FREE McAfee as Class Action Settlement

HvyMtl

[H]ard|Gawd
Class action settlement for those who missed this on the front page of [H]ardocp.com -
IF you owned mcafee antivirus versions 3 or 4 - go get your free upgrade, antispyware, or quick clean at http://software.mcafee.com/lcas

QUOTED FROM: http://www.securitynewsportal.com/index.shtml
"A settlement has been reached in a class action lawsuit over McAfee VirusScan versions 3 and 4. If you are a U.S. resident and you bought a retail version of McAfee VirusScan version 3 or version 4, then you are a member of the class.

As a member of the class, you may receive a free download version of your choice of one of the three McAfee perpetual products: (1) VirusScan version 8, (2) AntiSpyware version 1.0, or (3) QuickClean version 4.01 (collectively "Software").

In order to receive your free Software download, you must do the following:

1. Complete the certification form at http://software.mcafee.com/lcas/ Then select Submit.
2. Once you have agreed to the class certification requirements, McAfee will send you an email with a link to download your free software.

NOTE: ALL RIGHTS WILL EXPIRE ON JULY 16, 2004. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE CLASS CERTIFICATION FORM AND DOWNLOAD THE SOFTWARE ON OR BEFORE JULY 16, 2004, OR YOU WILL LOSE YOUR RIGHT TO RECEIVE THE SOFTWARE. "

I hope Norton is next. I actually bought 4.0 from the store a few years ago for like $4 on the clearance rack.

Hmm, even if you bought it from the clearance rack, I believe you are still eligable... :)

Good question. I havent tried to put in a false name & addy yet. I bet someone has to get additional downloads. If you bought it, expect to have to prove you did sometime down the road. (such as a retail box, manual, or the software disk itself.) I bet they will call and or email a few people to see if they are getting ripped off... But all of these downloads? How cost effective would that be?
Simple rule: If you bought the programs that are the items the settlement is about, get your free software. If you didn't, play nice and don't screw it up for the legit downloaders, ok?

HvyMtl said:
Simple rule: If you bought the programs that are the items the settlement is about, get your free software. If you didn't, play nice and don't screw it up for the legit downloaders, ok?

Good plan. :)

Another option is to go and buy one of the pieces of software mentioned in the Class Action Settlement, then you're technically eligible.

Anyone have a clue why they were even the object of a Class Action Suit?

Who knows...half the companies on earth are in the middle of a class action suit.

I used streets and trips to find a fake address (in Acme WA) and submitted it. I put my email address in (the one that ends with a .ca) just to see if they checked anything...Nope, I got an email directiing me to download free software in a matter of seconds.

P.S. - I didn't download any...I have Norton and AVG for virus, Ad-Aware and SpyBot for spy wear and the disk cleanup is a joke! So why would you wnat there programs anyway??

Kroz

why would you want Mcafee? For one thing, if you bought it back then - you are entitled to a new copy, according to this settlement.
Now, I use Avast, AVG and Antivir - and have found them to be (as a group, used together) in my opinion, superior to Norton & Mcafee - and all 3 are free downloads.
I too use adaware and spybot - and also recommend them. Also, I recommend spywareblaster to complete your anti-spy/malware trifecta.
But again, this post isnt for those who want to steal software. It is a post for those who supposedly were mistreated by McAfee and therefore get free software.
So, if you bought that stuff back then, get your freebie now.

Dealnews answered my own question: "The suit alleges that Network Associates didn't provide free lifetime upgrades for the virus software."

There is a lot of good freeware AV programs out there. I just realized I haven't downloaded AVG since I reformatted last week. :eek:

Why would you need to use AVG, Avast, and Antivir all at once? Shouldn't one be enough?

For the same reason I use more than one spyware scanner.......occasionally, one will miss something that the other one doesnt. Better safe than sorry.

So, due to the ending of the free antivirus definition updates, Mcafee got hit with a class action suit and lost. I then expect the same for Norton as they supposedly ended free updates for their antivirus programs too...
As the Monkey said, more than one antivirus is a good idea (tho I prolly am going a little bit overboard with 3) as if one misses a virus the other usually will catch it. Better safe than, OMG were my software go???

Back