Fraudulent Paypal charges to skype FYI

supaspoon

Limp Gawd
Did some looking around and it seems that this is not new, although i didn't find mention of it here on the forums.

Anyway, I noticed yesterday $100 of charges going out to my pp account (which i have not used at all in over a year). Five $10 charges to skype, which I have NEVER done business w/ at all, and one $50 charge to 'Adepto Group' which I've never heard of. Anyway, the Adepto company responded to pp's inquiry immediately and refunded the charge, however it looks like skype is just going to sit on their hands.

So anyway just thought i'd throw a heads up, as this seems to be a common occurance lately. I keep pretty solid pw's and separate email acct's etc. etc., as well as having not touched my paypal acct. for a very long time (even before, it was only ever used for ebay).

GL

Did some looking around and it seems that this is not new, although i didn't find mention of it here on the forums.

Anyway, I noticed yesterday $100 of charges going out to my pp account (which i have not used at all in over a year). Five $10 charges to skype, which I have NEVER done business w/ at all, and one $50 charge to 'Adepto Group' which I've never heard of. Anyway, the Adepto company responded to pp's inquiry immediately and refunded the charge, however it looks like skype is just going to sit on their hands.

So anyway just thought i'd throw a heads up, as this seems to be a common occurance lately. I keep pretty solid pw's and separate email acct's etc. etc., as well as having not touched my paypal acct. for a very long time (even before, it was only ever used for ebay).

GL

I though you had to confirm PP transactions?

Good luck getting a refund out of skype. They have a great service, but awful awful customer support even for real customers such as myself.

Cant wait for google to buy them

Yeah, like I said, I have no idea how exactly they managed to do this. If someone had actually gotten in direct access to my account or something i'd imagine they'd have tried to get more than 100 bucks. Due to being unsure of the 'how' factor I closed down all associated accounts/cards and opened/ordered fresh ones just to be 100% sure.

As for skype, PP told me on the phone that they'd refund me the charges themselves regardless of what skype does, so gg to them.

But yeah, just a heads up, a quick google seems to indicate this is fairly common. So a quick check up on your pp account couldn't hurt.

Back