Free Windows Vista Ultimate

HardOCP News

[H] News
Check it out, a free copy of Vista Ultimate. Yes, there are strings attached but it may be worth it for a lot of you out there.

Need a free copy of Windows Vista Ultimate? Are you incredibly trusting of big corporations? Well I have the deal for you, with a new program through Microsoft called the Windows Feedback Program. For the small price of privacy and perhaps some dignity, you can let Microsoft watch your every move for 3 months, in return for some software of your choice.

Man, that's a great deal. All you'd have to do is relegate your "less than legal" activities to another OS or machine and you'd be fine. Although it would be funny to spend the whole time downloading pirated coppies of MS operating systems and software.

wonder if i'm going to have to flee the country because of this

For the small price of privacy and perhaps some dignity, you can let Microsoft watch your every move for 3 months, in return for some software of your choice.

If it's just for 3 months that's not too bad..

can I put it on a second partition dual boot and never use it for that 3 months?
HOW do you know that in 3 months they will leave you alone?

can I put it on a second partition dual boot and never use it for that 3 months?

Come on it's Microsoft, you can "TRUST" them. :)

Actually I'm probably gonna sign up for it since all I do with my PC is school work and play WoW. I could use a free copy of Vista for the wife's PC.

im in
lettting the software sit on a computer that's hardly used, and taking a couple surveys every now and then? may as well

uninstall software / report their e-mails as spam after you get the Windows ME V2.0 in the mail

I'm game. RIAA watches you anyways. Whats one more? :p

They will notify you by email if its not transmitting any data.

I wonder if you run a legit copy of XP in a VM and install the software there?????

;)

I'll try it tonight \o/

I have a spare PC...probably use it in a virtual machine or something I don't care about. I have enough PCs that I don't give a shit about to use for this.

I signed up, but am waiting on my email....

I'd use my backup computer for this if I decided to participate. All I use that one for is reading wikipedia.

I'm in for it, will be installing it on my work PC and then letting it be!

Thats what I did too, but it does ask you if you own the PC you are installing it on.

If they give me any hassle I will just put it on my Vista Media Center.

I'm in. Software is in C:\Program Files\Microsoft Windows Feedback Panel.

No uninstall option. Oh well, give me that Vista!

I havent installed the software yet - waiting to do that on a spare box at home. But I've yet to read anything that would prevent you from just putting it on a spare box and formatting it after the 3 months and you get the goods... so yeah.

Hmmm... Is ultimate really worth them watching my family's comp for three months? I already have a legit copy of Business through my school.

I think i'll skip this one. I don't need to add onto the list of people watching my every move....

I would just make sure the spare box is a legit activated copy of windows ;)

I am in. I got it on my only computer. I been wanting to get Vista anyways but not in a huge hurry.

Based on the responses thus far, I bet this program doesn't give MS the data they're looking for :)

Here's the data they collect

3. Additional data collection
The following list describes some examples of additional data collection our software performs:

* Windows settings and usage, such as the number of user accounts on the computer and the view settings for Control Panel (that is, if you use the default Category view or the Classic view to display Control Panel).
* Details about your computer hardware, such as processor type and speed (as well as the number of processors), system memory, video memory, and other hardware configuration information.
* File and folder information, such as the number of files and folders located in common places (for example, in Documents).
* Which programs you open (for example, which application you use to read your e-mail).
* Changes you make to your hardware or software.
* Problems you encounter, such as application crashes.

This type of data collection can provide Microsoft with useful data, such as:

* Identification of top user problems; for example, how often does a computer crash or stop? How often do customers update Windows? How often are problems reported?
* How customers use their computers; for example, how often do customers use their computers? How often do they connect to the Internet? How long do they stay connected?
* How users store files on computers; for example, how much storage space do customers have on their computers? How much storage space is used? Where do customers store their files?

We do not intentionally collect sensitive information, such as the passwords on the user accounts, the contents of any of your personal files, the name or HTTP address of any of the websites you mark as Favorites, or what websites you visit.

I didn't see the privacy statement or the FAQ include anything about validating your current copy of windows either.

Hm, I wonder if they mind me running it on my "borrowed" copy of XP and the blatantly pirated version of Office. Though I may just uninstall that and use Open Office for 3 months. That'll show them... and maybe hit up a long list of pron sites to boot :p

what people will do for a freebie.

I just cannot believe that you're all willing to help MS develop spying software just for a free copy of that bloated OS.

Argggggh !

:mad::(:mad::confused::eek::(:mad::confused:

what people will do for a freebie.

I just cannot believe that you're all willing to help MS develop spying software just for a free copy of that bloated OS.

Argggggh !

:mad::(:mad::confused::eek::(:mad::confused:

*offers you a tinfoil hat*

It's just a survey software. Microsoft's been doing this for a long time. They do this to see how the average people use their computer so they can improve on their products.

Vista is not bloated too. No more so than any other modern operating systems.

man this is where it pays to work in IT and have access to hundreds of computers and email addresses.

hmm tried burning a dvd right after I installed it. buffer kept dropping. burn speed dropped to 4x. don't have anything monitoring hd activity, but nothing else should have been taxing it.

Didn't a moderator recently lock a thread regarding a cooler master contest?? How is this contest different ?

I guess rules bend around here.

Heck, I'm going to do this on my school laptop. The IT department is already monitoring it, so I only do school work and play some TF2 on it. After 3 months I'll just go get my laptop re-imaged :)

I installed it in my work PC. If Microsoft saw my home PC or my network shares, Bill himself will be kicking down my front door.

i don't have anything to hide, but i can't find anything written in the fine print that says when it will expire or stop. anyone?

i don't have anything to hide, but i can't find anything written in the fine print that says when it will expire or stop. anyone?

Stop reading the fine print and read the bold print. It says 3 months. As plain as day.

Going to let them monitor one of my idle all the time work computers. Should be fun, and quite uninformative for them!

I'd much rather have the Office 2007 Ultimate than the OS, because I don't care for Vista much and I love MS, plus if I really wanted to use it, I have the Business version at work to use.

I've signed up and yet to receive the email linkage.......anyone else having this problem? Nothing in spam, junk, or any area and I know I gave the right address.

I've signed up and yet to receive the email linkage.......anyone else having this problem? Nothing in spam, junk, or any area and I know I gave the right address.

It took me about 10-15 minutes to receive their email. I used my Gmail account. The contact name will be winsurv.

Well I have Ubuntu and Windows XP on one HD, lets say I replace Ubuntu with the Vista and don't use it for 3 months but I do use XP and do some things that MS wouldn't approve of. Would they be alerted of any activity on my computer or just activity done while using Vista?

Back