Free Phone Number for messages

Without paying, all the number will do for you is record messages, which you can listen to from your computer. But it is a real number that people can call from any phone. I like using it to fill out these free stuff forms when I'm scared of getting a bunch of telemarketer calls on my regular phone :)
http://www.aimphoneline.com/index.adp

oh and you can receive calls and talk if you have a mic, but I don't believe you can start the calls

Pulling this back up from the archives... But, there is another Free Phone Number service, as an alternative to AIM's.

Its by Netzero:

http://www.privatephone.com/

Works pretty good. It is a free phone number (you choose the location, so it can be local), and it is for incoming calls only. Anyone can call it, and leave you a voice mail, which you will get via email as an attachment. Pretty cool, and great to use in those freebie forms, as the OP mentions...

thx OP

and jam, if i read netzero's details correctly, netzero comes with 10 free months of dial up. could be handy if you're somewhere and need dial up.

How well/efficient are both of these and which one seems to work better? Any weird catches to watch out for?

t00thless said:
thx OP
and jam, if i read netzero's details correctly, netzero comes with 10 free months of dial up. could be handy if you're somewhere and need dial up.
Yeah, Netzero was one of the best FREE Dialup ISP, long time ago.. They are the only remaining few (if not only one), that still have FREE dialup. Its dialup, so its slow, and you have to use their dialer, which shows ads (that's why its free), but yes, its definitely handy if you're traveling, and have a laptop, for email checking & stuff...

Now, back to topic:

Gilthanis said:
How well/efficient are both of these and which one seems to work better? Any weird catches to watch out for?
I Like Netzero's service better.. Mainly 'cause its not AOL :D

But, all kidding aside, Netzero lets you forward the voice mail messages to ANY email, while AOL's service only lets you do it to your AOL email. Also, you can keep picking different phone #'s, if you happen to not like the one they give you, while signing up. (Once you finish the sign up, you can't) AOL won't let you do that at all.

Netzero is also easier to use. You can setup your greeting, pin, etc.. by calling your number, and doing it all over the phone (much you your Cell Phone).
Conversely for AOL, you have to record yourself on the computer and mail AOL the recording, or something stupid like that.

I haven't found any catches at all... You can even use fake info ;)

BTW, it's nice being able to text message your cell when you have a message on the NetZero line. :cool:

Back