrike source, I'll be standing there and my fps will be in the 120's. But as soon as I start moving the fps will drop into the 70's-80's. When gunfights erupt, my fps will drop to the 30's and 50's depending on how much action is going on. Trying to aim and burst fire at these times is nonexistant. It's becoming highly frustrating that I can't aim and burst fire anymore. Alot of the times, I have to rely on spraying due to the horrible fps and crosshairs not coming back. Some people have reported the same problems. However, others have reported getting constant high frames even with a lower end video card.

My friend has the same exact layout as me and his fps never drops below 70's with all the settings turned on high. I turn all of the settings down to the bottom and my fps still drops like crazy.

I don't really think it's our machines. Check out the steam forums and see what they've said about Source. I seriously think something is up with Source.

Go into console and type mat_picmip 1, that helped for me, what's weird is that I could play on mat_picmip 0 forever, but when I switched to 5.8 ngo drivers I just couldn't anymore. Weird.

dmonkey said:
Go into console and type mat_picmip 1, that helped for me, what's weird is that I could play on mat_picmip 0 forever, but when I switched to 5.8 ngo drivers I just couldn't anymore. Weird.

Tried that, same thing. This sux. :(

swy81 said:
I'm in the same boat as you.

I have the following:
6800gt agp
Athlon 64 3000
1 gig ddr ram
gigabyte k8 triton mobo
coolmax 400w psu

I had the x800xl but I returned it for the 6800gt. Alas, my 6800gt ran as horribly as the x800xl in Source. X800Xl, 6800GT, it doesn't matter. They both ran horribly in Source.

When I'm playing counterstrike source, I'll be standing there and my fps will be in the 120's. But as soon as I start moving the fps will drop into the 70's-80's. When gunfights erupt, my fps will drop to the 30's and 50's depending on how much action is going on. Trying to aim and burst fire at these times is nonexistant. It's becoming highly frustrating that I can't aim and burst fire anymore. Alot of the times, I have to rely on spraying due to the horrible fps and crosshairs not coming back. Some people have reported the same problems. However, others have reported getting constant high frames even with a lower end video card.

My friend has the same exact layout as me and his fps never drops below 70's with all the settings turned on high. I turn all of the settings down to the bottom and my fps still drops like crazy.

I don't really think it's our machines. Check out the steam forums and see what they've said about Source. I seriously think something is up with Source.

i had an xl and i got a small bump by changing to an xt and no matter what i did im just like u start out 120s then down to 70's then when its gets intense 40s its just how the game is just wait till newer cards come out ...........cuz when the first CS came out the current cpu and video card couldnt run it in 100 frames so yea give it some time

downthesun said:

What is your 3dMark05 score? If it's around 5000-5400 your x800xl is fine.
I run source and hl2 (1280*1024) all on high and it works fine.
Occasionally with cs:s, it will dip to 30-50fps but it's playable. Most of the time stays at 90.

Boki said:
What is your 3dMark05 score? If it's around 5000-5400 your x800xl is fine.
I run source and hl2 (1280*1024) all on high and it works fine.
Occasionally with cs:s, it will dip to 30-50fps but it's playable. Most of the time stays at 90.

So if it works fine in 3dmark05, then his card is fine. So he should just go back to CS:S knowing that there is nothing wrong with his card. :rolleyes:

Roll back to previous Cat drivers, I'm still on 5.6 or 5.7, not a single stutter.

my x800xl works awesome in eveyrthing I throw at it.
I have an amd machine though.
I also run it at 1600x1200 with 4aa and 16x aniso
I never get below about 50 fps
not sure what your issue is but it isnt the vid card as x800xl flies

Back