Free Windows Home Server (120 Trial)

How long is the key valid for? What does eval limit you to? Just 'home' use?

You get the same 120 day eval key that you would recieve via mail. As for its limit, the only restriction is that you cant sell, or transfer the keys. This program is for testing and feedback of WHS and i do not believe that it has any "use" restrictions.

I'll stick with Linux, most distros have an unlimited "free trial". I don't really see the point in getting 120 days of OS for free, unless you're planning on pirating it. Why would I want to install an OS for 3 months?

I'll stick with Linux, most distros have an unlimited "free trial". I don't really see the point in getting 120 days of OS for free, unless you're planning on pirating it. Why would I want to install an OS for 3 months?

That's 4 months, which I'd say gives adequate time to eval the software. At that point, they obviously want you to just buy it. So I'm sure you could change the product key inside of WHS, and activate it with something legit.

That's 4 months, which I'd say gives adequate time to eval the software. At that point, they obviously want you to just buy it. So I'm sure you could change the product key inside of WHS, and activate it with something legit.

True, I can't count :D

Show me a linux package that can do the same function as WHS with the same performance and the same simplicity....

I finally got mine (1) last week, and have 3 more in the mail and just ordered 4 more.

I got my three in the mail yesterday... now I don't know what to do with them.

Got all 6 of mine today.. here they are along with some other trial products!

14t0ole.jpg

Thanks for sharing this, I'm gonna give it a try next week. =)

I put it on a spare laptop. Its very cool.

Do any of the other MS servers on Technet do something similar? I want to keep using something like this when the trial expires, and Home Server isn't on Technet.

Got three today. I helped beta test WHS, and found a few bugs. But, together with the power pack, it's supposed to be a LOT better. I'm going to let my dad try it out and he'll probably go with it. I'm using Server 2003 right now, and I like it. WHS is simple, plug it in and it goes. I am wanting to keep my house a domain with AD, so WHS is out... For now.

I got an idea, since so many people have Windows Home Server now, there should be a Windows Home Server sub forum in Disk Storage Systems.

I got an idea, since so many people have Windows Home Server now, there should be a Windows Home Server sub forum in Disk Storage Systems.

Why not under OS? I kinda understand where you're coming from, but I have to say that if I was looking for info on WHS, I'd search under OS.

I suspect that's where most would look, because often people looking into WHS aren't sure why they'd need it.

With that said, regardless of where such a forum ends up, I think it makes sense to have a spot to discuss it.

I was going to put together a file server/back up rig, but does Windows Home server offer the same "game playing" so to speak(lol) as XP for example would, I like the interface of this.

You can make it so to look inside a hard drive, you must have a password?

Why not under OS? I kinda understand where you're coming from, but I have to say that if I was looking for info on WHS, I'd search under OS.

I suspect that's where most would look, because often people looking into WHS aren't sure why they'd need it.

With that said, regardless of where such a forum ends up, I think it makes sense to have a spot to discuss it.

Ya under OS would be better. Who should I pm, a mod? or Kyle?

Got three today. I helped beta test WHS, and found a few bugs. But, together with the power pack, it's supposed to be a LOT better. I'm going to let my dad try it out and he'll probably go with it. I'm using Server 2003 right now, and I like it. WHS is simple, plug it in and it goes. I am wanting to keep my house a domain with AD, so WHS is out... For now.
I was in the WHS beta, but could never get the damn thing to work on my hardware. Pretty standard fair, intel chipset, ATi card. It would install, but never connect to anything.

I'll see if the new one works any better.

Any reason why everyone is getting 3? Or simply because if it is free, might as well get as many as you can? :)

If someone has an extra, PM me. :)

Any reason why everyone is getting 3? Or simply because if it is free, might as well get as many as you can? :)

"If thou is free-ith, thou shall take-ith."

Just ordered a few as well. Seems like a great deal even if it's for a few months. :)

If someone has an extra, PM me. :)

it's a 120 trial, if you like it but dont want to buy it just do a server re install, getting three of them gives you a years worth

Back