Free alternative to partition magic?

Daravon

Weaksauce
I need to increase the size of my C: partition. Are there any safe free programs for doing this?

What partition type is it? parted supports resizing FAT32 and FAT16 partitions but not NTFS. Ntfsresize does just that; see the gparted livecd, which includes it.

Ransih Partition Manager. You can either get it here by itself http://www.ranish.com/part/

or with the Ultimate BootCD which also contains a bunch of other Partition Managers.

Ranish does not support resizing NTFS partitions though, but Partition Resizer on the Ultimate BootCD does the job.

EDIT: That gpart that unhappy_mage linked to looks damn nice. Thanks for the link unhappy_mage. I think I just found my replacement for Partition Magic.

I burnt off that gparted liveCD, but nothing happened. But then, I have been unable to install linux on this system at all, so maybe that has something to do with it.

This is a pretty serious problem...I can't install SP2 until I make my partition bigger. It's NTFS.

Ranish does not support resizing NTFS partitions though, but Partition Resizer on the Ultimate BootCD does the job.

Q: Does Partition Resizer resize NTFS partitions?

A: No, NTFS partitions are currently not supported by the resizing engine. They can only be moved but you cannot use Partition Resizer to change their size.

Sorry bud, that sucks. I didnt catch that, I saw the warning on the first page about the previous version having a bug with moving NTFS partitions and to use the current one.

Tried out Gparted. It is pretty nice, but it does not support moving NTFS partitions, so if you have a partition right after your C:\ partition, that wont work for ya either.

Back