Free Technet Subscriptions

I got in on this, but won't be heart-broken if it goes poof. My goal is primarily self-improvement/study to keep on top of the IT game. It's much easier playing with MOSS, SQL, and Exchange when you aren't worried about it going poof after 120 days.

i dont see it going bad. microsoft has had these links open now forever in internet time.. they know exactly what theyre doing (giving away thousands of win7 and office keys, basically).

Well I just got a message from Microsoft concerning the quota limit, and stating that this deal wasn't valid outside the United Kingdom.

I requested 1 key, and that was for WHS. all of the PC's on my network already have legit OS's (thanks to the windows feedback incentive last year) and copies of office. All my families PC's have legit OS's as well. I've been running trials of WHS for over a year, re installing every 120 days. not any more

Yeah, I grabbed a WHS key and iso. I also grabbed 2 Vista keys because I have 2 boxes here that run only W7 and I'd like to have back up OS's until RTM.

I requested 1 key, and that was for WHS. all of the PC's on my network already have legit OS's (thanks to the windows feedback incentive last year) and copies of office. All my families PC's have legit OS's as well. I've been running trials of WHS for over a year, re installing every 120 days. not any more

Yeah...the Windows Feedback thing was how I got my original copies of Vista and Office. And even before that I got Vista Business through that PowerTogether deal they had going. I just realized I haven't bought an OS for anything for probably over 6 years now due to these deals and it looks like it will hopefully continue. Not that I wouldn't mind buying 7 anyway. But if I don't have to and it's legit, I wont be complaining. :)

What's interesting is I have access to the download site, but it won't generate keys for the software.

There's an issue with the key access currently. Look on page 4 here.

Page 2 for me. :)

In any case I'll just download what I need, and try to get keys for what I need later. It says my subscription is still active so if the servers are just hammered then everything seems fine.

I've managed to get keys for XP Pro, Vista Ultimate x64, and Office 07 so far. Though its been at different parts of the day. Seems to working-ish at the moment.

I got my Windows Home Server keys and am at 71% download, so I am happy. TBH I did not see anything else on there that I needed/wanted.

If you keep closing the error window and trying again, it will eventually give you keys.

yeah, that works. Still showing my sub as 1/1/1900, but everytime I talk to a CS rep, they assure me that my subscription won't be canceled.

i just signed up my bro. for whatever reason, i get the 'cookie' block with my laptop... whatever browser, and so does he. on my desktop, ie doesnt work either, but firefox does still work.

i signed up with his info and now he has a sub. it IS still working... that damn cookie enabled error is weird though. and no, im not going to sit here and order subs for people :p

i just signed up my bro. for whatever reason, i get the 'cookie' block with my laptop... whatever browser, and so does he. on my desktop, ie doesnt work either, but firefox does still work.

i signed up with his info and now he has a sub. it IS still working... that damn cookie enabled error is weird though. and no, im not going to sit here and order subs for people :p

pretty please with sugar on top.. :p

^^ im locked out! after i signed up my bro, it said "this order had already been processed" when i tried again (dad needs a technet :D ). so i closed ff, ran ccleaner, and now it give the cookie error. in ff, ie, chrome... all do it now.

funs over for me i guess.

Signed up this morning, activated, got in, still able to get in, expiry still shows 1/1/1900.

Downloaded Vista Ultimate Retail (x64) w/SP2 and (after a few tries) got a few keys for it (no more than I'll need).

That makes it worthwhile for me, assuming the keys don't get revoked later.

Signed up this morning, activated, got in, still able to get in, expiry still shows 1/1/1900.

Downloaded Vista Ultimate Retail (x64) w/SP2 and (after a few tries) got a few keys for it (no more than I'll need).

That makes it worthwhile for me, assuming the keys don't get revoked later.

ive never heard of any windows key ever being revoked in any case. i have been asking people for years for a link to a story or blog where someone who had a valid key one point was denied later. it doesnt happen.

My expiration date hasn't changed yet and I signed up at 6:30pm est yesterday. Is it taking this long for anyone else? I've gotten two keys for office and vista but I'd really like to keep this for Windows 7.

^^ im locked out! after i signed up my bro, it said "this order had already been processed" when i tried again (dad needs a technet :D ). so i closed ff, ran ccleaner, and now it give the cookie error. in ff, ie, chrome... all do it now.

funs over for me i guess.

you signed up close to me I think and i'm still able to get in. I think you bugged something when you tried to sign up again ><

My expiration date hasn't changed yet and I signed up at 6:30pm est yesterday. Is it taking this long for anyone else? I've gotten two keys for office and vista but I'd really like to keep this for Windows 7.

Took ~2 days for mine to change. Now that this offer has hit every major tech site, and continues to be posted multiple times in each location, It might take longer.

ive been trying that link and i get "In order to use this site, you must have Cookies Enabled on your browser."

o wells.. i snoozed and i lost

there was definitely something going on with the cookies. i think in my case, i went to that order page yesterday when it was still working... but didnt order again then. so today since my cookies were still in tact it still let me in. everyone i ask now is getting the cookie error, so im guessing they simply stopped activating cookies instead of disabling the order form (in case people let their sessions time-out like i did)

you signed up close to me I think and i'm still able to get in. I think you bugged something when you tried to sign up again ><

i didnt mean the technet sub... i meant locked out of the order page... the page everyone else is locked out of too. my sub still works great.

All these issues... So happy I got in early. Expiration date of 6/1/2010 ftw.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

I think I managed to get it again....last year for $99, this year for free (cross fingers). Honestly, I would pay MS $100 every year if I could keep the machines in my home with current software (OS, office, etc).

Use IE8 x64, no cookie errors at all.

This is frustrating, I've used 3 different machines to test this, all the same cookie error.

One of the machines has a fresh install of xp 32bit, all the updates but otherwise NOTHING even installed yet.

I've tried on Vista x64 ultimate, winxp x64 and 32bit, all have the same problem.

Doesn't make sense why some have this problem and others don't.

I think I managed to get it again....last year for $99, this year for free (cross fingers). Honestly, I would pay MS $100 every year if I could keep the machines in my home with current software (OS, office, etc).

x2 If it was $100 a year I would enter into a 5+ year contract with them without a second thought.

Use IE8 x64, no cookie errors at all.

you probably logged onto that page before they disabled the cookies at the server end. you got the chance to order one more sub if youre still seeing the order page, so if i were you id do it!

SUPER ninja EDIT-

Workaround for cookie error!

using google, search for the buy page link, and use google's cache link. IT WORKS. but this is pretty grey line between right and wrong... but it works. dont let anyone else see this

Last edited:
and i mean it when i say it works. i signed up dad with his live account. i got 2 new vista keys just for him.

not sure what it means. it might still actually be a real problem with their servers, and they actually do want people to still sign up. you would seriously think that order page would be disabled- or the price changed at very least if they didnt want this to be going on.

I also got the email saying it was for UK users only, but I had already added the sub to my live account and it works, my expiration date changed from 1/1/1900 to 6/1/2010.

Is anyone else having this problem? I login to technet, click on manage subscriptions and my subscription is no longer there. I then go to downloads and all of the download links and keys links are dead. Any ideas?

Just noticed that aswell, only in IE though, still works in Firefox but when I click download nothing happens.

Back