FREEZE and DISTORTED colors on Vista 64 startup?

oymd

Weaksauce
I had a fresh install 4 days ago of Vista 64. Every now and then...at STARTUP ONLY...the desktop goes mosaic...and color get distorted...and PC FREEZES...

I uploaded a few pics of the FREEZE....

its either this...or a blank yellow screen....

ONLY happens at startup...never during actual use...??

Sometimes during startup...it looks like it WILL happen...and it actually happens for a FRACTION of a second...and then all goes fine???

Is this a POWER SUPPLY issue....maybe power to the Graphic card?...I am using the PCI to 2 molex connectors that came with the card....both molexes are plugged in....

The Power supply is a 420W Chieftec (came with my Antec/Chieftec) case. Its been working very well now for 5 years...

Q6600 @ 2.4Ghz
GV-NX88T512HP: 8800GT 512
GV-EP-P35-DS3L
A-Data 2x2GB 800Mhz ram
WD Caviar 500GBAAKS
LG DVDRW
Firewire PCI card

CIMG9182.jpg

CIMG9183.jpg

my 7600GT was doing that right before it blew 2 caps and died, it still displays, but now it just freezes, goes to a blank screen, and shows my desktop (frozen) with a distorted blocks of colors all over the place, Is your Video card overheating, running hot?

my 7600GT was doing that right before it blew 2 caps and died, it still displays, but now it just freezes, goes to a blank screen, and shows my desktop (frozen) with a distorted blocks of colors all over the place, Is your Video card overheating, running hot?

No...and its just 4 days old!!

iS YOURS BY gigabyte AS WELL??

I have posted in the OP's other thread.

The 420W PSU of the OP has 50% of the power on the 5v rail so is very lacking in 12v power (max 15-16A). Driving a Q6600, 2 HDD's and a pritty hungry GPU I think have pushed it over the top. It also has no PCIe connectors (using 2x molex to power it) and only a 20 pin ATX plug for a 24pin board (should not normally cause a problem).

Other thread http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1032616009#post1032616009

I have posted in the OP's other thread.

The 420W PSU of the OP has 50% of the power on the 5v rail so is very lacking in 12v power (max 15-16A). Driving a Q6600, 2 HDD's and a pritty hungry GPU I think have pushed it over the top. It also has no PCIe connectors (using 2x molex to power it) and only a 20 pin ATX plug for a 24pin board (should not normally cause a problem).

Other thread http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1032616009#post1032616009

OK...I can confirm....

the problem was the GAMING HUD software that came with the card, that controls all the voltages and speeds...etc...

Uninstalled it....all fine now for ~24 ours...

Still I'm gonna buy a PS today...:D

Back