Free motherboard at NewEgg.. Today only!

enraged78 said:
Thought you guys might like to see this. Paired with a cheap chip, this would make a decent system. Can't beat free.

More like $90 - only $0 after 2 mail-in-rebates from Soyo.

Is that a good MB? I have AMD want p4. Rant; I always wanted pentium but they are too damn expensive. I remember I wanted a PIII when it was new now some one gives me there old computer and it has a PIII in it [/rant>

Format _C: said:
Is that a good MB? I have AMD want p4. Rant; I always wanted pentium but they are too damn expensive. I remember I wanted a PIII when it was new now some one gives me there old computer and it has a PIII in it [/rant>

You have an A7N8X Deluxe. Don't do it. Get a Mobile 2600+ and call it a day. Don't ever get rid of that motherboard. I sold mine a few weeks ago and wish I hadn't. Having the extra speed of the FX's is nice, but I have never heard a better sounding audio card as the SoundStorm through a digital amplifier, and the board itself is one of my favorites.

Matt.

I can see why there trying to get rid of this board

it's the chipset. It's ati's LOL!!!!

i would never buy somthing so flaky in my life..just like there vid cards..flaky.. :D

can see why there trying to get rid of this board

it's the chipset. It's ati's LOL!!!!

i would never buy somthing so flaky in my life..just like there vid cards..flaky..

Yeah, this is coming from someone that has an NForce board, the most troublesome chipset in the history of motherboards. And there is NO WAY you can argue the point.

How soon we forget.

Heads up - just in my circle of friends and colleagues, we are seeing a 6 month wait for Soyo rebate fulfillment. Folks that bought and submitted in March got their rebates last month. One guy is still waiting for his January rebate.

Soyo's rebate center website has information that reads along the lines of "Don't email us asking for a status on your rebate. We will not be able to answer, and it will only slow your rebate down." Huh? So not only will you not answer, you'll delay my rebate?

Thanks.

(Personal opinion: not worth the 90 bucks you may never get back to take the risk.)

brywalker said:
Yeah, this is coming from someone that has an NForce board, the most troublesome chipset in the history of motherboards. And there is NO WAY you can argue the point.

How soon we forget.

Let's see...how can I put this nicely.... you're wrong. He has an Nforce 2 board for one. The Nforce2 is argueably the best chipset for the Athlon XP. Second, I've built machines around the ATI chipset in question and I had a lot of problems with all of them. ATI's gen 2 stuff looks to be better, but no one knows for sure yet.

Also, SOYO rebates have gotta be the worst in the industry. They say right on the rebate forms it takes a minimum of 10 weeks to process your rebate after they get it. Good luck even getting the rebate in 10 months. I bit on a similar deal a few months back against my better judgement and I'm still out my $75. I'll pass on this one.

I can chime in about the Nforce since I have one. It was a problem at first, but after a BIOS flash, some new drivers, and configuration, I have had very few problems with it. I just recently ran it for nearly two weeks straight at full load almost the entire time. Only reason I rebooted is because IE started acting up... So there is my defence of the first nforce chipset.

Just so I am kind of on topic... I'm not going to buy this. $90 is too much of a risk for what you get IMHO.

brywalker said:

How soon we forget.

OMG, Nvidia's motherboards are great compared to Via boards. They've gotten a lot better, lately. But VIA 4-in-1, back in the days of the P3.... it was HORRIBLE!!

Mobo stability:
1 - Intel
2 - Nvidia
3 - Via
3 - ATI
3 - SIS

Intel is heads above everyone else, then Nvidia is pretty good, then Via, ATI and SIS are probably in a 3 way tie for 3rd place, far below Intel.

Not only are the early generation ATI chipsets lesser to Intel's chipsets (I do not want to call them sub-par), combine that with a SOYO manufactured board at a time when SOYO was having all kinds of problems with their entire line of boards and BIOS (personal expirience), I would think twice about obtaining this board.

However, if the rebates CAN be had (less then 50% chance), then coupled with an inexpensive S-478 P4, this would make a good platform for a budget computer.

As far as NForce chipsets go... yes the original NForce was not a great performer... what do you expect from a first attempt? That is exactly what this particular ATI chipset is... first attempt! The NForce2, especially the 400ultra's rock! some of the earlier NForce2 boards had problems, because some of the motherboard manufacturers tried to cut some corners with NVidia's specs/reference design. The first S-754 was the same way, but the NForce3-GB/Ultra, and the up and coming NForce4 have great promise! Even the latest announced ATI chipset for A64 looks very promising!

By the looks of things, we have a few "All and Only Intel Inside" Fan-boys lurking here! ;-)

enraged78 said:
I have never heard a better sounding audio card as the SoundStorm through a digital amplifier, and the board itself is one of my favorites.

Matt.

ur f'n crazy... obviously u have never used an audigy 2...

OptPrime said:
ur f'n crazy... obviously u have never used an audigy 2...

Nope, I have heard an audigy 2. But before you flip out, try this: Run a soundstorm through an amplifier with 6.1 or higher dolby digital through an optical or coaxial out. Now go and play a game, or listen to some .MP3's. As far as my ears can tell, I've yet to hear better from a PC.

Matt.

brywalker said:

How soon we forget.

I have never ONCE had a problem with my Nforce2 board..
hell
i will only deal in VIA and nVidia

i have built some ati machines for some friend's. but i tell you what..i took hammers to each and every one of them i built..sorry i can't stand ati in either video or mobo..

and right now i have a A64 3200+ winchester with a ABIT AV8..VIA MOBO...so there ya go. and my LAN box is now my nForce2 board and 2500M

i will be posting a small review of the A64 i got with the abit mobo..soon :D

There are 2 threads on this because this was the same deal (or similar) that they had about 1-2 weeks ago.

Heres the jist of what ppl said on that other thread:
- the Mobo was crap that sometimes didnt work
- it took 6+ months for you to get your rebates. So that the $$ you paid for the mobo was a sort of loan.
- there was a bit of confusion about the 2 seperate rebates and how to redeem them. The answer to the confusion was to put both rebates in 1 envelope with the 2 proofs of purchase found on the packaging and send them to the address provided by Soyo.
- It was concluded that you did in fact get your rebate back. However, the wait was very long. Hence the conclusion that it was a sort of loan and you were being paid interest in the form of a free mobo & cpu.

chrisf6969 said:
OMG, Nvidia's motherboards are great compared to Via boards. They've gotten a lot better, lately. But VIA 4-in-1, back in the days of the P3.... it was HORRIBLE!!

Mobo stability:
1 - Intel
2 - Nvidia
3 - Via
3 - ATI
3 - SIS

Intel is heads above everyone else, then Nvidia is pretty good, then Via, ATI and SIS are probably in a 3 way tie for 3rd place, far below Intel.

I've been playing around with all of those names since the pentium mmx and I'd have to say the SiS 735/745 completely bucks the trend. I have a quick system on a *gasp* ecs mobo running the SiS 735 and it's 100% stable. I also built a machine around the nforce 1 and, though it wasn't the fastest, it was stable and worked well for my purposes (girlfriend's college computer a few years ago).

B

I'm still waiting on a $75 rebate from Soyo, and have that motherboard sitting around....so I think I'll pass.

Have you ever tried getting a rebate from SOYO? They are virtually non-existent. They take forever or deny you based on BS.

Stability wise, SiS > Via, IMHO.

Seriously. ALL of SiS chipsets since the 735 have been quick, and rock solid. As a computer shop owner, all I build for my cheap-ass systems, are ECS boards with the SiS chipset. Dirt cheap, and rock solid.

Back